IGNORED

Recommendations - irons for $500 budget

Note: This thread is 4858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was gonna say to make sure you give the PINGs another chance-I think you'll be happier with them longer.

Originally Posted by erock9174

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdstaggs

I'm playing the G10 w/ AWT R shafts and really like them. Easy to hit and long. Played X-14s before - nice, but not as forgiving or as long as the PINGs.

I seem to hit the G10's fairly well, but for me, the TM 6i demo actually felt easier to hit than the Ping 7i demo.  Maybe being my handicap is around a 19/20 the extra forgiveness of the TM's work better for me.  But before I buy I want to give the Ping's one last chance.  And I want to compare apples to apples this time (6i vs 6i, instead of 7i vs 6i).  I am going to have the store tape up the Ping 6i this way I can compare 6i to 6i in both brands.  Maybe tomorrow I will come home with a new set of irons.

Ping G10's are a good choice.

Im bias though, I hate Taylormade stuff... over produced, over hyped, and dull. People play it based on the name, that's about it.

Look into getting some Adams A4's perhaps. Nice irons if you ask me.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

I actually bit the bullet and bought some TM Burner Plus irons.

I decided that I did not hit the Pings any better or worse than the Cobra S2max or Burner Plus irons, so I couldn't justify the $150 higher price tag for them.  Golf Galaxy put me on the launch monitor with the S2max and the Burner +.  With roughly the same swing speed (75mph) I ended up generating about 3 mph more ball speed and about 5 yards in distance with the TM's over the Cobras.  These were both with 7 irons with the same loft.  Also the dispersion rate from left to right was tighter with the TM's.  Not a huge difference though.  Just felt to me like the ball really came off the clubface hotter with the TM's. Ball felt alive, to where with the Cobras seemed to have a flat sound to it.

One thing to note, the TM's were 1/4" longer than both the Cobra and Ping standard length club.  Therefore instead of needing 1/2" off the club, they ended up taking off 3/4" for me.  I always thought you shaved length off the club based on your own personal feel.  I never knew they actually put a sticker on the face of the club and have you keep trying ones at different lengths until it hits squarely in the middle.  So that confirmed that I needed shorter clubs.  In the past I always took an inch off the club (never been fitted before) which according to them was a little too much for my height and swing.

Also -2 lie adjustment was necessary.  Golf Galaxy threw in a free lie adjustment since I had to wait on somebody to fit me.  So that was cool of them.

I can't wait for this weekend so I can pick them up and try them out at the range.  Downside is I can't blame ill fitting clubs anymore on my horrendous game.  haha

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Note: This thread is 4858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!