IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Just wanted to add a note for a feel that I think might help the loading into the right side. I think feeling a bit more separation in the thighs when I make by backswing. Not letting the left knee kick in as much. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played 9 holes today. For the most part it went ok.

I like the left leg feel for the backswing, with conjunction loading into the right side. It helps me feel like I can turn through better. 

I need to work on my right side though. I struggled for too many holes hitting snap hooks off the tee because I didn’t turn well enough. 

What also helped was setting up with lower hands. Just something Erik mentioned to me once at Whispering Woods. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Worked on the swing after playing 18 today

Trying to stop the clubhead from turning in by being more turn focus early in the backswing
Trying to not let my left knee kick in to allow me to pivot forward better

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some notes while working on my pieces this evening. 

A1-A2: primarily just a left shoulder down feel. Feel loading into the right side, while not letting the left knee kick in. Feels a stretch in my right side. 
A2-A4: Feel the right elbow bend to gain height with the swing. Not really feeling raising the hands up. Make sure the right elbow stays more vertical. Don't want a chicken wing that causes the club to go across the line. 
A4: Maybe a bit of a holding a platter feel here to flatten the club a bit, or just some more hinge in the right wrist

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the range today. 

Worked on my downswing stuff. Struggled with controlling my low point. Just couldn’t get my turn rates up enough not to dip back and flip a bit. 

Something that seemed to help was being a bit more softer in my arms. Less firm left arm and wrist. I’ll have to video tape it next time to see what it’s doing. It felt like it helped the backswing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played in a scramble 

Driver - over draws and block cuts

Irons - slight pushes 

pitching - really good

putting - technique was good, distance control was off. 

I’m struggling with and out of control downswing. The head feels like it’s moving a ton in the downswing. I don’t feel like I’m turning well. 

The softer arms at set up feels way more relaxed for me. I feel less constricted. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the range after the scramble today. Here are some videos. 

6 Iron DTL

6 Iron FO 

Driver DTL 
The over-swing may be the reason for my issues. Didn't know it got that bad. Maybe I should do a monthly video of my driver swing from now on. 

DTL - Driver with a backswing that felt like I was moving at 10% my normal backswing speed. This helped tremendously to shorten the swing. It seemed to help sync up my downswing a lot. I felt like I could turn much more easily. 

Also, for some strange reason, I grip the club way better when I have the medical tape on my middle finger. Pulling a Tiger Wood's thing here. I felt like the club just fit in my hand better, and I was gripping the club more consistently 

Going Forward

1. Slow backswings for everything. At least 10% for driver and woods, and probably 30-50% for irons. 
2. Keep working on flattening the backswing from A3 to A4
3. Keep working on turning through better. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 8:35 PM, saevel25 said:

Going Forward

1. Slow backswings for everything. At least 10% for driver and woods, and probably 30-50% for irons. 
2. Keep working on flattening the backswing from A3 to A4
3. Keep working on turning through better. 

Played 18 today. Shot a +4. My goal today was to do #1 as good as possible. I did that for the most part. I struggled on the back nine (my first nine) with the driver. I did the slow backswing well, but struggled with my  downswing. I was tipping back and hitting toe push hooks. Then I finally figured out the timing and started hitting very neutral ball flights. 

The backswing is, slow as possible, and feel the swing stopping when the club reaches shoulder height. I didn’t really try any flattening feels. I tried to feel the right arm more in front of the body. Then turn the right side through.  

I think this is the path I need to continue to do going forward. Maddening slow shorter backswing and get a good turn on the downswing. 

Some things I did notice though, my irons launch lower. 

I will need a pitching lesson again. I lost a bit on what I need to do. I was hitting these shanking looking shots, but I wasn’t hitting the hosel. It’s not good when the ball starts 30 degrees right. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I will need a pitching lesson again. I lost a bit on what I need to do. I was hitting these shanking looking shots, but I wasn’t hitting the hosel. It’s not good when the ball starts 30 degrees right. 

George is due to come up here soon… Let's talk. We'll do something outside.

Soon, before it's totally crappy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

George is due to come up here soon… Let's talk. We'll do something outside.

Soon, before it's totally crappy.

Agreed. 👍

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

On 4/12/2010 at 2:00 PM, saevel25 said:

well, i did a bit of research taking some still images frmo the video.

one majore flaw i have and i think it kills me, is my weight is on the heels at address.. my hips are over my heels, not the balls of my feet. I always try to get my weight over the middle of my feet, but when i do that and swing i feel like i am going to fall over forward.

Your weight should be centered over your ankles and be neutral.  If you post up with your weight on your toes you will be tear your knee apart at some point. You should not rotate using your left knee to support all that weight. Keep it back a little bit but not so far into the heels that your toes are coming off the ground.

4 minutes ago, RST Rebuild said:

Your weight should be centered over your ankles and be neutral.  If you post up with your weight on your toes you will be tear your knee apart at some point. You should not rotate using your left knee to support all that weight. Keep it back a little bit but not so far into the heels that your toes are coming off the ground.

Umm... you quoted a post of mind from 2010. Not really concerned with what I posted for that one. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Just now, RST Rebuild said:

Sorry mate.  It showed up under new content and still figuring out the site.  I wouldn't care either.  Cheers.

No problem :beer:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 1 month later...

Been doing some slow backswing indoor since winter has arrived. 

Focusing on,

1. keeping the left hip stable from A1-A4, not moving forward. 
2. keeping the clubhaed from going inside in the backswing. 
3. Working to find a good flattening feel at the top of the swing. Messing around with elbow and wrist positions. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 3 weeks later...

Been doing some indoor practice. 

Currently a good feel is where my elbow position is at A4. I am working on setting club head more upward by introducing more flex in my right elbow, from A2 to A3. The slow backswing helps keep the club from getting out of control at the top. The backswing feels really compact right now.

Looking at my patio window shows the club in a good position at A3-A4. The right elbow isn't sinking behind me. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 months later...

I’ve been picking up the practice since I think spring might show up sometime. 

For me I feel the backswing sets up my downswing turn. 

I like the feeling of having my left hip not shifting much and turning my upper body into my right side. 

As for the club, I like feeling a bit of lift and hinge from A2 to A3. By hinge it’s more of a softening and bending of the right elbow and wrist. It feels like my right elbow is in front of my chest more at A3-A4. The swing feels really short compared to my old swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Went up to Erie today for the beginning of the year check on the swing. 

Backswing looked the best it had to start a season. So, good progress there. 

What I am working on now is the pitch of my shoulders at address. Basically this helps with me not rollover my forearms so soon in the swing. It also helps send the club out to the ball at impact. 

The feel that worked well is getting my left shoulder to go back and round me faster instead of having it pitch up and back. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 4.42.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 4.42.22 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag