IGNORED

My Swing (jallen100)

jallen100
Note: This thread is 4985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I follow the S&T; methods, so I would recommend reading that book. One thing I noticed is you don't cock your wrists so the shaft is 90 deg at the top of your back swing. Your shoulder turn is not very far, but that may be due to flexibility (I have the same issue). By not cocking your wrists enough, you will reduce power during your forward swing. Do a backswing drill (slowly) and stop at the top to see how your wrist angle is.

Also, your shoulder center moves backward during your backswing. If you rotate so your left shoulder goes down more toward the ball, and you keep your head and shoulder center still, then you can get more rotation. S&T; threads are numerous on this site, but the principles are sound. Weight forward, shoulder down, hands deep, etc. It has worked wonders for me.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Address--try moving the ball forward so that it's off your left heel. I think this will help minimize how much you move your head and shoulders back toward your right foot on the backswing.

Backswing--it is short, but I really like how your arms stay connected to your torso. Very nice Hoganesque/Matt Kuchar swing plane. Your shoulder turn could be more vertical (see my response to Brendon's video)

Forward swing--your head moves forward--you want it to stay where it was at the top of the backswing. If it moves back a bit, that's ok, but you don't want your head to move forward on the forward swing. You might have to feel that your head moves back on your forward swing to correct this. Because your head moves forward (which is partly a resultof the set up and backswing issues), you don't extend your lower lumbar spine and legs enough into impact, which results in you not releasing the club properly into follow through.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

After watching these I am noticing that I am not as flexible as I thought. Any advice on exercises or stretches to help with that issue?

In My Bag:

Driver:
Hybrid:
Irons: Putter:

Oh, and I really like the hip bump toward the left to initiate the forward swing.

Here's a nice thread with videos that explains the wrists and club head release http://http://thesandtrap.com/forum/...ghlight=wrists

The main issues with your swing are the swaying off the ball, then moving your head and torso forward on the forward swing, then lack of extension of lumbar spine, legs, and arms at impact. All these things are connected to each other; improve the ball position, swaying, etc and the extension and release will improve.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

After watching these I am noticing that I am not as flexible as I thought. Any advice on exercises or stretches to help with that issue?

Basic yoga--choose a DVD by an instructor that motivates you to do it, or you won't.

I have Kathy Smith's New Yoga Basics for beginners. http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

Basic yoga--choose a DVD by an instructor that motivates you to do it, or you won't.

I have a yoga for golfers video that I do a couple days a week. I just started it about 3 weeks ago though.

In My Bag:

Driver:
Hybrid:
Irons: Putter:

Yeah, more hinging would help. When you straight arm it, you can get a pretty wicked chicken wing finish and it is tougher to release down the line. Your arms need to go forward and left through the post impact area, and your left arm folds so quickly it sort of shuts off your extension. I have no problem with short backswings, but a bigger shoulder turn would allow you to get more power.

A good drill is to lay on your side, back straight, knees folded 90 degees and both arms laying on top of each other (palm to palm) perpendicular to your torso. Then leaving the lower arm in place, swing the other one straight up and over the top to a spread-eagled position on the other side and then back to the starting point. Do multiple 12 or 15 reps of this on both your left and right side, moving slowly and keeping your knees together and touching the table or floor -- don't let your knees rise or separate. Don't hurt yourself, and start slowly only after first getting your heart rate up a bit. When I started these, I could only get about 180 degrees of arm rotation. Now I do them on a narrow, elevated table and can get past 180 degrees. Best to have a certified exercise instructor work with you to get started and show you other exercises for flexibility.

RC

Note: This thread is 4985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!