IGNORED

Online Videos - violation of Amateur status?

majorchamp
Note: This thread is 6647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have already submitted this question to the USGA regarding the possibility that my amateur status could be harmed.

On my future website (see sig), I plan on having a videos section where it shows me hitting some shots.

I might even talk about how to do certain things.

Now, lets say I plan on putting some decent high quality videos online. This would obviously cause a bandwidth situation.

The videos would be free, but I may charge a few bucks for access to the videos area to help pay for the server that would house the videos. So they would be paying me for space on my website, not for the videos, becaus as I said, the videos themselves would be free.

Technically, as an amateur, I could give lessons all day long as long as I don't receive any compensation for those lessons.

Now, the above is an something I might pursue.

But, that isn't word for word what I sent to the USGA because I had another idea.

What I sent to them was that I often film myself swinging. If I was to do this and offer the video for free, but charge the person a fee for the shipping and handling of the video, would that be against the rules?

Now, the USGA Amateur Status part of the website makes the mention of directly or indirectly receiving compensation for the lessons. So I don't know if digital rights playing into that or not.

As I said though, I am merely charging for the materials I have used to either

a. make room for the videos to be downloaded (server).
b. deal with packaging and sending off the dvd (shipping)

So the payment is for the materials, not my swing.

Get my drift?

Anyways, I am doing the right thing by asking around before pursuing this venue.

Thanks

• Administrator
It's a grey area. Even if the whole site was free, but you made money from advertising, it could be argued that you're profiting from your lessons.

That having been said, tips in text form even on "commercial" sites have never, to my knowledge, cost someone their amateur status. If it did, well, we'd all be in trouble .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wonder, though, if it would matter whether the advertisements (google/Adbrite) would fall on the actual page I am "giving a lesson".

If there is an advertisment on the individual entry pages, but no advertisement on the actual pages where my "lesson" description takes place, then maybe that wouldn't be in violation.

But your right, its kinda a gray area. If the USGA writes back and says, "no, we don't feel its in violation", then hopefully I would be good to go.

On another note, do you think having peoples swings on the website with no tips or lessons along with the images/video would be an issue.

Just swing images and swing photos, thats it. It could be user submitted to.

Then my lessons could be like yours, text only.

• 9 months later...
As long as your not a PGA certified teaching pro or trained professional instructor, then you would most likely fall under the area of exchanging ideas only. It is a grey area and to be honest, not worth the headaches and hassles that it could cause you in the future. To be non profit, you would have to show that in several ways. You would possibly want to have a .org website and ask for donations to help with expenses instead of charging shipping and handling. Please don't take this as I am being negative (and if you do I appologize in advance) but as many different instructional video's and such that flood the market now, how many hits do you plan on getting? Another factor is your only advertising would be word of mouth mostly as any advertising you would/could do would show it to be a business venture, aka professional status. Please keep us informed as to your progress and let me know so I can check out your site when it's up. Good luck and hope it works out for you if you venture in that direction.

Mike

Titleist 915 D-2 9,5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist 915H 18*

Mizuno MP-4 3-PW

Mizuno MP 54* & 60*

Yes Pippi Putter

Note: This thread is 6647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!