IGNORED

Collegiate Golf

Varsity_Golf
Note: This thread is 5054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All I can say is Remember the name, and read the signature. Plus, i started with my handicap in the spring being 26.0, and its dropped to 19.0, so yes I do have work to do, but I fully believe that I can do anythiing I set my mind to, and believe me, I HAVE SET MY MIND TO THIS.

Honestly, you probably think that a 7 point drop is a huge drop. Well unless it's a 10 to a 3 or something like that, it isn't. It took a few months for mine to drop like 15 strokes, and for a while I've been around a 8-12 range.

I'm guessing you'll get your handicap to a 6 by the end of high school. And that is nowhere near good enough. By all means, though, good luck bro.

Even at my D-3 school, the worst handicap on the team is just under 3, with the most being scratch golfers.

If you just keep playing and work at it, you'll see a drop in your handicap. Honestly, it is possible to play on a college team even with a slight improvement in your game. Currently, I play on my college's DIII team, have played in a few matches a year, and I've never even shot in the 70's before. It seems like you are on pace to be on a DIII team. There are plenty of good golfers, except the range is much greater (I typically see -1 to +1 win with the last place finisher somewhere around 100) and they don't give out schollarships. It all depends on what kind of school you go to. Usually, it's rare to see a DI or DII school without a golf program but division three schools sometimes don't have certain sports. When you are at the point where you are looking at colleges, make sure you put academics first. However, if you see a college with a good biology program, isn't too expensive, and you get in, go ahead and attempt to walk on for the team.

Good luck with the rest of your high school career. I hope you can accomplish your goal.

Even at my D-3 school, the worst handicap on the team is just under 3, with the most being scratch golfers.

Well, I think that is pretty rare. Most of the time the backend of the rotation isn't THAT strong.

I am a 6.3 at the moment (playing more like a 10 right now, LOL), but I am playing at JUCO next year. I'll probably be the best or 2nd best on the team, as they usually have guys shooting mid to upper 80's then a few 90 players at the backend. D-3, most places, I would assume are a little stronger with that, but still, most of the backend guys are in the mid 80's.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I don't know much about D-3 golf, but ma y kids at my school grew up playing golf, as many who attend my school come very affluent families, which might be why our team is good. Sorry, I was just going off my information I had.

I played D-3 golf on a pretty good top 10 nationally ranked team. However, D-3 golf has a lot of variation in the skill level from team to team. In our conference of 8 schools or so there were only 3-4 teams that had a realistic chance of winning tournaments or the conference. To make the squad for a contending team you had to shoot at least in the 74-80 range consistantly and closer to par to stay on the varsity starting 5 that traveled week to week. If you played for a conference bottom dweller you could shoot in the mid 80's and probably make the starting 5.

The individual medalists at tournaments were usually between -5 to E par for 2 day tournaments, but you also had guys on the weaker teams shooting +30 total for 2 days. The winning teams (count best 4 of 5 scores each day) were usually E to +10 for a 2 day tourney.

D3 golf was great, some pressure at conference & nat'l tourneys or more well known invitationals, but mostly relaxed as we all knew that it was for fun. Lots of free golf, some long road trips, fast food and questionable hotels, but overall a good college experience.

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

I played D-3 golf on a pretty good top 10 nationally ranked team. However, D-3 golf has a lot of variation in the skill level from team to team. In our conference of 8 schools or so there were only 3-4 teams that had a realistic chance of winning tournaments or the conference. To make the squad for a contending team you had to shoot at least in the 74-80 range consistantly and closer to par to stay on the varsity starting 5 that traveled week to week. If you played for a conference bottom dweller you could shoot in the mid 80's and probably make the starting 5.

Yeah this is what I figured. Sure, there are great D-3 squads out there that have a great starting few guys, but most D-3 schools you don't need to be a 3 handicap or better to play.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

Yeah this is what I figured. Sure, there are great D-3 squads out there that have a great starting few guys, but most D-3 schools you don't need to be a 3 handicap or better to play.

Keep in mind that in the northeast college golf is weaker than the south and west. I would say D-3 and Juco colleges in the south probably field very solid teams every year. I would almost venture to guess that a lot of D-2 and D-3 teams in the south would beat a lot of D-1 teams in the north.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Keep in mind that in the northeast college golf is weaker than the south and west. I would say D-3 and Juco colleges in the south probably field very solid teams every year. I would almost venture to guess that a lot of D-2 and D-3 teams in the south would beat a lot of D-1 teams in the north.

This is very true as well, good call.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

Note: This thread is 5054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!