IGNORED

How to Preserve Clubs

Note: This thread is 5144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Like I said, if you're wearing clubs out, you have a very nice problem. I doubt whether the average player would wear out a set of irons inside 20 years. if he played twice a week.

With some clubs, you might be right, although 20 years is a bit of stretch. With a forged club like the Mizuno's, once the chrome on the face starts to wear out, it's only a matter of time before the integrity of the grooves is compromised. Playing twice a week, I bet you could play 2-3 years or so without experiencing any significant drop in performance due to worn grooves. Really though, it would depend on how much you practice. Range balls wear down the face a lot faster than playing would.

To the OP though, I definitely wouldn't keep them in the basement. The clubheads aren't likely to rust regardless because they are chromed and likely won't rust if they've never been hit, but the shafts potentially could depending on how long you were going to keep them around. I agree with the rest of the group here, and the grips will probably need to be replaced, I don't know if there's anyway to keep the rubber soft and tacky for a few years. Minor expense though. I personally would put my money towards something else and reevaluate my game when it came time to actually get new irons, only because you seem to be basing the purchase on the premise that they'll be perfect for your game in a couple of years, and the fact of the matter is that they may not be. You may want or need something completely different in a few years. That's just my personal opinion, because knowing myself, if I bought new irons, I'd break them out of the box and start playing them immediately haha. I just wouldn't have the discipline to be able to stick to that gameplan. But if you're getting a great deal on authentic clubs, and you think it's a good idea, then go for it.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

I guess, like others, I don't understand the logic behind this. In 2011 Mizuno will have something that will replace the 58s. Then two years from then, you will be able to find those clubs at a great deal just like you found now. Also, if you are not going to play them now, wait a while, I'll bet you can find a better deal than what you found now. Especially next year when something new is coming out. If you want them, get them and play them now. All you are going to do is lose money well above anything you might be saving now.

Let's say a great deal is $300 (don't know, just throwing out a number). You pack them away for 3-4 years. You have just tied up $300 in assets for something you won't use and will only go down in value as soon as you take possession. That is money that could have helped pay a utility bill or bought groceries or got some regular maintenence on your car. 4 years from now, if you don't like them, or want something different, they will now be 5 years old and you will be lucky to get half of what you paid. You would be better off taking the money you would use and hiding it in the house until you are actually ready to buy something. If you found a great deal now, there will be a great deal when you actually need new clubs. Of course, if money isn't an issue, do what you want.

If I was doing something like this, I would pack them in a box and put them in an indoor closet. If you go to Wal-Mart, Target, Lowes, etc., I think there are some chemicals (similar to the packets of things that come with shoes and some clothes) that you can get to put in the box that will absorb any moisture that might get in the box. Moisture is the biggest enemy but if they are kept indoors you should be fine no matter what you do.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Note: This thread is 5144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!