IGNORED

Vanity handicapper!

hipcheck4u
Note: This thread is 5042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why must it be driver - wedge? My home course has 2 par 5's which are just barely reachable for me with 2 really good shots... driver - 3 wood (and I rarely even get the chance... usually have to lay up instead). For the rest I generally use almost every club in my bag... par 4 holes range from a short of 340 to a long of 430... and those are all from the middle tees. I have to hit a monster drive to play

Relax - I wasn't singling out anyone specific with my comment. I think it's safe to say that looking down a eagle putt is usually a relative rarity for most of us mid/low mid cappers (you used the term "occasional', with which I agree) and having a meaningful chance at sinking that putt is even rarer still. Its not that you shouldn't get those chances, it's just that they're not normally an expected occurrence. If somebody should find themselves in the position where they have a meaningful shot at eagle on a par 5 more often than they don't then I'd argue that they can move back a tee without any noticeable harm to their score.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relax - I wasn't singling out anyone specific with my comment. I think it's safe to say that looking down a eagle putt is usually a relative rarity for most of us mid/low mid cappers (you used the term "occasional', with which I agree) and having a meaningful chance at sinking that putt is even rarer still. Its not that you shouldn't get those chances, it's just that they're not normally an expected occurrence. If somebody should find themselves in the position where they have a meaningful shot at eagle on a par 5 more often than they don't then I'd argue that they can move back a tee without any noticeable harm to their score.

If I move back one tee, I'll be on the ladies' tee for the previous hole. Having said that, I average < 1 eagle putt per round, so your comment probably wasn't really aimed at me either.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

kind of a neat topic....but I can see this start to spiral out of control
anyways......where were we?

oh yeah...i dont even know what a vanity capper was until i read this
i think some if the dudes at my course thought I was one at the start of the year
i was a 2.9, but this was based on the past 8 rounds from last year, and one from this year
it was the 7th round of the year for me, and played in a tourney
i lost my match play to a 9 capper at the time, he destroyed me

one of the cocky older guys (45 & still smoked weed on the course..what a douche) anyways...says hey are you a 2 or 20?? aaahahha!!!
I was pissed and wanted to kick his stoned ass.............

but got me thinkning...i shot 82, then 76 that weekend.......i was all over the place

EAGLES - I have one this year - 545 yd par 5, on in two, one putt in the heart
had 2 last year, also on par 5's

i wouldnt call myself a low capper, but rather mid
here my last 8 18 holes rounds (not combined 9's either & i have 40 rounds in this year)

77 (home)
78 (home)
72 (par 69) - away
70 (par 68) - away
79 (away) rated at 73.6
85 (home)
80 (home)
74 (home)

consistency is coming, but man....i need to get past this 5.2 cap....aarrgghh.......thats a whole other story
nice to see some 1.0 and + cappers having higher rounds too...you are human
i need to break par something fierce this year (on 18)
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

If I move back one tee, I'll be on the ladies' tee for the previous hole. Having said that, I average < 1 eagle putt per round, so your comment probably wasn't really aimed at me either.

You are correct. My comment was aimed at no one. It was driven by the sheer boredom that accompanies a 9 to 5 office job.

I should probably shut up but still - if you see somebody hitting from whites who is long enough and consistent enough to get regular eagle opportunities, wouldn't you think that they could play the blues without much struggle? Conversely, why do you choose the back tees? Why not move up and make things easier on yourself? Where people choose to play from is of zero consequence to me, I just don't think I'd enjoy the game as much as I do if it didn't have a certain level of challenge appropriate to my skill level.

You are correct. My comment was aimed at no one. It was driven by the sheer boredom that accompanies a 9 to 5 office job.

Are you just joking now?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Are you just joking now?

No, just trying to clarify my point by using your choice as a counter-example. My guess is that you play the backs (and I play the blues) because 1.) you enjoy the challenge that they provide and 2.) the more forward tees wouldn't provide the same level of challenge.

My original point was the opposite - people who play from tees that are 'easier' than they could really handle on a regular basis are taking a little bit of the challenge out of the game. Fun golf for me is a mixture of challenging holes and easier ones. If you take away some of the challenging holes, then golf (for me, at least) becomes less fun. Sure, I'd probably average a better gross score from the whites, but it simply wouldn't be as enjoyable to me.

Note: This thread is 5042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!