IGNORED

Golf Galaxy Horror Stories?!?!?

Note: This thread is 5149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I shop in golf galaxy on a regular basis. I manage a retail sporting goods based business, except we don't carry any golf equipment, so I must shop elsewhere. I can honestly say that GG consistently exceeds my high expectations for service. I shop at the one in Arlington, TX, and have also shopped the competition around, from Sports Authority to Golfsmith to Edwin Watts. They are by far the best service around and are very reasonable on clubfitting and repairs.

Your desire to change has to be greater than your desire to stay the same.

Let me clarify a little...

Had an issue with a special order. Some of it was the manufacturer's fault but MOST of the problem was them hastily telling me more information they really didn't know in order to make the sale. Special order was backordered and the way it all went down really screwed me over. Then the return of the special order payment to my account took MUCH longer than it normally would. The whole situation was a real nightmare; I'm leaving some stuff out still, as well.

I prefer Golfsmith, but the nearest ones are Livonia, MI and Columbus...both a few hours away. I'll just have to use the GG store in Akron which is much better than the one near where I live.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Let me clarify a little...

I had a similar experience with Dick's and I understand how you feel. My take on your situation is that there were (almost) 3 parties at fault: the manufacturer, the GG store; and, GG corporate. In my case with Dick's I got screwed out of $30 in shipping charges. I also had a similar experience with a local driving range on a special order.

Going forward (based on my personal experience) I would never special order a club or major purchase from any big box store without getting a receipt with the stipulation that the order is null and void if the delivery was later than promised. I get mental on these issues also. I don't think I would special order anything from anyone except direct from Callaway. Anyway, I feel your aggravation.
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

I got the full refund, but they took FOREVER to credit back my account

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I've got a Golfsmith and a Golf Galaxy within 10 minutes of my house. I prefer Golfsmith. I don't have a particular "horror story" about Golf Galaxy, but they just seem to feel more like the Walmart of golf stores. I don't know if they are understaffed, trained differently, or perhaps I just pick bad days to go....but I just don't find them as warm and welcoming as Golfsmith in the customer service department.

The prices and product selection is always the same, so it's not like I am drawn to store on those factors (unfortunatley).....so...service becomes the reason I choose a shopping destination. I just don't feel like I get it at Golf Galaxy. And the "Hello" or "Welcome" shout I get from the service counter everytime I walk in the front door at G.G. doesn't count as customer service.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

I've always had good experiences with GG. They are always super friendly and willing to help.

My .02

Irons - nike.gif Forged Blades / Project X 7.0

Driver - nike.gif VR Pro Ltd. Edition 8.5° / FUBUKI Alpha 70x

Wood - nike.gif SQ 3+ 13° / Stock Diamana S-Flex
Wedges - cleveland.gif Tour Action Gunmetal Reg 588 54° & 60° / DG S400
Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Bag - nike.gif SQ Tour Carry

Like many of us, I have made many golf purchases both at brick-and-mortar stores and online. 99% of the time, there are no issues. That's why most of the responses regarding any merchant come back positive. You separate the wheat from the chaff by how they treat you during the 1% of the time there are issues. I had one large online merchant refuse to refund return shipping on a purchase of a known defective product (they admitted knowing about the defect for 6 months, yet kept selling that product online. The "customer service" manager stated that I was lucky to even be offered a refund on the product without prepaid return shipping). That was the worst experience. On the other hand, I had a large Ebay golf merchant run out of the product for an auction I won. They emailed me apologizing and stating that if I ever saw the same product on their Ebay site or on their own website in the future, they would honor my auction price.

In post like this, it would be enlightening to hear from other customers who have had issues with vendor XXX to see how their problems were resolved.

I have always had good experiences with GG. I actually go out of my way to purchase with them vs. other retailers. If you know your stuff you can always ask a few questions and test them. I've found them to have friendly and knowledgeable staff.

Golfsmith on the other hand... I have to wonder if arrogance is a corporate requirement. Not a single positive experience in multiple visits. No more chances.
What's in the bag...

Driver --- G15 9* Aldila Serrano
3 Wood - Sumo2 15* Aldila NV
5 Wood - Versus 19* Mitsubishi Bassara 83Irons ---- X-Forged 4 - PWWedges - Vokey S.M. 52.08, 56.08 & 60.08Putter --- Futura PhantomBall ------ Tour i(s)

I've got a Golfsmith and a Golf Galaxy within 10 minutes of my house. I prefer Golfsmith. I don't have a particular "horror story" about Golf Galaxy, but they just seem to feel more like the

WalMart in what sense? GG has a full range of moderate to high-end merchandise, and GG specializes in golf. And, I have been favorably impressed with multiple GG stores I have visited.

Also, GG doesn't really qualify as a big box store, which would carry a wide range of merchandise. GG structures itself as a golf superstore, not a general-merchandise big box store.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

WalMart in what sense? GG has a full range of moderate to high-end merchandise, and GG specializes in golf. And, I have been favorably impressed with multiple GG stores I have visited.

In the customer service sense. Every time I go in there I feel like I'm ignored (again, other than the routine "Hello" when you walk in the door) and the sales people are either a.) standing around talking to each other or b.) busy restocking and straightening out merchandise. That's what I mean....just doesn't seem "welcoming" in the customer service sense - like Walmart. BUT....as another person pointed out, they had the exact opposite experience - bad Golfsmith visit and great Golf Galaxy visit. So...I guess it is subjective to a particular store, staff and day.

Frankly, when it comes to merchandise selection and pricing, Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy may as well be the same store.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

We have a Golf Galaxy and a Nevada Bob's within a couple of blocks of one another in Madison. I've done business with both. The Golf Galaxy is a nice store with helpful friendly people. It is obvious that they toe the corporate line with respect to charges, etc. I have no complaints with them. I think they are top-notch. At Nevada Bob's, they carry significantly more used clubs, so I like to go there and poke around during lunch every once in awhile. However, the biggest thing is that everyone in the store makes you feel like you are one of their best buddies. This is especially true of the manager, who knew my name after about the third or fourth time I came into the store. I've told him about on-line prices on some purchases, and he usually matches them, telling me, "I want your business." Because it is such a pleasure dealing with them, I have bought two sets of clubs there and several used clubs, along with balls, tees, etc. All things considered, I would prefer to pay them more for the same thing I could get for less money off E-bay, if they are in the ballpark. I always give them a shot at my business, and occasionally I'm told that they just can't match a price, but I really appreciate their honesty and their desire to do everything they can for you. They have a right to a fair profit, and I know it is much more expensive to run a brick and mortar store... I do business there because I like having them there.

• 2 weeks later...
Brookfield, WI (Milwaukee Area) has a great staff. There are a couple guys that I really enjoy working with and Mark the PGA pro is also decent. There are a couple guys there I don't like as well but overall good experience.

2010 Staff Bag
2010 S2 Driver - Stiff - (-.5")
2010 S2 3 Wood - Stiff
2010 Baffler TWS Hybrids 3 & 4
2010 MP-58 5-PW Irons - (+.5") 2010 MP-T10 Black Satin 52° - 56° - 60° - (+.5") 2009 Black Carbon 2 Putter Winn Grip e6Photos of my bag Golf Galaxy Wisconsin Amateur Tour PlayerGolf...

Note: This thread is 5149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!