IGNORED

My Swing (dhanson)

dhanson
Note: This thread is 4667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by THR3E

Then please enlighten me on what it is he is doing at the top of his backswing when his upper body shifts to the target...

Uh, not a reverse pivot.

A reverse pivot is "weight forward on the backswing, weight back on the downswing." It's pointless to spend more time talking about something he doesn't do.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i noticed something weird does happen at the top of the backswing right as i start my downswing. shoulders turn almost like i am about to throw the club or something.

i don't think it's a reverse pivot. that's something that seems to happen if i get really quick and the weight transfer can't catch up with my arms.

working on getting my hands forward and not seeing much of a difference. can someone tell me if i'm doing the flying wedge drill correctly? i know my hands are far enough forward here, and i'm trying to correct that. ball striking was bad today (which is why i included so many swings). a mix of fat/thin and towards the toe a bit. just tried to work on keeping my hands in front of the ball, though. nothing else.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by dhanson

working on getting my hands forward and not seeing much of a difference. can someone tell me if i'm doing the flying wedge drill correctly? i know my hands are far enough forward here, and i'm trying to correct that. ball striking was bad today (which is why i included so many swings). a mix of fat/thin and towards the toe a bit. just tried to work on keeping my hands in front of the ball, though. nothing else.

You need to do it better. You still flipped and you swung well past the point where you can check. It'd be rare if you could feel "keeping your hands in front of the ball" - the point is you do the drill and come up with your own feelings.

_1.jpg _2.jpg

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

You need to do it better. You still flipped and you swung well past the point where you can check. It'd be rare if you could feel "keeping your hands in front of the ball" - the point is you do the drill and come up with your own feelings.

does this mean that i should shorten my backswing for this drill or something else?

Originally Posted by iacas

Uh, not a reverse pivot.

A reverse pivot is "weight forward on the backswing, weight back on the downswing." It's pointless to spend more time talking about something he doesn't do.

Calm down bro i just wanted a better word to describe his move at the top, but its obvious you dont know....

In the bag....

Driver-Titleist 910D2 8.5 diamana ahina Xstiff/ 3wood- Taylormade r9 tp 15degree motore f1 stiff/ 5wood- Titleist 910F 19degree diamana stiff/ 3i-pw- Nike forged pro combos DG x100s/ sw- 54degree titleist spin milled 2011 vokey cc/ lob- 60degree Ping tour S/ Putter- Odessey white hot tour #9.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by THR3E

Calm down bro i just wanted a better word to describe his move at the top, but its obvious you dont know....

Why give a name to something that doesn't matter? You called it a "reverse pivot" when if anything it's basically the exact opposite. His head translates backwards on the backswing and he re-centers it in transition to get it back to its starting position. It's not a big deal... but nice try.

Originally Posted by dhanson

does this mean that i should shorten my backswing for this drill or something else?

The drill is intended to allow you to CHECK the position you're in when your arms are roughly horizontal, as I do in my video. If you blow right past there you can't check anything. This isn't something you're likely to "get" in a single practice session. I'll still hit balls doing this. Just today I hit about 30 punch type shots with a TourStriker pro model to continue to work on this feeling.

Just swing back to about 9 o'clock, then through until your arms are roughly horizontal. The club shaft should still be down, you should still have "flying wedge" in the right forearm/wrist, and if you don't immediately correct yourself and put yourself into the position I've illustrated in the green shirt.

Note: This thread is 4667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!