IGNORED

Best Hybrid Out of Rough

Note: This thread is 4654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently am playing a Sonartec 17* Hybrid (which I love), but it's more of a fairway/driving hybrid with how to face sits on the ground. The country club I play at has super thick high rough and I need to add a hybrid that will be able to slice through the rough (as best one can, sometimes an iron is a must), and also has a good degree of forgiveness because let's face it, you dont have a lot of control in thick rough. I was thinking maybe something from 19-21*, so if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks!
In My White Hoofer Extreme Bag:
909D3 9.5º w/Fujikira Rombax 6X07
MD Hybrid 17º & 21º w/Aldila VS
MP-60 (4-PW)
CG12 Wedges 52º, 56º, & 60º Newport 2 Putter Pro V1

Hey, im not a hybird person but. But the ones ive liked are the I15 and the Srixon Hybird.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

I would say the TaylorMade Raylor. That club was basically designed to get balls out of the rough. I have also found it to be good off of the fairway too. I just bought mine this winter and there is still snow on the ground so I can't clerify with any experience whether or not it lives up to the hype.
Driver- SuperTri 9.5*
Wood- 906 F2 13*
Hybrids- Rescue TP 17*
Irons(4-PW)- R9 TP w/ KBS Tour
Wedge-ZTP 52* w/ KBS Tour Wedge-58* VokeyPutter- Studio Select New Port 2 Mid-SlantBall-TP Black/Red

I have tried all the major brands hybrids (Ping, Titleist, Taylormade etc) and the Taylormade Raylor is fantastic out of the rough, it doesn't get caught up it just slices through the thicket. I like to shape my shots a little so I prefer the smaller Titleist 909H but if I had to chose a hybrid just for the rough I would take the Raylor.
Boom Stick: 907 D2 w/accuflex The juice
3 wood: 909F2 w/Fujikura Motore F1 55
Hybrid: 909H 19* w/Fujikura Motore F1 80HB
Irons: 2010 AP2 (3-PW) w/Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges: Spinmilled 54*, 60*Putter: 2002 Studio Design 1.5Balls: Pro V1Range Finder: Pro 1600Proud Member of Piranhas Golf Team Ecole de...

I just picked up a Callaway FT (2008 model) hybrid and it hits well out of the rough. I think the sole design allows it to cut through the rough with ease. My previous hybrid was a Nickent 3DX. I loved that thing. It had a very flat sole, though, so it was great off the deck, but found it didn't dig in/through the thick stuff very well.

The Callaway X hybrid also has a nice sole design.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

I got 2 for you.
Taylormade Raylor is built just for what you described. I hit it and it is realllly smooth and nice.
Adams A7 hybrid is the reason i dont bag a Raylor. Adams makes the best hybrids and the A7 is the best and smoothest yet. Plus, the shaft it comes with is alone worth about 175 dollars and its worth every penny.

Driver:Taylormade Burner 10.5 with Aldila NV 65S
FW Wood: Nike Dymo 3 Wood with Aldila VooDoo
Hybrids: Adams Idea A7 3 Hybrid
Irons: Ping i15 4-P
Wedge: Cleveland CG15 52.10 and Titleist Vokey 58.12Putter: Bettinardi BC3Ball: Callaway Tour i(z) and Titleist Pro V1x

I have found that the Nike SQ hybrid (3 iron) hits greta out of the rough. It has a fairly straight bottom that seems to cut through the rough quite well.

----------------- IN MY BAG -----------------

Irons: Diable Edge
Gap Wedge: Jaws 52 Degree
Hybrids: 3 & 4 HybridDriver: Diable Edge 9 DegreePutter: White Hot #9 PutterBall: Big Bertha Diablo GPS: uPro

I have Callaway X hybrids (steel shafts), and I find that they cut through the rough better than other (TM) hybrids I've tried.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge 10*
Woods: Mizuno F-60 (15*, 18*); Hybrids: Callaway FT-iZ 21*, Callaway X 24*
Irons: Mizuno MX 25 (5I - GW)
Wedges: Mizuno MP T Chrome (56/10), MP T-10 Black Satin (60/8)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #9

I personally just broke down about 6 months ago and got my first hybrid. 3H (stiff) callaway diablo. I believe its 21 degrees. I cant say what the best is but for me i wouldnt trade this diablo for anything. Im pissed i didnt get one sooner! It is RIDICULOUSLY easy to hit even out of heavy rough. The ball just seems to jump off the club face. Im hitting off the tee, out of rough (light or deep) even out of fairway bunkers.

Greatest club ive ever purchased. Period.

The Raylor sole not only divides the rough for a clean hit it als plays exceptionally well on down hill or up hill lies.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

• 3 months later...
I have the old Taylor Retro Raylor 19 degree and I freaking love that club. It is a update of the original Taylor Raylor and it might be my most consistent club in the bag. It is great for laying up off the tee, going for the green from (for me) 215-225, and ripping it out of the rough. I didn't even know they had a new one out; the new one looks more hybrid-like though.

http://www.wheatroadgolf.com/taylor/rescue.htm

I also have it in a 16, and I have the Taylor Spoon in 13, which I rarely carry.

The 16 and 19 are great clubs; I'd like to try the new one but I doubt I'd like it any better. Some clubs are just perfect designs for certain players. My old copper Ping Eye 2 irons still rock. The retro raylor was every bit as good to me when I played to under a two handicap years ago, as it is today now that I hack it up.

These reviews are old, but it works every bit as good today as it did when I bought it 5 years ago.
http://www.golfreview.com/cat/fairwa...4_2939crx.aspx

You can get them uber cheap now. ETA: I've been forum reading on this club for a little bit and everyone who owns one still loves it.

I have a Cobra Baffler DWS 21* (2008 model), and I', shopping for the 4h...this thing is incredible...my 3h is my go to club outside of 180 yards...very versatile shapes very well whne I hit it properly, but even on mishits, the trajectory is great.

A few weeks ago I teed off with it on a par 3 215. I hit just shy of the hole and rolled right and back of fairway.

They are great clubs Golf Digest Gold awards in 2008, and you can get them new for $100, or used for $80 or so....a great buy!
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

I have a Cobra Baffler DWS 21* (2008 model), and I', shopping for the 4h...this thing is incredible...my 3h is my go to club outside of 180 yards...very versatile shapes very well whne I hit it properly, but even on mishits, the trajectory is great.

I should have added; the Baffler is, and has always been an awesome club. The prior generations, even the wood one with the brass rails, were always solid clubs.

I like railed clubs. Not only do they provide a "get out of jail free card" from deep rough, they have plenty of other uses as well.

My hybrid (see sig) is really good. Loving it and I used to hate hybrids! 909H

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Baffler gets my vote as well, I also play the 2008 DWS in a 3R 20° to replace my 3i.

This club is great off the tee/fairway and out of the rough, it is my goto club as I can hit a variety of shots with it, I love it and would have no other hybrid (have tried the TM/Nike/Pings)

Baffler for me

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

Expect everyone's favorites for replies. That said I like the Bobby Jones hybrids; good out of the rough not so good in the very short stuff (for me) where I use a wood anyway.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

my go-to club for just about everything >170 yards is my Cleveland Hi-Bore 3 hybrid. i rarely hit a bad shot with it from the rough.

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

My Titliest 909H 21* gets my vote
In my Titleist mid-size staff bag:

Driver: 909D2 9.5*
Fairway: 909F3 13*
Hybrids: 909H 17* & 21*Irons AP2 4-PW S300Wedges: Spinmilled 52.08 & 58.08Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 Balls: ProV1, TM Penta

Note: This thread is 4654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!