IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

Left side bend a little more on the backswing, right side bend on the downswing. In the middle, the "umbrella and done" feeling.

Not getting this really. Left shoulder down towards the ball more? The hips are on a pretty good incline right? Shoulders look flat in the image you attached. 

On the last slow motion swing, 

A1.PNG.5d333f8c611d36fdfe9eb4bc3cb22ea9.

This one looks better? 

A4.PNG.fb332d1c88773119e7394ca51f820554.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Yes, the shoulders are too flat (you're probably bent over a bit too much, too). Left shoulder down more, yes.

Even in your image you didn't really draw it across the shoulders, and it's still not 90°.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My only concern with the more shoulder down, as I was doing some mirror work just now. My head has a tendency to tilt towards the target. Like this older image last June/July. It's like I want to watch the ball with my left eye and not my right eye. 

A4.PNG.0c524aa724795edb83647412bfaeff04.

I guess the better question to be would be, what would be the best way to get more tilt. My  right leg straightens and my left knee flexes so the hips turn on an incline. What is causes me to turn my shoulders flat? 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator
9 hours ago, saevel25 said:

My only concern with the more shoulder down, as I was doing some mirror work just now. My head has a tendency to tilt towards the target. Like this older image last June/July. It's like I want to watch the ball with my left eye and not my right eye. 

A4.PNG.0c524aa724795edb83647412bfaeff04.

I guess the better question to be would be, what would be the best way to get more tilt. My  right leg straightens and my left knee flexes so the hips turn on an incline. What is causes me to turn my shoulders flat? 

Matt I wonder if you're not overthinking this. I believe it's just recently that you're turning your shoulders flat which leads to the "Count Chocula" look at A4 with your left shoulder and arm covering your face.

Try not to let your head tilt that way, but if it does, it's a minor thing you shouldn't worry about much. Your spine needs to bend 10° or so to the left (toward the ball at A4) during the backswing. Currently your hips are providing ALL of the inclination when they should provide, say, 65% of it.

Rough averages (so you don't have to conform to them, but you should be around them) are 35° torso bend forward at setup, which means hips turn 20-25° or so, spine another 10-15°, for a matching shoulder tilt of 35° at A4.

Stand a bit taller at address too. You're around 45° currently.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A4-pr.JPG.c65fc11b0caceef2de875fb5b804f5A4-lesson.JPG.4413193b828e3592f57da9c843

My practice versus the Lesson. I can see it better here. I am not sure why I did that in practice. 

Even in Erie, I was leaning over the ball a lot (nearer to 45 degrees). 

I'll keep an eye on it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

A4-pr.JPG.c65fc11b0caceef2de875fb5b804f5A4-lesson.JPG.4413193b828e3592f57da9c843

My practice versus the Lesson. I can see it better here. I am not sure why I did that in practice. 

Even in Erie, I was leaning over the ball a lot (nearer to 45 degrees). 

I'll keep an eye on it.

Yeah, there you go.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah, there you go.

If I am not leaning over as much at address then it's less likely to have that discrepancy with my shoulders to spine angle? I suspect there is a certain amount in which a golfer can lean over before it becomes a detriment to the golf swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

If I am not leaning over as much at address then it's less likely to have that discrepancy with my shoulders to spine angle? I suspect there is a certain amount in which a golfer can lean over before it becomes a detriment to the golf swing. 

Probably. I think if you bend over at 45° that would feel like too much shoulder tilt, so you don't do it. I think that if you bend over around 35°, it'll feel more normal to let the shoulders be on that angle.

35° shoulder tilt with a 45° setup will look (and be, somewhat) "wrong" but the same 35° at the top is "right" if you set up at 35°.

To be clear I'm not saying to make them "right" just because they match, but because when they don't match it causes some little issues.

And yeah, you were much better when you were here, which is why I pointed it out. Even if you can get to 40/40, cool.

16 hours ago, iacas said:

To be clear I'm not saying to make them "right" just because they match, but because when they don't match it causes some little issues.

And yeah, you were much better when you were here, which is why I pointed it out. Even if you can get to 40/40, cool.

That makes sense. 

I consolidated my backswing feels that have popped up during lessons and practice. 

1. Drag/Carry the hands inward with turn only to about A1.5
2. Hinge earlier in backswing, produces a softer right arm. Maybe right arm more feeling over left arm feeling. Hinge and lift right arm from A2 to umbrella position at A3-A3.5 
3. 2/3 - 3/4 swing length feel, stop at A3, holding club like umbrella feel
4. Stay in 10 degree axis tilt, turn around spine. Chest feels like it's facing away from the target, feeling like it moves up and around spine. 

Downswing Feels or thoughts, 
1. Drive right side through impact. 
2. Feel like the right hip gains flex, scrunched right side
3. Left hip feels like it goes around and behind more. 
4. Maintain tush line against wall

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

DTL - Swing at start

DTL - Practice
Working on same stuff 

DTL - Practice
Working on the same stuff. This is more turn to A1.5, not really focusing on my hands much, as my primary feel to start the backswing. 

DTL - Last Swing
This swing was making a slower 2/3 rd feeling backswing with a slight focus on turning to A1.5. Then drive right side through on the downswing. 

A tad shallow to steep from backswing to downswing. Still much better than it has been. Keeping the swing shorter lets me time up my downswing move better. This swing felt very compact and powerful. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Better. Keep the umbrella shortness on the full swings. Overdo it. This is something you know you will always struggle to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I played 12 holes today. I shot 6 over, but only 2 over on the harder front nine. 

My irons were solid. I was stripping shots and the contact felt great. The driver was serviceable for the most part. Set up felt a bit off from time to time, I wasn't comfortable over the ball. Some drives were very good, some were not so good.

I got to watch out for if I put my ball forward in my stance that I don't over do the right side through to the point I shift way forward. I hit a big pull draw OB on hole #12. 

I need to trust more in setting the club in an umbrella position at A3 and that I won't cut it off the planet. 

66% GIR is pretty solid for me on the front nine with no warm up and I haven't hit a ball in a week due to the cold weather and my cold two weekends ago. 

I'm really happy with how well I struck my irons. Nice positive going into the start of the year. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the range today and I forgot that my camera was in my golf backpack which I put in my apartment before heading to the range. :doh:

I think I am getting the backswing better in the more umbrella position. It just seems much easier to do in the drill. I was hitting some straight cuts. 

I also worked on my pitching. I hit some weird soft shanks. The ball would just float 45 degrees right. I think I was hitting some of the clubface as well as the hosel. It just didn't feel harsh like a shank. Then I would hit some good shots. A real area of emphasis for me this year. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Starter Swing
Rolls the club inside at A2
Overswings at A4, club across the line :cry:

DTL Practice
Trying to feel more turn to A2 with out the club doing much
Trying to feel more umbrella feel at A3

DTL Practice
Working on more hinge to set the club more vertical at A3
Had to make sure to turn while doing this. I get caught sometimes just lifting the arms. 

DTL - Shorter Backswing Practice
If I take a normal speed backswing the feel for this is about 1/2 to 2/3rd swing gets me to this position, about A3.5
If I take a slower backswing it feels more 2/3rd to 3/4th feel. 

DTL - Right Hip Through
Not a bad length backswing if I had the club laid off a bit more. Laying off the club for me is tough at A3.5-A4
I got to get the head from dropping down at A7-A7.5, Meh 
This was drive the right hip down towards the ball. Get that squish feel of the right hip as it gains flex from losing it during the backswing. 

If I had to grade everything on this swing
Backwing: B, Could have been B+ if it was a tad shorter
Downswing: B-

Good news, a B to B- hits a pretty good ball ;) 

Summary Notes
Same thing on the backswing. Carry the club more with the turn from A1 to A1.5-A2. Set the club going more vertical with wrist hinge and a softer right arm. Good backswing feel is start the swing with body turn and go to 2/3rd backswing feel. Keep the backswing less quick, more deliberate to feel that backswing length better. 

Downswing, drive that right hip down and through the ball. Don't worry about the hands or arms. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the range again today, 

DTL
At least the downswing turn rates are better, but I got to keep them turning. 

DTL - Practice
A little more steeper on the shoulder turn. Trying to hinge more in the backswing to set the club more vertical. 

DTL Later
I am just struggling to not allow that club to fall across the line. 
I need to turn my right hip down towards the ball more. My hips look too level at A7

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went up for a lesson in Erie this previous weekend. 

A few notes from there. 

A3 - Keep after the umbrella feel and keeping the swing shorter. 

A4-A7 - Drive the right side forward, scrunch that right hip, left side extends, stay leaned over the ball more, left butt cheek makes contact with the wall. 

A7-Finish - Don't let the hands be dragged inward. They should feel like they are going away from the body, and the handle raises up more towards the finish. Club should exit more around the left shoulder not the left bicep in the DTL view .

Putting - Bent over a tad more, lower the hands a tad, feel the putter going out more instead of inward on the backswing. Will probably look like I am pulling putts more since I was pushing them with an extreme outward path before. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

DTL

DTL - Downswing Drill

DTL Towards the end

Its really tough trying to get that right side through. I just want to keep coming off that wall around A5.5-A6:~( I think that aspect of this piece is probably the linchpin that would allow me to really drive my right side more forward. 

A4.JPG.2162ebec0557285f57204a29263bb69c.

A6.5.JPG.6aefb89243e456528d042b8b6bc4509

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I guess I wanted to add on to this. In a lot of instances when I took the club up to the top. It felt like there was no way I could do anything but do what I did in the videos. Meaning, even if I felt like I was going more forward it was like my body didn't want to with how I felt at A4

A lot of those swings were, get to A4. There was just no feeling like I could do what I wanted. 

I'm not sure if that was with the club being across the line, and not as stood upright? Would that position make it hard to feel like you want to drive forward because the CG of the club isn't in a good spot. If the CG was more in a laid off position would that make it feel like I can turn it around my body more?

The way I am thinking it as. If the club goes across like that. It has to reroute and go steep. If it goes steep you really can't get forward or you would just be so far leftward with the path. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag