IGNORED

The Four Hour Body

shakogolfer78
Note: This thread is 4680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The newest book from Timothy Ferriss who is the author of the four hour workweek. This book is suppose to denounce that all previous trends are whack, give you superhuman abilities, mix the perfect concoction of supplements to burn off fat, and even help people perfect sleep. Tim has done over 10 years of tests on his own body and many other willing participants to prove some of his crazy ideas. Check out this site and watch the video and tell me what you think! The book came out today, and I have a feeling that he has some really interesting things that could help anyone with muscle gain, fat loss, or improved athletic performance. I gonna get it as soon as finals are over for me on the 16th and then I will reply with my review of the book.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...

I'd read some Amazon reviews myself and start off with the 1 star ones. There's definitely something suspicious about the reviews on there which seems to revolve around people adding 5 star reviews purely in order to win a competition. Lame. :(

How did you get on with it shakogolfer78?

I myself am pondering the idea of trying P90X this year when things at home settle more.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I bought the book (4HB) when it came out on Amazon.  I think even with shipping it was under $15 so I thought I'd give it a read.  First off this is just one guy's experiences.  I can believe a lot of the stuff he says is true, but it kind of strikes me as being a bit pointless.  I'm not going to start taking ice baths.  I'm not going to eat a pound of almonds a day.  I'm not going to rub on my wife's hooha for 30 minutes straight (as if she'd let me).  Now could doing the kind of stuff he outlines produce the results he claims?  I think so, but it kind of overlooks the other side of the equation.  The whole ideal of healthy and positive lifestyle changes is to do things that create those results but that you can also do easily and naturally.  As a middle aged guy I was intriguied by some of the author's claims regarding boosting testosterone and improved sex life (okay so I'm shallow), and as usual there really isn't anything there that's beneficial (IMO).  The way he outlines giving a woman a 30 minute orgasm pretty much works no matter what you do as long as the woman happens to be in to you and what the two of you are doing.  I can come home from work and offer the wife a 30 minute orgasm but if she's worn out and tired she's going to see that prospect as simply more work.  So while his technique may be great there is a lot more to giving a woman a 30 minute orgasm beyond mere technique.  The same goes for ice baths (where do you get all that ice?) and eating rediculous amounts of some particular foodstuff to get some particular result.

The book isn't a waste and is fairly interesting reading, but in the end I didn't pick up anything from the book that I'll incorporate into my own lifestyle.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Definitely do P90X. I did it last year (all 90 days) and it was awesome. It kicked my butt, but I lost a lot of fat that I didn't even know I had and I had a lot more energy in general. The trick is to take the first week really slow, almost half-assing it to be blunt, because if you go into it too hard you will quit after a week because of how sore you are...

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

I'd read some Amazon reviews myself and start off with the 1 star ones. There's definitely something suspicious about the reviews on there which seems to revolve around people adding 5 star reviews purely in order to win a competition. Lame. :(

How did you get on with it shakogolfer78?

I myself am pondering the idea of trying P90X this year when things at home settle more.

I think a 30-minute orgasm would be like a 6-1/2 hour round of golf. Yes, it's something you normally enjoy quite a lot. No, it just does not need to take that damn long to get it over with.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Noonan1

Definitely do P90X. I did it last year (all 90 days) and it was awesome. It kicked my butt, but I lost a lot of fat that I didn't even know I had and I had a lot more energy in general. The trick is to take the first week really slow, almost half-assing it to be blunt, because if you go into it too hard you will quit after a week because of how sore you are...

Excellent, thanks! Can I also ask how much jumping around there is on P90X? I only ask because I live in a flat with thin floors and grumpy neighbours. :(

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

• 3 months later...

To start off I haven't read this guy's book (only glanced at his website), but I would be suspicious.

I studied health and exercise for 4 years and have 2 fitness certification (1 post grad). I tell you this not to brag or "get on a high horse," but rather let you know I have an above average knowledge of how the body operates. I feel confident in the information I provide and hopefully I can help others sort through the crap that can be presented.

First, supplements are just that, supplemental to your normal dietary routine.  Quality, non-processed, nutrition properly timed throughout the day will help you increase your energy, improve your sleep and sex life, decrease fat, and more.

And by quality nutrition properly timed throughout the day,  I mean frequent small meals, consisting of a complex carbs, lean proteins, and good fats. Thats the abbreviated version.

Second, exercise can be efficient and effective at the same time. You don't need to be exercising for 90 minutes a day. You can easily get a great workout in only 45 minutes. Actually, studies show that our bodies begin a hormonal shift after about 45-50 minutes of good exercise. After that time frame, exercise can become detrimental, depending on intensity.

I can continue to ramble about other little things within both of those topics, but I that could be a long, long post.

Does anyone have any specific questions? I would love to help.

-Grant

• 4 weeks later...

It is a good book at all, here are some points from my side:

Slow Carb Diet - This one is based on several working concepts and it is a real good solution if you want to loose bodyfat. I can also recommend the book "The Warrior Diet" if you want to try something different or visit the website www.leangains.com if you like.

Kettlebell Swing - As a kettlebell coach this was nothing new for me. The swing is a great excercise and will really help to reduce fat and build some solid core muscles. Swinging longer than recommended in the book will helpt you to optimize endurance and conditioning, plus it could reduce your normal heartrate. I would have added some more kettlebell stuff inside the book, but this is a matter of taste.

The Strength and Muscel section: I rely on www.stronglifts.com ! This is a great strengthtraining programme that will work for a long time. Timothy's systems are based on a HIT-like approach that will work, too. To me a total matter of taste. Stronglifts might be a bit less stress for your mental toughness. Not anyone likes to work until failure.

Sleeping pattern imrovements - Sounds real good will tra that one soon!

Sex & Orgasm stuff - Hmmmm...

Ice baths and the pills and supplements stuff - Sound interesting, but I have not tried it at all!

Conclusion: Good book! You can love it, like me, or you can live without it and achieve the same results with other or similar concepts. One of the nice things is that there is already a community with people walking through the stuff inside the book: http://4hourpeople.com/

Note: This thread is 4680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!