IGNORED

Anyone else here hunt?

nhwoj
Note: This thread is 3029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is our group from this year. Had a blast.  My unlce has a crazy cool carp boat.  The little guy is my boy.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by butt3r3dt0ast

Cute kid - looks like he's having fun!

Yeah he was given a mini-genesis bow.  Barely threw the arrow in the water, but he had a blast and was convinced he was going to get one.  Haha!  They are pretty tough to get, spook easily.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Do you use a specific bow for bow fishing, or just bolt on the reel? Been wanting to try bow fishing, but currently not rigged for it.

Tyler Martin

Back in the day I used to be a pretty avid hunter.  Deer, turkey, duck, goose, pheasant; I pretty much hunted it all, with gun, muzzleloader and bow.  I havent hunted in years though.  Its just not my thing anymore.  Something about killing things for the fun of it just doesnt seem right.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Back in the day I used to be a pretty avid hunter.  Deer, turkey, duck, goose, pheasant; I pretty much hunted it all, with gun, muzzleloader and bow.  I havent hunted in years though.  Its just not my thing anymore.  Something about killing things for the fun of it just doesnt seem right.

I don't kill for fun, I kill for food. I eat everything I kill.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

They dont have grocery stores where you live?

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Quote:

None that sell wild deer, duck, quail, pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, etc.

Tyler Martin

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the meat in the grocery store comes from animals that had to be killed too......

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Do you use a specific bow for bow fishing, or just bolt on the reel? Been wanting to try bow fishing, but currently not rigged for it.

My uncle had Mathew's genesis bows which are specifically made for fishing.  I am not sure if they sell them or not.  A souped up genesis really.

That is fine.  For others it is a pastime and just another way of enjoying the outdoors.  It is a very inexpensive way to get some food and we often donate a lot of it to people in need.  Also there are a constant threat of CWD and other diseases that would be huge problems here if it were not for hunting.  In Texas where we have also hunted the ranch has to take a certain number of deer off the ranch every year because of the threat of disease.

Exactly.

Nate

Originally Posted by cipher

Also there are a constant threat of CWD and other diseases that would be huge problems here if it were not for hunting.  In Texas where we have also hunted the ranch has to take a certain number of deer off the ranch every year because of the threat of disease.

This is a great point - A lot of people do not understand (or know about) the need for hunting when it comes to overpopulation and disease.

Some people don't like it, but me.. I love wild game, and fresh duck is my favorite. My family and I always eat what we kill.

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

• Administrator

Something about killing things for the fun of it just doesnt seem right.

I haven't met anyone I consider a true hunter that lists "killing things for fun" in their top ten reasons for hunting.

I used to hunt. We fed our family with the deer we would shoot, or the rabbits (mmmmm, rabbits and rice…), or the fish we'd catch.

As others said, hunting culls the herd so they can survive and not all starve to death.

Yes, hunting can be rewarding. Your patience, scouting, your accuracy after practicing for hours on end, etc. can all pay off. But "fun"? Please. That's not the right word for it at all. If anything, hunting has always struck me as a somber sort of activity.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Being out there enjoying the outdoors, watching deer, that is fun to me. Actually shooting one, not very fun at all. I have not taken a deer here in WI for about 4 years. I usually just watch them and enjoy being out there.. I will probably take one this year thorough as my family wants some venison. My kids love venison sticks. My boy is very sensitive about hunting and what taking a life means. I am keeping him from it for now. I used to really struggle with it until I befriended an older Native American man I used to work with. He put things in a great perspective for me of understanding why it should be participated in.
  • Upvote 1

Nate

If the bow has an insert for a stablizer right by the grip, you can bolt on the reel. You don't need more than a 35# recurve, so if you get a separate bow, get one lighter than you would use for hunting bigger game. My son is using a hickory self bow he made earlier this month, so we need a clamp on reel.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 2 months later...

Got my new creed!

Nate

Got my new creed!

Nice.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Got my new creed!

Nice bow man!

On a side note - I am taking off tomorrow evening for a nice long weekend trip to Canada for some duck huntin'! ... And some whiskey drinkin' :beer:

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

• 2 weeks later...

I had a great time this last weekend hunting with my son.  I did not expect to see much hunting with a 5 year old but he loved being there, got a little bored as expected in the stand, and I loved spending time with him.  He just got his first bow, a Mathews Mini-Genesis, here his is taking some of his first shots with it.  I put a whisker biscuit on it, for safety reasons.  ;)

Nate

Note: This thread is 3029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!