IGNORED

Moving onto Blades

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I made a very long winded rant on blades almost a year ago. I just can't seem to find it.

Edit: Here is is: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...ht=blades+jamo

Let me say that I think a lot of people misread what I was saying, or meant to say. Low handicappers hit blades, and can possibly benefit from them. High handicappers, not so much. My MP 57's have all of the feel of a blade, yet offer a little bit of forgiveness when I need it. And they have minimal offset. And if it makes anyone feel better, you can replace the word high handicapper with poorer ballstriker, that's not really my point. I said anyone can hit a blade at their local Golfsmith because when you are hitting into a net 5 feet away, off a forgiving mat, who knows how well you actually hit it. Don't get me wrong, I love blades, they are shiny and maybe I will play them someday, but it seems like every time someone is looking to have their needs for blades affirmed, they are playing off a 24 handicap.

And I still don't buy the argument that blades make you a better ballstriker through practice.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a very long winded rant on blades almost a year ago. I just can't seem to find it.

Is this it:

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...ghlight=BLADES
Blades... no not for me! My question to fellow TST members, Why are all of people that want blades on this site mid-high handicappers? Let me explain myself, everytime on this site when i see a new thread entitled "blades" or "looking for new irons, want some blade" (made up names) the poster is a mid handicapper. Most of the low handicappers have clubs like AP 2s or MP 57s, or at least suggest them to others. There are many a thread when the person wants to be backed up on their purchase or blades, and people do back them up, but it seems to me that they just do that to build confidence. Let me say, a better golfer blades do not make. They have a very small sweet spot, and lack the forgiveness that most golfers need. Anyone can hit blades off the turf at their local Golfsmith, but they are much harder to hit during a real round. The general response the buyer gives is "well, i want to train myself to be a better player, to be able to hit the sweet spot." And to that my response is, MP57s (I exclude AP2s hear because they are a little different) will do that to. They tell you when you hit the ball wrong, but they do not penalize mis-hits as much as a blade would. Another point, blades do not offer better feel that "slight" cavity back. In fact, the average golfer will never notice any enhanced feel, because the sweet spot will not be hit as much. Let me add, i dont think even the highest handicappers should be subjected to clubs like the Nike Slingshots and the TM CGB max. The soles are WAY to big, and they dont prevent chunking the ball, they just make hitting the ball awkward. I think high handicappers should pick a club they can grow into, not a club they can show off with when they get on tour. I dont think anyone really needs any more game improvement than a Mizuno MX 200, a forged club that offers a lot of feel and forgiveness. As they get better, they can advance towards the MP, and then they can get blades. Now, im not here to say no one should play blades, plenty of people do just fine with them, but they are mostly accomplished players who make solid contact. So I ask you why do so many high handicappers long for blades, while plenty of low handicappers (me included) seem content with their slight cavity backs?

Very well said.

But I digress. At the end of the day, its their money and their clubs. I have a friend who is the same way. He's 20+ h'cap but he bought Nike VR blades, Nike VR driver, Nike bag, Nike shoes, Nike Nike Nike Nike Nike Nike...and he claims that his game has improved. In my opinion his swing sucks and is a terrible ball striker. But he claims they allow him to "shape his shots" and "improves workability." Not to mention, I look at his club face on his irons to see where his balls are hitting and its an absolute mess. Complete inconsistency. But he sure does look cool carrying all that Nike gear, wearing his Nike shirt, Nike shoes, Nike hat and expensive Oakley shades. And a few days ago, he demoed a set of Mizuno blades...and guess what? He emails me asking which Mizuno bag he should get if gets the irons and if I have any advice on which Mizuno driver he should check out, because he now truly believes that Mizuno makes the best products that will improve his game. I just shake my head and smile. I'm not sugesting that that is why people buy blades...but I can't help but assume that is partly why. Its an ego thing and cool factor thing.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I'm not sugesting that that is why people buy blades...but I can't help but assume that is partly why. Its an ego thing and cool factor thing.

That is exactly why people buy blades. Especially high hcers who think they are good ball strikers, but only hit 2 out of 9 greens.

But I digress. At the end of the day, its their money and their clubs . . . Its an ego thing and cool factor thing.

I can't say ego doesn't play a role for some people. Your friend may or may not have an ego problem. He might be simply misguided or he may truly be the poser douchebag you've portrayed.

It's the same reason people play TM Pentas and Pro V1s. For every player who really benefits from those balls, there are a hundred people who are wasting their money. I had an epiphany reading your post. I actually do have a friend who plays irons above his head. He struggles with every iron in the bag, but not as much as he struggles with his hybrids and his woods. He has alignment and swingpath issues - his contact is not too bad. He needs lessons more than new irons. At the end of the day, I think I can paraphrase what the blades naysayers are trying to say (if this is the general sentiment, I concur): "If you have to ask on an internet forum whether or not you should be playing blades, then you probably should not be playing blades".

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

That is exactly why people buy blades. Especially high hcers who think they are good ball strikers, but only hit 2 out of 9 greens.

Also to mention - theres a big difference between being a good ball strikers and someone who can shape shots.

The ability to shape shots and having workability gets thrown around on this forum a lot but I just find it hard to believe that a high h'capper can intentionally pull off a nice push draw, fade, etc. I understand you want to improve your game by getting clubs that are not as forgiving, but lets not claim that a set of blades will get your ball closer to the pin and will enable you to shape your shots better.

I can't say ego doesn't play a role for some people. Your friend may or may not have an ego problem. He might be simply misguided or he may truly be the poser douchebag you've portrayed.

Well said. I really can't say his intentions are as I made it sound to be. Maybe he truly is misguides or maybe he is a douche bag. He's a nice guy though and he loves the game but part of me feels he loves looking the part more than actually playing the game. None the less, he's a fun guy to be around.

It's a similar concept to some threads I've read on here about getting fitted for irons or getting lessons. Truth be told, a set of fitted clubs may be beneficial but your swing is whats going to dictate 99.9% of your shots. Lessons come first. You're not best utilizing the fitted clubs if your swing is off because its an issue of inconsistency.

How many greens do you hit per round with the G5's? How many would you hit if you moved to the Rapture V2's? I'm still scratching my head and trying to figure out why you and others care so much? Last I checked this (USA) is a free country and if some hack wants to beat it around the course with the newest blade dressed to the nines in the latest golf wear I couldn't care less. If they can't shoot under 100 for nine holes then so be it? Let 'em stoke their ego. Why does what everyone else care what others are playing? I can count on one hand the number of times I even looked in someone's bag and tried to figure out what iron they were hitting. I couldn't even tell you what kind of bag someone had, let alone care so much as to try to figure out why someone was playing a certain type of iron??

For the record I hit 3 out of 9 greens.

How many greens do you hit per round with the G5's? How many would you hit if you moved to the Rapture V2's? I'm still scratching my head and trying to figure out why you and others care so much? Last I checked this (USA) is a free country and if some hack wants to beat it around the course with the newest blade dressed to the nines in the latest golf wear I couldn't care less. If they can't shoot under 100 for nine holes then so be it? Let 'em stoke their ego. Why does what everyone else care what others are playing? I can count on one hand the number of times I even looked in someone's bag and tried to figure out what iron they were hitting. I couldn't even tell you what kind of bag someone had, let alone care so much as to try to figure out why someone was playing a certain type of iron??

I don't understand why people are so negative about a "high handicapper" getting blades. It's like people who play blades want to be in their own exclusive club.

G10 9.0* fujikura stiff
Speedline 3 wood 13*
A4 OS 19* hybrid
S2 with Project X 5.5 steel shafts
CG 10 54* Studio Style 1.5

I don't understand why people are so negative about a "high handicapper" getting blades. It's like people who play blades want to be in their own exclusive club.

Can't figure it out myself. I have enough trouble with my own game, so I can't see myself worrying, let alone caring what iron joe blow is playing.

you're both taking it the wrong way...we're not attacking you for playing blades...we're on a forum having a discussion for the sake of having a discussion on why blades are not best suited for high h'cappers. Hell, blades aren't best suited for even many low h'cappers because semi cavity back irons and various muscle back irons provide everything a blade can but is much mroe forgiving.

and i'm not losing any sleep over this discussion, I'm just bored at work :)

I don't care what you play (and come on, the free country excuse, seriously?) but it's the people that post on the forum who wrongly think they are doing their game a service by playing blades.

There is no club, I don't even play blades.

"If you have to ask on an internet forum whether or not you should be playing blades, then you probably should not be playing blades".

Well put.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

you're both taking it the wrong way...we're not attacking you for playing blades...we're on a forum having a discussion for the sake of having a discussion on why blades are not best suited for high h'cappers.

I don't play blades so I know you're not attacking me. As for the discussion it was originally asking if there was a forgiving blade. I would direct you back to the original post in this thread.

I don't care what you play (and come on, the free country excuse, seriously?) but it's the people that post on the forum who wrongly think they are doing their game a service by playing blades.

I haven't seen a post in this thread where anyone said they were benefitting from blades. As for the free country excuse, uhhhh yeah it really is a free country and people can decide on their own what food to eat, what car to drive, who they will marry and by golly what iron they play on the golf course. LOL. People can play whatever club they like to play. Whether or not it benefits them is of no importance to you. I'll rephrase it shouldn't be of importance to you....unless you are their instructor or pro.

The OP asked if there was a forgiving blade and I saw a couple decent posts with suggestions before the onslaught of mid to low caps who play GI came through with their "your handicap is too high BS". Lets get back to the original post. For the record I only play blades in 8-SW, so I couldn't recommend a forgiving long iron blade if there is such a thing.

Also to mention - theres a big difference between being a good ball strikers and someone who can shape shots.

I don't even pretend to think I can shape shots on purpose here.

I haven't seen a post in this thread where anyone said they were benefitting from blades.

You come off like my 10 yaer old nephew when he argues with his sister about how he can freely put his hand in her face because its a free country.

Obviously, nobody is arguing that a person absolutely CAN'T play a set of blades. Play blades if you want, you're right, its their choice...that was never questioned so stop emphasizing that like you're making a profound arguement. We're having a discussion. We're giving them honest assessment from our past experiences and from what we see/read/observe on this forum. Don't get so wound up because someone questioned your intentions of playing blades. For the sake of having a discussion, I am giving suggestions based on what I observe often with golfers. I've been there...we all have. Then many low h'cappers and pros alike realized that its just not necessary...so I find it odd that a high h'capper finds it necessary.

I haven't seen a post in this thread where anyone said they were benefitting from blades. As for the free country excuse, uhhhh yeah it really is a free country and people can decide on their own what food to eat, what car to drive,

Not true. You can't marry someone of the same gender, and you can't marry more than one person. Sweden is the freest country in the world, according to the U.N. But the free country argument also assumes that in this free country, there is another freedom called freedom of speech. Under that freedom, we can tell the 20 handicap with the blades that he's a moron.

But anyway, apparently so far in this thread we've learned I play CBs because I learned on Northwestern blades, which are apparently crap. Of course, that's 100% false. They were very fine forged clubs made in the U.S., which is more than can be said for most. The clubs weren't the problem, my swing was. We've learned that all the low handicaps, scratch golfers, and tour pros play CBs because they don't understand "feel" and "shaping shots." Of course the 15 handicaps know better than tour pros, why wouldn't they? I like to shape my shots too, I prefer the shape "straight." I can still hit a draw or a fade with my irons, but it's much more likely I'll need to hit it straight than a 50 yard escape hook.

I have been hitting 4 per 9 with my g5's. I played a combo set last year 7-pw mb and 3-6 cb's and hit about 2 greens per 9. So my GIR stat is a 100% improvement over last year so far. And my driving is actually worse so far this year than last year!

Last I checked this (USA) is a free country and I am entitled to free speech. And if some hack comes on here posting about playing blades, I have the right to question/dissuade/comment.

Not true. You can't marry someone of the same gender

Depends on the state, but that is a whole other discussion that we don't want to get into.

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!