IGNORED

Driving Distance

jmr
Note: This thread is 3146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can't call the guy since I'm in ireland (not wasting my money)

theres an easier way to solve this. vance, what was your ball speed and launch angle. forget ss for a minute

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

I'm a newbie, I don't know shit, I don't have a handicap, I play 9 holes at double par. However, I know enough to side with Shanks A Million here concerning smash factor. I'm not going to come out and call you a liar when maybe someone could be lying to you with these numbers. However, something is wrong somewhere based on your reported smash numbers. It is my understanding that, to achieve a 1.50 smash factor, it means you are 100% efficient and that your driver is hot enough to achieve it. I'm not attacking you here, I just find it really hard to believe. However, I am sure you will just attack me as you are attacking others and put the infamous internet "fail" tag on me as well.

Does your college class teach you to blatantly disregard evidence, even if it's presented right in front of you? Some college.

what evidence? Here is your evidence. You have somehow reached the "theoretical" smash factor of 1.50 (highest recorded on pga tour was 1.49) You have a SS of 100 (pro's have a SS of over 115) You hit the ball 285 on average (longer than the pro's) And you believe it because the skewed launch monitor at your local shop says it. Your better than the pro's according to that launch monitor, do you think your better than a pro?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Does your college class teach you to blatantly disregard evidence, even if it's presented right in front of you? Some college.

theres an easy way to solve this. what is your ball speed and launch angle (not your driver angle but your actual launch angle.

shanks you cant blame a machine for this, vance is only passing on information given to him. your accusing the machine of jacking up his YARDAGE numbers. if you neglect air resistance we can get a very good idea of how far the ball with the measured launch angle and ball speed. if the numbers given dont add up to the 280 yards we can assume vance was given bad information but i'm guessing that vance isn't lying he was probably told 280. shanks: some people dont have a video camera, like me. i want to post a swing video as well but i cant cuz i dont have a camera to use. its not that easy

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

shanks you cant blame a machine for this, vance is only passing on information given to him. your accusing the machine of jacking up his YARDAGE numbers. if you neglect air resistance we can get a very good idea of how far the ball with the measured launch angle and ball speed. if the numbers given dont add up to the 280 yards we can assume vance was given bad information but i'm guessing that vance isn't lying he was probably told 280.

I'm not doubting it's what he was told, but I've given him information to prove it's not true. I'm not saying he's lying to us, but to himself. Hey, I did it too. I used to think I hit it 300 when I could barely hit a wedge. I was an idiot too.

what evidence?

Actually, the highest accurately recorded smash factor on tour this year was 1.491, and only one player acheived it, Kevin Sutherland. Daniel Chopra and James Nitties both recorded 4.90s.

Here's the swings of these hackers:

First of all, I was the one who was attacked. Go back and read the posts.

Second, I never said the machine told me 280. The most I got in total yardage I BELIEVE was 274, or something like that. It was always between 269 and 274. I took about 6 swings. Like I said the NM air makes the ball go 5-8 yards farther on a drive, which is why I said the 280 number. That and (ACCORDING TO YARDAGE MARKERS) I have hit a 280 yard drive before. I severely doubt that the yardage makers are more than 10 yards off, which at the least would still give me 270, which you are still saying is impossible.

I don't remember my ballspeed but he told me over the phone that it was just under the "optimum", which is a line right below yours that compares your stats to what I guess it should be, I'm not sure how that figure out the optimum stats though. Maybe SS?

My launch angle was a tad higher than "optimum", and my carry and total yardages were both above optimum. He said the practice balls I was using could cause my ballspeed to be a bit lower, which is why it was under "optimum", but my carry and total were above.

JB, please stop with the childish recants, obviously I don't think I'm better than a friggin' pro. Hell, Shanksy would probably beat me one on one, given his handicap, if it's accurate.

Bottom line is, I have no reason to lie, who am I trying to impress? I'm not some 13 year old and I haven't been for almost 10 years. I have given you numbers and all you can do is call me a liar. I held up to my part of the deal. And Shanks hasn't and probably won't call that place, because he's afraid.

What more can I do, honestly.

In My Bag:

Driver: HiBore XLS 10.5º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
3-Wood: HiBore XLS 15º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
5-Wood: S2 Straightneck 19º (Fujikara Fit-On Max 65 FW Stiff)Irons: HiBore XLi 3-PW (Fujikara Fit-on M Red S Flex)Wedges: CG14 Chrome 56º SW/60º LWPutter: ...

I'm not doubting it's what he was told, but I've given him information to prove it's not true. I'm not saying he's lying to us, but to himself. Hey, I did it too. I used to think I hit it 300 when I could barely hit a wedge. I was an idiot too.

im jsut saying have him give you the numbers and convert the speed to m/s and the launch angle. put them into the the max height equation to figure out the total time then figure out how far a ball going however many meters it will travel in the time it is in the air then convert it back to yards and if your right the number will be around like 235 or whatever you said. if your wrong it will be 280ish

Also. The way that launch monitor calculated the smash factor, it was not in decimal. It was in percentage. I don't know what the difference is, if there's one.

In My Bag:

5-Wood: S2 Straightneck 19º (Fujikara Fit-On Max 65 FW Stiff)Irons: HiBore XLi 3-PW (Fujikara Fit-on M Red S Flex)Wedges: CG14 Chrome 56º SW/60º LWPutter: ...

What more can I do, honestly.

post a swing video......

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

buy me a camera......

In My Bag:

Also. The way that launch monitor calculated the smash factor, it was not in decimal. It was in percentage. I don't know what the difference is, if there's one.

its the difference between the ball speed and the club speed divided by club speed. that would give you the % then you add 1.0 for the smash factor

its the difference between the ball speed and the club speed divided by club speed. that would give you the % then you add 1.0 for the smash factor

Wouldn't that just be "ball speed" divided by "clubhead speed"?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

First of all, I was the one who was attacked. Go back and read the posts.

So what you are saying is that you've never actually measured a drive????? If you are using the course yardage markers to figure your driving average then your numbers probably aren't even close to accurate. You simply can't do it that way... the math never matches the actual measurements.

My longest measured drive last year was 321 yards, downwind in a gale on a very firm end of summer fairway. My average drive was 230-240. I've gained about 15 yards with my new Callaway Diablo Edge. Longest drive measured with it so far in just 2 rounds is 265. I haven't even tried to figure an average yet (or even measured but a couple of drives) because I haven't yet played it when the wind wasn't howling. I'll check a few drives today and get back to you.... it's supposed to be pretty nice this afternoon.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wouldn't that just be "ball speed" divided by "clubhead speed"?

ya kinda because if you just do that you get a number less than one. which gives you a percentage like vance was saying but you have to add the 1.0 to the % that you calculated to give you the smash factor

edit: i was jsut trying to tel vance that its basically the same as the % or what you said

I haven't even tried to figure an average yet (or even measured but a couple of drives) because I haven't yet played it when the wind wasn't howling.

So what if the wind is howling? Those count too - I never exclude any drives, although some I sure want to!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

no because if you just do that you get a number less than one. which gives you a percentage like vance was saying but you have to add the 1.0 to the % that you calculated to give you the smash factor

Really? Ball speed divided by clubhead speed is less than 1?

So let me guess Shanks, all of the launch monitor's stats were fine EXCEPT for smash factor. Because smash factor makes or breaks a club sale, right? That must have been the one they skewed on me. Damn them!

The problem I have with these little theories is that they can't be proven wrong. They'll just be refuted with a new twist to make their argument fit. It's like watching a Michael Moore movie.

In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 3146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!