IGNORED

Etiquette and cheating

supah
Note: This thread is 6435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yesterday I first played a round with a guy cheating and a second round with one in a bad mood not following the normal etiquette at all. What do you do when you play with people like this? Tbh I didnt know what to do when I saw the guy taking a ball out of his pocket and dropping it, pretending it was there all the time and not in the woods. I probably should have said something tho.

The guy in the bad mood kept swearing and yelling when he hit a bad shot, commanding me around, telling me how the game should be played, showing me what I did 'wrong' and so on. Im also completely new to the game, shouldnt he have shown some understanding?

So what do you do when you are playing with such people? I just played my game, or tried to, and followed the normal etiquette, but felt like I shouldv said something.

Unfortunately, there are cheats and rude people everywhere, they are like rabbits...they reproduce vociferously.

I would ignore the cheat unless we had money on the game.

I would ask the other guy if he breathes in or out in his downswing... I might also ask him if he kisses his Mother with that mouth....

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I think you have done great just to play your own game and not saying anything at all. Its always horrible to paly with someone shouting and screaming at everything and then telling you what to do..

as for the person who dropped a ball as if no one seen it, well all i can say is the old cliche "he is only cheating himself"

play your own game mate, keep the etiquette up and dont lower your self to thier standards. well done!

You did not mention the handicap of the bad mood guy. It can be tough for a midcap or lower to play with a 36 unless there is some familial, work or friendship bond already in place. Not an excuse for poor manners but often true.

Supah,

I agree with the rest of the posters and just laugh at the cheater, unless you have money on the game. Funny story: We were visiting family in Florida last winter and decided to play some golf. My son and I were paired up with an older gentlemen and a fellow I recognized as a local catholic priest. We had been to mass the night before and he introduced himself as the local vicar. In any event, he looked to be having a terrible round but when it came time to tally the scorecards he had somehow talked himself into an 82, not even close to what he shot by my reckoning. My son and I had a big laugh about it - even a holy man can be tempted and often falls. But he was a nice guy and it was a fun round anyhow.

No excuse for rudeness as far as I'm concerned. When I'm paired with someone I don't know, I will let them know up front my skill level and give them an out if they don't want to lower themselves and play with a high handicapper. If they still go out after the warning then they have no excuse and you should call them on it. I play most of my golf at a public course where people will tolerate those of us still learning the game. If people in the golf world want this game to prosper and maintain participation, they should come down very hard on people like your rude friend. Less golfers means more housing developments or shopping malls, and we have enough of those.

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

He was a midcap player, but his friend who also was with us had HC 36. He played just as I did, and I dont think it was bad at all. We might not have been super fast at all times, partly because we are new but also because there was noone behind us. In his eyes tho his friend played flawlessly, and all I did was wrong, hehe I think what this guy found hard was that I often played better than him. Guess he got frustrated. Just makes the whole round ruined when one player is acting like that. I was hoping he'd hit a great shot each time so he wouldnt whine.

I always point out that im new to the game when teaming up with people, and most seem fine with it and are more than willing to give me guidelines and answer whatever questions I might have. Got a bit surprised when I teamed up with such 'bad' players - And *two* times in a row! Yikes.

it happend once to me - I was paired up with a "know-it-all" guy who didn't shut up and was yelling and screaming after every shot (which most of the time was shitty). After 2nd hole I told him, that he's a jerk and should know he's not alone on the course and I'm not intenting to put up with it. I picked up my bag and walked back in. Luckily the starter was nice enough to allow me to restart my round with the next possible opening. You could try to reason with "them", but sometimes you can see right away - you'd be talking to a wall

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

...I didnt know what to do when I saw the guy taking a ball out of his pocket and dropping it, pretending it was there all the time and not in the woods....

as long you're not competing with him - I'd not interfere. Play your own game and don't pay attention is my motto

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He was a midcap player, but his friend who also was with us had HC 36. He played just as I did, and I dont think it was bad at all. We might not have been super fast at all times, partly because we are new but also because there was noone behind us. In his eyes tho his friend played flawlessly, and all I did was wrong, hehe

can i ask when you say you got teamed up with 2 bad players in a row,

in the usa do you get teamed up with people on the course even if you dont know them? or was this a comp etc etc? or is this what happens in the us to keep the games flowing?

I think Supah's from Norway so I'm not sure how they do it there.

Where I play on public courses in the US, it's quite common to be paired up if you are alone or a twosome. If the course isn't crowded they'll usually let you play as a single or in something less than a foursome. Most of the time, you'll meet some nice people and have an enjoyable round of golf.

I can't speak for the private clubs but I imagine it's much the same.

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

can i ask when you say you got teamed up with 2 bad players in a row,

First guy just asked me if he could come along with me when I was about to start, the second group joined me on hole 2 basically because I felt it would be egoistic to go by myself when there was a decent queue atm. Btw im from Norway and this was at my home course

No competition or anything, just a normal day. People just wait around at the starting area if they want to team up with someone. Theres no organized teaming up, its up to the players. GreensDruid beat me to it

I applaud you for your control in ignoring the cheat. As far as the guy in the bad mood goes, if he is having a bad day and cursing himself, the course, and/or his clubs....its a good thing that you ignored him and played your game, and probably that was the best move. BUT..... if he, as you stated starting telling you where to be and how to play. THATS TOTAL BS!!! I don't care what his handicapp was or what yours is, you paid to play the same as he did and just because he is having a bad day or you are not as good a player makes no difference, he has no right to tell you how to play. Whatever happened to golf being a GENTLEMANS GAME!!!
REZGOLF

Currently in the bag-

R7 460 9.5 stiffV-steel 3 wood stiff/V-steel 5 wood stiff/2 iron hybrid reg.R.A.C OS2 irons reg.52, 56, & 60 deg. regularScotty Cameron Studio Design Newport II

I applaud you for your control in ignoring the cheat. As far as the guy in the bad mood goes, if he is having a bad day and cursing himself, the course, and/or his clubs....its a good thing that you ignored him and played your game, and probably that was the best move. BUT..... if he, as you stated starting telling you where to be and how to play. THATS TOTAL BS!!! I don't care what his handicapp was or what yours is, you paid to play the same as he did and just because he is having a bad day or you are not as good a player makes no difference, he has no right to tell you how to play. Whatever happened to golf being a GENTLEMANS GAME!!!

Indeed, what happened to that, hehe. I was so convinced everyone behaved and focused on having a good time when I was first introduced to golf. And in the beginning my first impression was quite right. All the pro's and leaders within the club were really friendly and great to play and talk with. Iv got a good image of both sides now tho. Guess its like that in all sports

If I team up with a 'moody' player again, ill let him know if it gets too bad. Just didnt really know how to react. It did completely ruin my gameplay. So hard to focus when you're together with a mad player and it seems like you're in the way all the time.

So hard to focus when you're together with a mad player and it seems like you're in the way all the time.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't feel that way, just play your game and focus on your round the best you can If the other player doesn't want to pair up with you he has that choice after the round or he can leave right then and there. You have to remember, he isnt Tiger Woods (is he? ) so he isnt the best in the world, and I seriously doubt that he came into the world a good player. He had to learn the game same as you. And besides, if he is cursing that much he may not be as good as he claims to be.

REZGOLF

Currently in the bag-

R7 460 9.5 stiffV-steel 3 wood stiff/V-steel 5 wood stiff/2 iron hybrid reg.R.A.C OS2 irons reg.52, 56, & 60 deg. regularScotty Cameron Studio Design Newport II

Note: This thread is 6435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!