IGNORED

My Swing (majorchamp)

majorchamp
Note: This thread is 4388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi sports fans, I have some more swing videos.

My goal today was to "try" and shorten my swing, try to not let my wrists hinge as much, try to get my arms down quicker, and try to prevent my right elbow from over-swinging/folding.

Often very difficult to work on so much in 2 bags of balls. Oh well.

First, I always think my practice swings look the best...don't we all. So I have uploaded one of my sandwedge practice swings which shows a better backswing to the top, shorter swing, and even a little bit better lag (though not great).

Was curious how you guys feel about the positions I am in for my practice swing alone, since I know my regular swing with a ball is a cluster f*ck and a half.

Sand Wedge Practice Swing (CaddyView) - With slow motion

Sand Wedge Swing (CaddyView) - with slow motion

8 Iron Swing (CaddyView) - with slow motion

5 Iron Swing (caddyview) with slow motion

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we would score with our practice swings we probably shoot in the 60´s regullary. I notice it with mine too - i get in much better positions, incorporate the things i´m trying to do much better, but when i get over the ball, something goes wrong.

I have a question to your swing regarding your leg action. Do you push both your knees inwards a bit or is that just an illusion? When your right leg "straightens" out and your butt feels like its going "towards the target" is this an active or passive move. How is your weight distribution at beginning and on top? The weight you have left on your right leg, is it mostly in the back of the foot or evenly balanced between the back and the middle of the foot? Did you watch Hogan videos for that kind of backswing move?

Sorry if these things have already been asked - i havent gone through the whole thread yet.

How did you try to shorten your backswing? I find it really difficult to do - one thing i read (i think from Sam Snead while talking about overswinging) is to make the left thumb "really long" which would result in less hinging and less backswing, but it´s still kinda tough... The other option he mentioned was hitting balls without shoes.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

If we would score with our practice swings we probably shoot in the 60´s regullary. I notice it with mine too - i get in much better positions, incorporate the things i´m trying to do much better, but when i get over the ball, something goes wrong.

Hey Kafka.

Regarding my knees...on the address, backswing, or downswing? Honestly, I sometimes think my leg action is goofy and can never quite pinpoint what I am doing wrong regarding my legs, feet, or knees. The right leg straighten with butt would be an active move, since its something I am trying to work on. At beginning, my weight distribution is probably 65% (left) / 35% (right). At the top, its probably close to the same. I am not sure where the weight on my right foot is...the swing is so fast I don't have time to think about it. The backswing move is what I have learned since joining this forum, talking with my buddy Deron Sizemore, and watching some stack and tilt stuff. Shortening my swing is pretty much a forced option..I try to stop my swing when my left shoulder and chin touch...but for some reason I always go much farther. I see the pros with their hands still about 5 inches from their head (when looking at them from caddy view) when they are at the top of their swing..but my hands damn near go behind my head. irks me bad! Never tried the left thumb thing..but I feel like that would screw up my grip :)

Down The Line Videos

Just trying a simple short swing...I think the backswing and follow through look great :)

Sand Wedge with Slow Motion

8 Iron Down the Line

5 Iron Down the Line

btw - On many of my shots today, I felt like I was pulling them. Felt it was worth mentioning.

couple more videos from today.

I was focusing specifically on trying to drive the butt of the club at the ball, as I felt it helps bring my arms across my body quicker. I felt it was working, because I was making very good contact and making some nice divots. The lag is still lacking..but prior to today, I have attempted to bring the butt of the club straight down, which I feel acts against what I am attempting.

So the club toward the ball at least promotes trying to maintain that lag PLUS getting the arms to begin a lateral motion toward the target..so killing two birds with one stone.

Not much of a difference here..though I think my lower body looks better in today's picture (bottom) then the previous swing

• Administrator
Not much of a difference here..though I think my lower body looks better in today's picture (bottom) then the previous swing

Looks two inches or so better to me. Your first swing was really long (overflexed). Spend the money and buy a Swing Extender.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am really excited about this next picture. Even if I lose the lag a bit later in the swing...its DEFINITELY progress! that butt end of the club drill definitely works.

On another note..was tinkering with my swing tonight because of this "over folding / swinging" issue with my right elbow. Kind of determined the cause. So I noticed whenever I swing with or without a golf club, just practice swings, I don't do the over folding. Even if I TRY to get it folded...I can't, because the path I take the club to the top with simply doesn't let my arms fold that way. I have tried..they don't want to, even if I try to over swing.

Put a golf ball in front of me though...and my arms magically take on a more "vertical" direction at I head to the top (more vertical relative to what I was doing in practice swings)...and doing this move actually initiates or positions in left arm to be able to fold, which in turn lets the right arm fold.

So instead of continuing to swing around my body, about waist high on the back swing I begin to "lift" my arms hence creating this issue. This is why, even if I actively TRY to shorten my swing, I still fold the arm because even with a shorter swing I am making a bad backswing.

I really just need to work more on making my real swing get into positions I get in with practice swings.

• 1 year later...

1st Time out the other day

2nd Time out this year

Was absolutely crushing my driver. High, straight, and far! 300+ yards on many of them.

trying to work on clearing my hips better, and letting the club fall on the downswing, rather then me throw it at the ball or get in somewhat of a casting position.

Hey MC, first off you have a nice looking swing. I've been working hard on my swing through evolvr and here's a youtube video that has really helped me as I've progressed. Looking at many of your video's you've posted and as others have previously stated your hands are not far enough forward at impact with enough forward shaft lean. It may not fix all your problems but I think it's a great drill in maintaining the angle in your right wrist through impact helping you maintain lag and forward shaft lean.

Good Luck,

Parker0065

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Hey guys,

So I am continuing my pursuit of a better downswing :)

My swing from yesterday compared to today is night and day I believe in terms of the start of my downswing and my follow-thru. I know the problem areas..but figuring out the solution on maintaining that lag throughout the entire downswing and keeping the forward angled shaft at impact is a bit tough. However, my progress between yesterday and today might very well be the correct direction I am heading.

Approaching impact I still "lose the lag" and got some funkyness going on with my lower body prior and after impact.

A buddy of mine also believes he notices my backswing "lifting" around the time I get past parallel to the ground during the takeaway. It's hard for me to see it, but I do feel like I am missing something during the backswing up to the top. Visually it looks fine, but I feel like I need more separation between my head and the club shaft. Maybe its no big deal..I feel like players like Sean O'Hair and Justin Rose have nice separation.

I do need to work on taking the club straight back on the takeaway...it's a bit too inside. Anyways, just a cluster of questions in my head right now..here is the visual evidence.

Yesterday:

Today:

Need your thoughts please.

Thanks

I am also well aware how much "forward" my upper body goes close to impact versus keeping my lower body going forward and rotating..while keeping my upper body "back"..so that is one of the next things to work on.

So I've only been out a few times this year, but I am already making good progress in a few specific areas of my swing.

1. I've been working on my takeaway and moving it straight back, rather then the inside.

2. I am "trying" to move away from "lifting" my arms once I am past the take-away and more focus on rotation of my shoulders to move the club to the top.

3. Casting is something I have fought for a long time. Fortunately my timing has always been good so I get away with it. I am starting to create a better start of my downswing. As I get about hip high you can tell I start to lose it a bit...and this has to do with me not getting my hands across my body near impact so I can "trap" the ball more...I still have what appears to be a scooping approach, even though I take nice divots and hit the ball very solid. So getting that forward leaning shaft at impact is something I am still working on..it's tough.

Is there anything in my swing that strikes you as odd or something I need to look at that is causing me to maybe lose my lag, etc...

Today's focus was to keep my head and upper body from progressing toward the target on the downswing and watching these videos, I do a good job of keeping it still / behind.

Here are 2 more videos from today...I really slowed them down. I am really struggling with that impact position. I just keep messing up on my first downward movement and my hips, and I am slightly coming over the top as well.

Majorchamp -

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I remember following your swing last year and being really impressed with the timing and fluid nature of your swing.

In the most recent videos, I'm noticing a few things that stand out (many of which are likely not new):

• Hands moving outside on takeaway
  • Separation of left bicep and chest
  • Lifting of arms on backswing
  • Shallow shoulder plane
  • "Slowness" of hands during downswing

All of these facts likely can and do impact your ability to generate and maintain lag into impact.

My swing is a long ways from where I'd like it to be, but I have addressed many of these issues (including flipping) within the last year.  Lifting your hands and losing pressure with your chest will get your arms and core out of sequence during the swing.  Working specifically on getting my hands "deeper" (a commonly used term here that I was once against), has really helped me keep the handle in front of my body and significantly improved my swing plane, ball striking and accuracy (look ma, no more hooks!)

Please find my swing thread if you want to see how bad things looked.

Here are a few images of what I am working on, and how these positions are different from those in your video above:

Takeaway - Notice the shoulder plane and the lifting of the hands from the plane at address (teal).  You should feel pressure on the shaft in your right thumb and index here...

Majorchamp.jpg

Halfway back - Notice the height of your hands as your arms continue to lift... shoulders are still on the same plane.

Majorchamp2.jpg

Top of Backswing - Notice the height of your left hand and the gap between your bicep and your chest.  Still a good shoulder turn (in front on view), but a bit disconnected here.  Notice we're both still on the same approximate shoulder plane.

Majorchamp3.jpg

Downswing - Notice the height of your hands, the position of your right elbow and the angle of the shaft... Eric mentioned on page 5 (in 9/2010) to move your hands to the ground faster... this still very much applies.

Majorchamp4.jpg

***Don't mind the awful curve of my back here... This video really helped me realize that I need to keep my "butt against the wall" and give myself room to turn/extend through ball.***

Again... I'm not a teaching pro, and my index is currently around yours, but I've struggled with very similar issues.  If this sounds awful, you have every reason to ignore these comments.

I do have my own goals this year (footwork, hips, "ass position," etc), but I think that some of the things I've had success with may really help you organically achieve the lag and impact you are after:

• Maintain or increase pressure between your left bicep and chest during backswing
  • Keep your hands low and work them inside (near right thigh) on your takeaway
  • Get hands closer to above/beyond right shoulder at top
  • Keep clubhead outside of hands on takeaway
  • Move hands rapidly toward ground as you move from the top

Best of luck.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Delav,

I "really" appreciate the detailed post and insight into my swing. I am going to need some time to process all that you are talking about. The left bicep and the chest is interesting...I have known about "lifting" my arms for quite a while..in fact I have done it my entire life most likely. The hands moving outside on the takeway is closer to my attempt at keeping the clubhead outside the hands.

The slowness of the hands on the downswing is a stickler for me...simply because I have always been led to believe the swing starts with the lower body and the arms "fall" in succession with the lower body firing..versus "actively" dropping the hands which I used to do...and promoted much worse casting then I do now.

I've been analyzing quite a bit of footage from Tiger, Rory, Mahan, etc... so I am curious now to go back and look at their swings to the points you have mentioned...specifically the move to the top.

Thanks man!

Originally Posted by delav

Majorchamp -

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I remember following your swing last year and being really impressed with the timing and fluid nature of your swing.

In the most recent videos, I'm noticing a few things that stand out (many of which are likely not new):

Hands moving outside on takeaway

Separation of left bicep and chest

Lifting of arms on backswing

Shallow shoulder plane

"Slowness" of hands during downswing

All of these facts likely can and do impact your ability to generate and maintain lag into impact.

My swing is a long ways from where I'd like it to be, but I have addressed many of these issues (including flipping) within the last year.  Lifting your hands and losing pressure with your chest will get your arms and core out of sequence during the swing.  Working specifically on getting my hands "deeper" (a commonly used term here that I was once against), has really helped me keep the handle in front of my body and significantly improved my swing plane, ball striking and accuracy (look ma, no more hooks!)

Please find my swing thread if you want to see how bad things looked.

Here are a few images of what I am working on, and how these positions are different from those in your video above:

Takeaway - Notice the shoulder plane and the lifting of the hands from the plane at address (teal).  You should feel pressure on the shaft in your right thumb and index here...

Halfway back - Notice the height of your hands as your arms continue to lift... shoulders are still on the same plane.

Top of Backswing - Notice the height of your left hand and the gap between your bicep and your chest.  Still a good shoulder turn (in front on view), but a bit disconnected here.  Notice we're both still on the same approximate shoulder plane.

Downswing - Notice the height of your hands, the position of your right elbow and the angle of the shaft... Eric mentioned on page 5 (in 9/2010) to move your hands to the ground faster... this still very much applies.

***Don't mind the awful curve of my back here... This video really helped me realize that I need to keep my "butt against the wall" and give myself room to turn/extend through ball.***

Again... I'm not a teaching pro, and my index is currently around yours, but I've struggled with very similar issues.  If this sounds awful, you have every reason to ignore these comments.

I do have my own goals this year (footwork, hips, "ass position," etc), but I think that some of the things I've had success with may really help you organically achieve the lag and impact you are after:

Maintain or increase pressure between your left bicep and chest during backswing

Keep your hands low and work them inside (near right thigh) on your takeaway

Get hands closer to above/beyond right shoulder at top

Keep clubhead outside of hands on takeaway

Move hands rapidly toward ground as you move from the top

Best of luck.

If you watch both Tiger and Rory closely, you'll notice the connection between their left bicep and their chest.  This results in lower hands (Tiger especially), as well as a larger shoulder turn, earlier in the backswing.  Notice your shoulder turn at 3/4 back (right shoulder in particular) against theirs.  This lifting of your hands/arms reduces lessens this turn.

Notice the orange circles below.  This is the starting position of each players' hands.  You can also notice the pressure at the top of the swing... If you were wearing a lighter colored shirt, it would be more apparent.

Tiger 1.jpg

Tiger 2.jpg

Rory1.jpg

Rory 2.jpg

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Note: This thread is 4388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!