IGNORED

Hey leaves me alone!

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 6383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yesterday I played with my usual group of guys I step up on the first tee (par 5) and hit a drive just a tad right of my target but still in great shape, I thought. We get up there its gone!!! Tons of leaves on the ground but no ball. We kicked the leaves around a bit but to no avail. So I start with a 7 on a easy opening par 5. Then I make 4 routine pars on the next 4 holes, get up on the Par 5 6th hole hit my ball down the fairway.....GONE AGAIN. The dang leaves ate 2 of my golf balls. I ended up shooting 74 with the two doubles. I hate leaves! And in my group there's no, "oh poor you just drop one". Nope you take your butt back to the tee box and you're hitting 3.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

do you know why this situation never happens to the pros???

BECAUSE THERE'S NEVER A FRIEKING PILE OF LEAVES IN THE FAIRWAY...

i too know your pain...nothing worst than donating a prov to the grounds crew for not doing their job....

we , john and i, play the leave rule...in the fairway in a pile of leaves free drop were we assume it would have been.....no penalty assessed for hitting good shots mate....thats just not right....but only in the fairway...off the beaten path sorry mate you shouldn't have hit it over there....but rather than return to retee on off the fairway leaf covered balls we just drop dead behind a tree and call it laying three hitting four...so par is definitely out of the question but if you work really hard you may escape with 7 and if you get lucky a 6.......on par fives.....

you should try it....no sense working yourself up over good shots...there's plenty of bad ones for that

This is exactly why I play links courses in the fall. No trees. Love the cool shade in the summer, but hate losing balls in the fall.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

do you know why this situation never happens to the pros???

It is not so much the leaves we play with because the pros have long grass. The difference is that they have ball spotters that mark the location of the ball, or let you know if you did hit it OB so you do not half to walk all the way back to the tee to be hitting 3.

That is the really difference.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I fell your pain, I was cursing and yelling this weekend.. samething happened, 2 brand new TP red eaten by those damn leaves..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

It is not so much the leaves we play with because the pros have long grass. The difference is that they have ball spotters that mark the location of the ball, or let you know if you did hit it OB so you do not half to walk all the way back to the tee to be hitting 3.

in my original post i said it only applies to fariway bound balls....not to many pros require spotters from the fairway....agree that if we had spotters we would be better off when we miss the fairway....

My home course is tree lined with mature trees on every hole. They have been dropping leaves like crazy. Fortunately, our greens crew has been mowing the leaves down every day for the last 2 weeks. At first it was rough, but now, the leaves have been mulched down to nothing and the pine needles have been carted off, so we can play almost normal golf again.

We did have a pretty spectacular fall display even though the predictions were that we wouldn't... not enough rain they said... Still, the lost balls are little to pay for the beauty.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

We play the game as per The Rules of Golf i.e. if you can't find your ball - back to the tee, or the position where you played your last shot from, taking a penalty. If not, then you get a DSQ and lose all bets...

Makes you think about taking out the driver when the 3 iron will do - course management over ego!

Hmmmm... I was just wondering about this recently. Leaves.

Wouldn't Rule 25, Abnormal Ground Condition apply? To be precise, Rule 25-1-c.
Additionally, Local Rules could also be applied to such conditions. IMHO.

Bag?
Titleist
975L-FE 8.5*
975F 14.5*
975F 18.5*DCI Gold 2-PW Vokey 200 60*Never CompromiseZ/1 Delta 2NXT Spheres

@Bill H

Rule 25-1-c can only be applied if there is "reasonable evidence to that effect", referring to a ball lost after having been struck toward an abnormal ground condition[/] is lost in such condition. This would include leaves only if they have been collected into a pile for removal (treated as GUR, in effect), i.e. not if they have naturally collected. "Reasonable Evidence" does not take into account doubtful evidence. The ball would have to have been seen to have rolled into the pile earmarked for removal, or else play under Rule 27-1 applies (Lost Ball).

Abnormal Ground conditions are also quite specific and are
defined as (and I don't like quoting - these are not my words, but a Definition in The Rules): an abnormal ground condition is any casual water, ground under repair or hole, cast or runway on the course made by a burrowing animal , a reptile or a bird. No mention of leaves (last phrase is mine tho!)

Obviously, this would only apply if the ball is "lost" and not found. If it has been found, "play it as it lies" applies, or take a penalty drop in terms of Rule 28.

Whew - that was long winded, but quicker than calling out John Paramor!

Obviously, if a Local Rule 33-8 (b) is applied, it cannot conflict with The Rules of Golf unless ratified by the R&A.;

Got an early round tomorrow morning at www.silvermere-golf.co.uk 08h42 UK time. Predicted weather up to 70mph winds.....no driver required!

Note: This thread is 6383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!