IGNORED

I'm new to golf....

Dry Ink
Note: This thread is 6431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was wondering if someone could suggest some good entry level clubs, a full set of course. I recently went to the driving range and hit some balls with a crappy 3 wood they had there that looked like it was from 1987, well he said the balls were 80% balls (whatever that means)... and I was hitting them to the very back of the range (250 yards)... and the guy there told me I should invest in some better clubs and play some more. Well I know nothing about golf, and he suggested I just go to Dick's Sporting Goods and buy a cheap 100 dollar set, since I am new. I'll be mostly going to the range for a while, but none the less I was wondering if someone could advise me about which clubs to purchase, and how much it would cost me, any help would be appreciated.

In The Bag....
Driver: Cobra ZL
Woods: Callaway X Hot
Irons: Gigagolf GX2 Hybrids, Nike Pro Combo
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 60º, Gigagolf SGS Black 52º, 56º
Putter:
Nike IC 20-20 Mallet
Ball: Top Flite Gamer V2, D2 Feel, Titleist NXT Tour and Srixon AD333

if you are just going to go to the range for awhile and work on things a $100 set might work for you, but if you plan to get more involved and play more often, I would suggest maybe 1 or 2 lessons and get professionaly fit for your clubs. It may seem like a lot of money for just starting but if you plan to continue golfing (and getting better!) you want whats going to work best for your particular swing, for example shaft flex, bounce angle, and grips.
REZGOLF

Currently in the bag-

R7 460 9.5 stiffV-steel 3 wood stiff/V-steel 5 wood stiff/2 iron hybrid reg.R.A.C OS2 irons reg.52, 56, & 60 deg. regularScotty Cameron Studio Design Newport II

Thank you for your help, I use to have a neighbor who was into golf for many years and he taught me a lot of basics, such as stance, a proper swing and grip... but I am just now starting to really have interest in it. I was too young to care before, and now I see how fun the sport can be.

In The Bag....
Putter:
Nike IC 20-20 Mallet

Dry Ink,

As unpleasant as that sounds, it is a great idea!

Go to a teaching professional and have him go over the basics - grip, alignment, aim, posture etc. . .

Nothing worse than having to CHANGE bad habits developed on our own.

Anyway, he will likely have some very good imput on what clubs you should buy, and may even be able to help you get a discount!

Best of luck!

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

Ink,

You are going to both love and hate this sport. Golf has taught me a lot about controlling my emotions and keeping life in perspective as silly as that may sound. I enjoy the game, equipment, and my fellow players.

I highly recommend that you get out as soon as possible and take a series of three lessons to ingrain the fundamentals early. There really is no substitute. Bite the bullet and do it. You won't regret it.

As for clubs, familiarize yourself with the game and then you'll be able to make a more educated decision about clubs.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Won't I need some clubs if I go and get lessons? Should I even bother purchasing a cheap set right now? I appreciate all this advice, I am definitely going to take some lessons and go about this the right way so I can make the most of it.

In The Bag....
Putter:
Nike IC 20-20 Mallet

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...Id=17508385221

I am thinking about purchasing these and going to get some lessons. Does anyone have any input on these clubs? (I know they aren't exactly what a serious golfer would buy, but I am just starting out and they will be used briefly).

In The Bag....
Putter:
Nike IC 20-20 Mallet

• Administrator

If you're serious, pick up a set of used clubs. You can spend $300 and get a good set of used clubs that will last you for a long time. Not "used briefly."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you're serious, pick up a set of used clubs. You can spend $300 and get a good set of used clubs that will last you for a long time. Not "used briefly."

I don't know if you have one nearby, but a place like 2nd Swing Golf or Play It Again Sports could be great resources for getting a nice set of used clubs. You could probably pick up a solid set for around $200-$300, and they'll last you several years.

I'd suggest going that route over the starter set from Dick's. PS You can also look into component clubmakers, like www.pinemeadowgolf.com . I've heard their equipment is pretty solid, and very reasonable.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

Won't I need some clubs if I go and get lessons? Should I even bother purchasing a cheap set right now? I appreciate all this advice, I am definitely going to take some lessons and go about this the right way so I can make the most of it.

First of all, welcome! You can take lessons without clubs since most courses have rental clubs (and some of them are pretty nice). Might give you and your instructor an estimate of what you should really be playing. Another option for good equipment cheap is on ebay. Good luck with the lessons and welcome again to the worlds greatest sport and pasttime.

Mike

Titleist 915 D-2 9,5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist 915H 18*

Mizuno MP-4 3-PW

Mizuno MP 54* & 60*

Yes Pippi Putter

Note: This thread is 6431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!