IGNORED

3 wood club head size

Haze
Note: This thread is 6351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking at purchasing a new 3 wood. The one I have now came from a starter set I bought from Wa-Mart. It is 210 cc. The 3 woods I have been looking at lately are in the 180-190 cc range. Would it be possible for me to lose distance by going to a smaller head or is the difference negligible? Or do y'all think I could possible pick up yardage because I will be swinging a better club?

Chances are a better club with a better head and shaft will give you more distance, but if your swing is very inconsisent then you may not get noticable results. But the size of the club has more to do with forgiveness, not length. Then again a larger club has a bigger theoretical sweet spot and the more you miss the sweet spot the more distance you lose.

That said, any quality club is going to be better in almost all aspects than anything from an inexpensive starter set. If possible, get yourself fit and even if you don't I am sure you will be pleased with your results once you get used to the new club.

That said, any quality club is going to be better in almost all aspects than anything from an inexpensive starter set. If possible, get yourself fit and even if you don't I am sure you will be pleased with your results once you get used to the new club.

If you are relatively new and still not playing in the 90s consistently getting a formal fiting on fairway woods is not as critical as a driver or irons. A demo club you hit well with a stock shaft in the correct flex is probably fine. If you slice the ball consider offset or draw models. Higher loft is also more forgiving.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Thanks for the input, guys. I really appreciate it. I am pretty consistent with my 3 wood. I usually hit it straight down the middle 9 out of 10 times. Lately I have been using my 3 wood instead of my driver because I feel more comfortable with it.

I used to have a rather large 3 wood (Precept EC Fuel) but I found it difficult to hit off the deck, light rough, and tighter lies (since it was too long back to front which caused too much sole ground interaction which slowed down my swing speed and did not enable me to gain too much air time) so I've gone to a Titleist 980F (shorter back to front and shallower face). Overall, difference off the tee is non-existent; difference off the deck though is very noticeable.

By the way, swinging a better club will not necessarily mean you're going to hit it further. Swinging a club that is better suited to your swing is more likely going to achieve better results.

I am looking at purchasing a new 3 wood. The one I have now came from a starter set I bought from Wa-Mart. It is 210 cc. The 3 woods I have been looking at lately are in the 180-190 cc range. Would it be possible for me to lose distance by going to a smaller head or is the difference negligible? Or do y'all think I could possible pick up yardage because I will be swinging a better club?

The size of the head on a three wood does not necessary equate to the distance of the shot.

When thinking about a three wood I would thing about the size of the head in relation to where you are going to use the club. If you are using the club mainly from the fairway you may be better with a smaller headed club , off the tee you may be better with a larger size. The main thing to think about when you purchase any club is the shaft, if you pick the right shaft you will get the extra distance. you need to get some advice in choosing the right shaft otherwise you may be throwing your money away on a club you cannot use. hope this helps and good luck.

Note: This thread is 6351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!