IGNORED

How accurate is that video screen at golf galaxy?

BadGolfer
Note: This thread is 5010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well this is definitely not too encouraging... I'm looking at buying my first set of clubs at GolfTown soon, so I don't really have any irons to compare them with (been renting/borrowing clubs and won't be able to have any when I go to the store). Comparing clubs in the store to each other on the screen, does that work (as far as how straight and far the shots go), or is that totally bogus too...?

As long as you're trying different clubs out on the same machine the fact that the results are skewed or not doesn't matter. Considering this is your first set of clubs you don't really have any game experience to base it off of. If you hit one club 20 yards further than you would in real life, you're going to hit every club 20 yards further than you would in real life. The method of measurement is the same throughout the testing, whether flawed or not.

The skewed machine comes into play when people are trying out a new set of clubs and they are basing their decision by comparing it to how they hit the clubs they already have. Take whichever one feels the best and you hit the best according to their machine.

Driver: 4DX SuperMag 10.5º
Fairway Wood: 4DX 3-Wood
Hybrids: 5DX 3, 4
Irons: 4DX Pro 5-PW
Wedges: Arc 52º, 54º, VR 58ºPutter(s): SeeMore FGP OriginalBag: Org.14 Xtreme

Well this is definitely not too encouraging... I'm looking at buying my first set of clubs at GolfTown soon, so I don't really have any irons to compare them with (been renting/borrowing clubs and won't be able to have any when I go to the store). Comparing clubs in the store to each other on the screen, does that work (as far as how straight and far the shots go), or is that totally bogus too...?

Ask them if they rent the machine out for playing rounds of golf - if they do, then they'll have it calibrated and set for real distances. I checked on in Calgary and in Red Deer (AB) and they were right on the mark - within 5 yards. I know this because I was having some loft and lies tweaked and then I went back and had a couple more clubs adjusted after confirming on the course (with laser rangefinder) that their numbers were good.

It's possible some Golf Town machines are off, which is why you have to bring along some clubs you hit consistently for comparison.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

At the Golf Galaxy I usually go to, the players' reps told me the launch monitor registers 5% less yardage than you would get outdoors.

I've seen some people at GG who were very big and strong and/or had really quick hands hit a drive close to 300 yards, but not that many.

Another factor: What kind of balls do you get to hit at a given shop?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's possible some Golf Town machines are off, which is why you have to bring along some clubs you hit consistently for comparison.

This is a good idea for people who have been playing a while, but he said he's just starting out and has only rented and borrowed clubs. I doubt he gets enough consistency to be able to judge if their machine is wonky.

This is a good idea for people who have been playing a while, but he said he's just starting out and has only rented and borrowed clubs. I doubt he gets enough consistency to be able to judge if their machine is wonky.

Then why does he care how accurate their machines are? BTW - the "screen" has no bearing on the machine's accuracy, should I call him on that too?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Then why does he care how accurate their machines are?

I don't know. He shouldn't. That's the point I was trying to make in my previous post.

Note: This thread is 5010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!