IGNORED

distances - getting the same distance with most of my clubs!

Note: This thread is 4995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

only started playing in March of this year after having lessons when i was 15 nearly 20 years ago now, but found a new love for it finally :o)

i remember a lot of what i was taught however one thing which is confusing me at the moment (i went to the range this morning) is that i hit my 7 iron (when connecting well) about 150 yards, my 5 iron 150 yards, and surprise surprise my 5 wood 150 yards! however my hybrid off the tee went about 170/180 maybe

i am comfortable on my irons and quite like the even numbers especially my 8 iron, i don't even try and use a driver let a lone the over sized Drivers about these days, so after all these ramblings my question is, how can i get more distance off my woods and lower irons?

i understand about playing the course and it would have to be a particularly long par 4 or 5 that i couldn't be on the green after 3 shots just using my 7 iron, but it would be nice to get some sort of distance....

i hope i have made my question clear, however please ask for clarity if you are unsure

the fact that your 5w, 5i and 7i go the same distance means that you are most likely misshitting your 5w, how confortable are you with the 3 an 4 irons?

Whats in my bag:

:nike: SQ Dymo2 Driver

Triumph Fairway Woods

:nike: VRs X Irons

:nike: VR V-Rev Wedge

:mizuno: Putter

When I started playing last year, I had the same issue. It seemed like all my clubs would go about the same distance. I still have no idea why that was, but I guess the more I played I "grew out of it" (or whatever you would call it).

Ping K15 12* | Ping K15 4h | Callaway Razr X HL Irons 5 - AW | Cleveland 54* and 58* wedges | Odyssey White Hot Tour Rossie | Bushnell Neo GPS | Nike M9 Cart Bag

the fact that your 5w, 5i and 7i go the same distance means that you are most likely misshitting your 5w, how confortable are you with the 3 an 4 irons?

i quite like the 4 iron, like it from 'first cut' rough, but can't hit it far, probably about the same distance.....

It is not uncommon for a "beginner" to gain no distance with longer clubs, and it is mostly because they try to hit a 5i harder than a 7i. You should swing the 5i at the same speed as your 7i and let the loft and 1 inch longer club to the work. As soon as you start working on a proper contact with both, you will notice a difference of about 20-25 yds between a 7i and 5i.

The 5W ..... I suggest that you focus on the irons for the time being, as soon as you manage to get good contact with your irons, you are ready to try the 5W.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I had the exact problem. What I found was that I was swing harder with the 5i than my 7i.

You just gotta work on your tempo. I bought tour tempo and started doing the exercises and voila! I got distance with my 5iron and 4 iron. That or you don't really have a consistent swing yet.

I don't want to become one of those "go get a lesson" guys but I was in a similar position to you. I had some lessons in high school (and even was a 3rd stringer on the golf team) but hadn't played for about 18 years. I accomplished in 6 weeks of lessons what I couldn't in over a year of hitting the range and reading golf tips. I had a similar problem with my irons, btw. I was doing lots of bad things - flipping, hitting off my back foot, swaying, swinging off-plane . .and all of these were resulting in all my irons going the same distance because the lower the loft, the more I hit it high and short and right.

The thing for me was not fixing my flaws, though. I don't know if I once understood and forgot or if I never understood . . but, when I started lessons, I did not understand the basic mechanics of the golf swing. Therefore, nothing I was going to try was going to fix me. I am having to start over fresh and, for the first time ever, I feel like the game actually makes a little sense.

Club head speed and consistent contact. Something else you may want to look into is if the range you use has limited flight balls. They will really fool you on distance since they tend to die at their apex. Definitely not your only problem but it could be a contributing factor.

Gary

In my Sasquatch stand bag
Driver: G5 10.5*
Fairway wood: R9 4 wood
Irons: R7 3-PW OR Firesole 3-PW
Wedges: VR 52-10 56-14 & 260-4Putter: TraceyShoe: Powerband 3.0

Note: This thread is 4995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!