IGNORED

Are you a Phil Guy or a Tiger Guy?

XBucky
Note: This thread is 6451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Phil Guy or Tiger Guy?

• Phil Guy
    • Tiger Guy

• Administrator
uhhhh...you must be under the age of twenty to post this....1986 Masters.....doooh....

No... Halfway through Nicklaus' career - after winning 8 or 10 or 12 majors - there was an ad saying "do you know who this guy is?"

Tiger is the most recognized athlete in the world. Nicklaus in his prime wasn't even recognized by most Americans. The difference between Tiger's popularity (or at least his recognizability) and Jack's is at least as great as Tiger's lead over Phil in the OWGR (22.23 to 8.92).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iacas...I'm pretty sure that Jim Nantz and anyone that was there will tell you taht the 1986 Masters was like no other major. When Jack first came out on tour in the 60's he was not beloved due to "Arnies Army". By the mid to late 70's Jack was the taking the spotlight like no other. He had transformed his early pudgy young punk image into a charismatic champion. Make no mistake, while Tiger has fully engaged the world golfing stage, Jack was the Tiger of his day. By the time the 1986 Masters came he was a living legend. Wining a major at 46 only imortalized him. I don't know how old you are, but anyone over the age of 40 can tell you that the 1986 Master may never be equaled in terms of sheer drama and jubilation of Jacks victory. I'd rank it #1 in terms of a Major that will never be forgotten.

signed
Old enough to know

As usual Maddriver is talking alot of sense. 86 was the ultimate major. What about Jacks shot into 16. wow. The tenion builds as the bear prepares to hit. the crowd is silent Tom Weiskopf says cmon Jack "Stay down, accelerate through the ball your destiny is right here" Jack stiffs it and the crowd goes wild, the bear winks to his caddy and smiles. IT WAS HUGE i love that tournament and i am only 27, Australian and a big Norman fan (who lost by a shot) i still love that round by Jack.

heh...hell boofy I was only six (cough cough) when the 86 Masters was played. Seriously....no crowd reaction has been equaled to date....ask CBS

...also...no other golf club has been more imortalized than the MacGregor putter that Jack used to win the 86 Masters. MacGregor would probably be out of business now if it hadn't been for that.

iacas...I'm pretty sure that Jim Nantz and anyone that was there will tell you taht the 1986 Masters was like no other major. When Jack first came out on tour in the 60's he was not beloved due to "Arnies Army". By the mid to late 70's Jack was the taking the spotlight like no other. He had transformed his early pudgy young punk image into a charismatic champion. Make no mistake, while Tiger has fully engaged the world golfing stage, Jack was the Tiger of his day. By the time the 1986 Masters came he was a living legend. Wining a major at 46 only imortalized him. I don't know how old you are, but anyone over the age of 40 can tell you that the 1986 Master may never be equaled in terms of sheer drama and jubilation of Jacks victory. I'd rank it #1 in terms of a Major that will never be forgotten.

As usual Maddriver is talking alot of sense. 86 was the ultimate major. What about Jacks shot into 16. wow. The tenion builds as the bear prepares to hit. the crowd is silent Tom Weiskopf says cmon Jack "Stay down, accelerate through the ball your destiny is right here" Jack stiffs it and the crowd goes wild, the bear winks to his caddy and smiles. IT WAS HUGE i love that tournament and i am only 27, Australian and a big Norman fan (who lost by a shot) i still love that round by Jack.

heh...hell boofy I was only six (cough cough) when the 86 Masters was played. Seriously....no crowd reaction has been equaled to date....ask CBS

The thing is, iacas wasn't talking about the 1986 Masters. By then, yes, everyone knew who Jack was because he had 17 majors under his belt, and was well past his prime years of dominating golf. Naturally, everyone was going to root for the Olden Bear to win.

But what iacas is referring to is when Jack was 8-10-12 majors in, and the vast majority of Americans didn't know much about him. Golfers, sure. Sports fans, yes. But otherwise, he was just a really good golfer to most. Lots of people kept calling him Jack Nicholson, I remember. When Jack was in his prime, he was nowhere near the international crossover figure that Tiger Woods is today. Remember, the 1986 Masters was six years removed from Jack's previous major, the 1980 PGA Championship. Everyone had written him off. That's why it was a big deal. He was no longer in his prime. And this is so off-topic it's not even funny.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

ragantona the point goes back to this...

Originally Posted by Jacque Quote: what do you mean it doesn't make sense....jack nicklaus was an amazing golfer but people were not going nuts over him....

...and yes I understand that Jack does not and never did have the cache that Tiger has. However....for two days in April of 1986 he had the worlds attention like no other....period.

What does FIGJAM stand for? Thanks.

**** I'm good, just ask me

In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

• Administrator
ragantona the point goes back to this...

Tiger had tremendously more attention in winning his FIRST major in 1997 than Nicklaus did for his last in '86. Probably tenfold the attention. Part of that is because media changed. Part of that is because Tiger has been in the news since he was three. Part of it was because of his skin color. Did any non-golfer of color care about Nicklaus in '86? No. Did they about Tiger in '97? There's a good chance.

And if you want to talk about TV ratings, it's not even close, by the way. Jack's '86 win pales in comparison to every recent Masters. Even the one won by Mike Weir.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't want to imply that Jack had a higher rating in any tourney.... .my point to Jacque is that Jack had tremendous cache in his day. Again...regardless of TV ratings which Tiger has sent to the moon....Jacks 1986 Masters is what I and I'm sure many that watched it or were there, is the most memorable major ever. Jack, while no Tiger when it comes to modern day TV, was idolized by millions world wide. Golden Bear, Inc. is and was no slouch today and back in the day. Tiger, like everything he has accomplished, just makes everyone and everything that we new about golf obsolete or pale in retrospect. Between them, we are lucky to have wittnessed two of the greatest ever.

...heh...which begs the question...why is Phil even in this discussion? Before Phil even gets into say a "Tom Weiskoph" comparison (Weiskoph being highly regarded as a player that never realy was able to win big or beat Jack and had the personality of a frustrated old man) he needs to win when Tiger is at his best, not when he's on vacation. So are you a Jack or Tiger Guy?

hmmmm, since when did phil turn into jack nicklaus?

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910d3 9.5* Stiff Projext X-7A3 Rescue: Taylor Made Burner TP 20* X-stiff 3 Iron: Titleist AP2 Projext X Rifle Irons: Titleist 710mb NS PRO 105T Stiff Wedges Cleveland CG12 60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.07 Cleveland CG14 52* Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio 2.5 (2008) Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

hmmmm, since when did phil turn into jack nicklaus?

...while being felicitous, that’s kinda my point with regards to Phil…he’s no Jack Nicklaus not even close. So to me it’s a Tiger Guy and someone who merits status with him….i.e Jack Nicklaus

tiger is known for being a tightwod, both him and michael jordan.

I don't know where you get your information, but Jordan was always considered one of the most generous atheletes out there. Even when being comped meals he was known to tip hundreds of dollars.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Make no mistake, while Tiger has fully engaged the world golfing stage, Jack was the Tiger of his day.

Jack may have been the Tiger of his day on the course, but not even close to it off the course. Tiger has trancended sports. He is in a class with Jordan and Ali for popularity. Tiger has made young kids want to play golf. Tiger has brought minorities to the course just to watch him play. Jack could never do that. Granted he was a white man in a white mans sport. Tiger is helping make golf a sport for all races.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

i dnt understand how anyone can defend phil over tiger in any way. mickleso n is a jerk from all acounts.... an he seems so irritatiinlgy fake... i cant stand him.... some ppl hate on tigers temper an stuff... but y ?... like all of u have never cursed an then thrown ur clubs into the lake... hisintensity is one of the best thigns about wacthing him play

Well Tiger did it again.

No I'm not talking about winning. He managed to play another round without being friendly...no human to his playing partner.

I didn't watch every second, but I didn't see them exchange any "pleasantries" through the entire round. Come on, man. You don't have to be a jerk to win. Anyone who has played any golf realizes you are mostly playing the course anyways...so why not be friendly. Why not acknowledge that it us against the golf gods...us against fate. I think it smacks of gamesmanship.

Can you imagine Jack and Arnie, or Jack and Tom Watson acting like he did yesterday. Man, it used to be the best part of their matches to see how they enjoyed each other AND the competition.

They just didn't seem to take it all so seriously.

Sure, Tiger has been more human lately, and his reaction after the Open was pretty special...But...stop taking yourself so damn seriously. People dying is suppose to help you realize this stuff.

Rick
http://www.golf-club-revue.com

"Golf either brings out your ego...or your heart."

who cares if he is anti social on the golf course ? ... and its been pretty well documented that vijay and tiger dont like each other much... so why would they "exchange pleaseantries" the enitr round ? ... would you be talkative to an oppenent you have to spend an entire round with that you dont like? me personally i would just play golf and ignore him ... an you act like vijay couldnt have talked to him if he wanted to ? its not all tigers fault he aint have a lot of convo :S ... what difference does that really make anwyays ?

No I'm not talking about winning. He managed to play another round without being friendly...no human to his playing partner.

And Vijay is one of the most talkative players out there, so I'm sure there was ample opportunity to laugh and chat with a player with the personality of a card-board box.

Come on.
I didn't watch every second, but I didn't see them exchange any "pleasantries" through the entire round. Come on, man.

That explains why you didn't see Tiger laugh and smile on the last hole when chatting with Shawn McHeel's caddie when they were backed up on 18 tee.

You don't have to be a jerk to win.

I've never heard any player call Tiger a jerk. Now you are calling him one? Based on what you see on TV...which is what, 20% (at the most) of the time he is on the course? You don't see any of his walking between shots or standing on the tee...but you know he's a jerk, huh? Is that you Phil?

Anyone who has played any golf realizes you are mostly playing the course anyways...so why not be friendly. Why not acknowledge that it us against the golf gods...us against fate. I think it smacks of gamesmanship.

This is the first time I agree with ou. He's playing against the course...not against Vijay. He's concentrating on the shot ahead of him and the time you see him on TV, guess what, he's preparing for or taking that shot. I don't know about you, but I would expect a person that's job it is to play golf to make sure they are doing everything in their power to concentrate on the shot in front of them.

I don't think Tiger needs to do any form of gamesmanship...it isn't match play. He's just playing the course.
Can you imagine Jack and Arnie, or Jack and Tom Watson acting like he did yesterday. Man, it used to be the best part of their matches to see how they enjoyed each other

Uh, hello? Jack was known as a gruff, lumpy golfer that took golf very seriously. People didn't like him initailly because he wasn't that cordial. And as for gamesmanship (as you brought it up) he even stalled at the turn at the '74 PGA to make Trevino wait to tee off. If there was ever the equal of Tiger's competitive spirit in golf, it was Nicklaus.

Sure, Tiger has been more human lately, and his reaction after the Open was pretty special...But...stop taking yourself so damn seriously. People dying is suppose to help you realize this stuff.

I'll say it again. It is his

job . He is out there to win championships and tournaments, not please the masses. I have more respect for his ability to block out the crowds and concentrate like he does. There is no other golfer that can focus as well as Tiger. At the Open he even acknowledged afterwards to the crowd the fact that so many people were urging him on and that he doesn't respond to them...but that it means a lot to him. But you probably didn't see that either.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Note: This thread is 6451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!