IGNORED

Tiger and the Vardon Trophy

FAHooGolfs
Note: This thread is 6453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I saw an interesting note yesterday that made me wonder where we'll see Tiger again.

As of the end of the Deutsche Bank Championship, Tiger leads the race for the Vardon Trophy (award for best scoring average in case you didn't know) over Jim Furyk by a margin of 68.30 to 69.06.

However, to win the Vardon Trophy, a player has to play at least 60 rounds, and because of Tiger's missed cut at the US Open and withdrawal from Nissan after 2 rounds, he's only played in 14 tournaments or 52 rounds.

With the AmEx Championship coming up after the Ryder Cup and the HSBC World Match Play being part of the European Tour and thus not counting towards the PGA Scoring Title, where is Tiger going to pick up his remaining 4 rounds? Of the remaining events, Disney is the only event Tiger has played with some regularity.

Or does he even care that much about the Vardon Trophy to add another event to the schedule?
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

my first thought would be he doesn't care about the Vardon Trophy enough to find additional tourneys in order to qualify. He seems like he just wants to get through the Ryder Cup and then go hide until the Masters, just my opinion. I would think Tiger will continue to be extremely selective about where and when he plays.

• Administrator
With the AmEx Championship coming up after the Ryder Cup and the HSBC World Match Play being part of the European Tour and thus not counting towards the PGA Scoring Title, where is Tiger going to pick up his remaining 4 rounds?

The Tour Championship?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Tour Championship?

I'm pretty sure the Vardon Trophy is awarded before The TOUR Championship. Could be wrong though, but I don't think those 4 rounds count.

In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

• Administrator
I'm pretty sure the Vardon Trophy is awarded before The TOUR Championship. Could be wrong though, but I don't think those 4 rounds count.

Hence the question mark. I think you're right. Funny, the guy with seven wins (the next highest by anyone is TWO) won't win the Vardon trophy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

See, this is what he gets for playing that lightweight, cupcake schedule.

Yeah Tiger, come on dude live up to your name and play some tournaments. While you're at it make them the hard ones....oh hang on......The Open, The US PGA, The WGC....

In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

The Vardon Trophy is given out after the Tour Championship, so I think that is does count. Since there is no cut at the AmEx Championship and the Tour Championship he should win it with 60 rounds exactly. Not that he would miss the cut anyway.

Tiger might set another amazing record by being the first player to miss the cut and still win the tournament

Note: This thread is 6453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!