IGNORED

Fantasy Golf for 2007?

damoc1
Note: This thread is 6372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can anyone let me know what the best fantasy golf league is to join for the pga tour?
I have never done a fantasy golf thing before but would like to do one for next year. Does my living in England limit myself from joining an American Fantasy Golf League??

any help would be appreciated.

You can definitely join ours when we get it started. Erik (iacas) or I will probably start one in December, so hang in there. We have been doing the EPSN one, but I don't think any of us are really too fond of it. We will do some searching, and who knows, we may even create our own kind of league.

Just keep in touch, and we will let everyone know. Living in England definitely won't hurt anything.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
You can definitely join ours when we get it started. Erik (iacas) or I will probably start one in December, so hang in there. We have been doing the EPSN one, but I don't think any of us are really too fond of it. We will do some searching, and who knows, we may even create our own kind of league.

Yeah, the ESPN one is the best out there by default. I don't like the ones where you have to change your guy every round or where you can only use a guy once or three times per year. TGC's "one and done" is like that. I also don't like the ones where you can't do your own league.

I'm tempted to start my own, but it'd take a hundred hours or so to develop and may not be any better in the end than the ones out there already, so I probably won't do it again. The ESPN/Best Ball one is "okay," but has its flaws. At least it's free and lets us have our own leagues without bothering us to check on it literally EVERY day like the yahoo one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I never knew Fantasy golf existed. I would be interested if thesandtrap got one going. I'll have to check it out over at ESPN just to see how it'd work. Is it like you have a team of players every week or do you have one player each week per tournament?

Aloha,
E
Getting To Scratch | Wie Blogging

The one at ESPN is best-ball format. Basically, you have 50 points per week to pick four players and a bench player (the bench player is worthless by the way). Obviously guys like Tiger, Phil, Furyk, etc. are like 18-20 points, and the guys way down the money list are in the 5-8 point range.

Anyway, it's all best-ball. If three of your guys get par and one gets birdie on the first hole, then you are -1 for that hole that day. It continues like that for all 18 holes. It's a key to have all four guys make the cut, but that rarely happens. Three of them making the cut is also good. The more chances they have at making birdies, the better.

I had only one or two make the cut in the U.S. Open this year, and my score was + something for the tournament. I didn't do well that week.

It's not my favorite style of fantasy golf, but it's still fun. I'd rather see something implemented that rewards picking golfers that finish in the top 10, top 20, and so on. Basically just having three or four guys make the cut is the key to doing great.

I also must admit I finished sixth in the world in the second segment last season. Five spots better, and I would have been going to Hawaii. Needless to say, I haven't finished anywhere close to that since.

• 2 weeks later...

I have played in a few fantasy golf leagues. As the marketing lead for PGATOUR.com I have my preferences . Truthfully, all of the games, those on PGATOUR.com, ESPN, TheGolfChannel, etc.. have unique qualities and are good games. Some are paid some are free, some have cash prizes and some have trips and equipment prizing, etc... PGATOUR.com games are all free and offer pretty great TOUR prizes.

That said, based on what you are looking for, the PGATOUR.com game Salary Cap Cup will suit you very well. And if you'd like to check it out, the last week to play is the week of the TOUR Championship. I have included a link to the game below. Playing fantasy games really adds to my enjoyment of the TOUR ompetition. I get much more involved in the tournament and learn a lot about players beyond the top 25! I think our games have made me a better fan.

The game is a simple pick-5 with a salary cap. You set a line up weekly and compete weekly. We have weekly prizing and segment prizing. Check it out. I would also like to know what you think after you play.

And for the broader group, PGATOUR.com is launching a re-shuffled suite of games for the 2007 season. If you don't mind, I'll post when we have more detail on the site. And if you play currently, I'd like to know what you think of our games.

http://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/challenge

Enjoy!

- DM

D Mecchi

• Administrator
Fantasy Fantasy Fantasy

Well the year is up. I think we'll probably do the PGA Tour one next year...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would be happy to post when our PGATOUR.com games for 2007 go live. Lots of good stuff coming down the PGA TOUR Fantasy Golf pipeline. Improved games and new games are on the way.

Will have more detail as we finialize the games and launch some news -- around the middle of this month.

Cheers!

- dan

Can anyone let me know what the best fantasy golf league is to join for the pga tour?

Hey I have to disagree with most of the people posting that ESPN has the best. ESPN is decent, but I think Yahoo! has the best Fantasy Golf. I think it's easier to access stats, news, etc on it than ESPN. It's kind of a different format, making sure you follow each player you've selected each round (at least their scores) so you learn a lot about rounds/points.

Has anyone else played Yahoo's?
"Hit 'em hard - they'll land somewhere." - Stewart Maiden

In the Bag:

Driver: R480, 10.5*, Graphite5 Wood: R540 XD, 17.5*, GraphiteIrons: Big Bertha 4-10 + GW, SSWedge: 56*, Chrome, SSPutter: White HotBall: HX Hot

Hey I have to disagree with most of the people posting that ESPN has the best. ESPN is decent, but I think Yahoo! has the best Fantasy Golf. I think it's easier to access stats, news, etc on it than ESPN. It's kind of a different format, making sure you follow each player you've selected each round (at least their scores) so you learn a lot about rounds/points.

I do Yahoo fantasy leagues every year for NBA, MLB, NFL, and March Madness. I even did an NHL one this year just for the hell of it. I've never done a PGA Tour one though at Yahoo. I might try one next year to see how I like it. I usually have two or three different ones anyway, so it won't hurt to try a couple. I'm already used to updating my lineups every day for the other ones anyway, so it wouldn't be much of a change for me.

I'm really really looking forward to fantasy golf for next year!! it will generate even more interst for me in the tour, which i do follow very closely anyway!!!

yyeeaaahhhhhh cmmonnnn!!!

I think I won the league this year. Ended up ranked 599th for all of ESPN.

not bad for my first time I suppose.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

I think I won the league this year. Ended up ranked 599th for all of ESPN.

Nice job! Who wins those ESPN/Yahoo things? I think the highest I got was somewhere around 800, but I always wondered who actually wins those things? Anyone know a winner of Fantasy Golf (or heck, even football or basketball??)

What do they win?
"Hit 'em hard - they'll land somewhere." - Stewart Maiden

In the Bag:

Driver: R480, 10.5*, Graphite5 Wood: R540 XD, 17.5*, GraphiteIrons: Big Bertha 4-10 + GW, SSWedge: 56*, Chrome, SSPutter: White HotBall: HX Hot

Last year in my first segment ever on the ESPN Fantasy, I finished 6th overall! I was only five spots away from winning a trip to The Mercedes Championship, but obviously it didn't work out for me.

In any event, I haven't even gotten close to finishing that high since then, and that was about 6 or 7 segments ago. I believe I finished third in The Sand Trap league this segment behind Glad and Erik. I think so anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
I like the ESPN/Best Ball. The only problem I have with it is they sometimes put golfers in the pool that aren't playing in the tournament. It sucks to find out on Thursday that one of your guys is not playing.
I finished 20th in the world segment 2 last year. With 2 weeks to go I was in 4th overall eyeing that trip to Hawaii when Chris Dimarco missed a cut and screwed me. I saw him later at the Memorial and actually got his autograph after the round and was tempted to tell him how he cost me a trip to Hawaii but I let him off the hook.
It makes watching the event exciting!
Can't wait till next year. I haven't been worth a darn since my 20th place segment.
T-Bone Marshall
Home Course: www.waldenponds.com (74.1/134) 7001 yds
in my bag
Driver: Big Ben cs3 10.5 Stiff/Draw set up
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

Note: This thread is 6372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!