IGNORED

My Swing (MackJL06)

MackJL06
Note: This thread is 4658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey All,

Been playing for about 4 or 5 years now. Started taking lessons about a year ago, had about 15 lessons total with a golf coach at GolfTec. I highly recommend their services as their in-bay practice facilities serve as a very valuable alternative/substitute to range time...especially for those of us that have to deal with winters.

Dont have an official handicap, but of my 10 rounds played this year I shot 92, 90, then below 83 for the remaining rounds, lowest being a 79. Major flaw before GolfTec was flipping at impact and over-sliding of the hips. I know Iacas has an incredible thread on this as a valuable part of the golf swing, but i was doing it to an incredible extent, causing everything else in my swing to be behind and revolving around hands and Hand-Eye coordination.

Right now I am working on keeping my clubface closed (in relation to what i do by habit where i rotate my forearms on the backswing). keeping the hands "inside" and the clubface RickyFowler-esc ...i think this has been recently discussed in another swing video. Also working on keeping my right foot a bit more flat at impact...trying to "roll" instead of picking it up.

My stock shot is a push draw. I am very athletic and being a college student...i have more than enough time on my hands so feel free to challenge me mentally/physically....emotionally?

Thanks for all your help in advance. I have plenty of more swing videos captured, but unless requested, i dont want to overload the thread with videos right off the bat!

Thanks,

Mack

1. Extend your spine so you feel like your back is tilted towards the target when you're at the top.
  2. Your club is laid off at the top. You should try to bring the shaft back more vertically. It doesn't look like you're cocking you wrists straight up and down.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Agree with the Gill

Address:  Ball a bit too far back

Backswing:  The main thing is your upper torso.  You do a good job of keeping the hips forward, but your spine and upper torso flex and go backwards.  As a result your head shifts back and down in the backswing.  In the backswing, you want your spine to extend and tilt toward the target to keep your torso and head centered.

Clubhead goes in behind your hands too early (don't get your hands deep enough), your left hand and club shaft go overly flat, and you lose connection of the right arm to torso.  But these are secondary issues.  The primary issue is the spine flexion you need to get into extension.

Forward swing:  Really nice bump forward with the hips.  However, because your spine is in flexion you miss out on the dynamic extension to flexion then extension spine movement in the forward swing.  At impact and just after impact, your head actually goes forward a bit.  Thus, you aren't getting the maximum extension and leverage at impact and follow through.

Overall, you've got a good swing and you do somethings well (and might overdo a bit) that most people (myself included) find difficult (ex:  flat wrist at top of swing)   Work on extending more with your spine during the backswing and then fine tune the swing plane issues.

Here's a good video on spine extension/flexion in the swing

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• Administrator

Guys, consider that the club is not as laid off as it looks simply because it barely gets past 90 degrees let alone all the way to horizontal... Not cocking your wrists can make the club look "worse" than it is in reality, and we have a little bit of that going on here. Note completely by any stretch, but a little. mackjl06.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

thanks for the help so far guys!

feel kind of foolish though...after looking at the title of that video it says "After". Checked my notes and this was a swing over-emphasizing a drill to try and feel like im not releasing the club-as to not flip. Dont know how i could have missed that one...?

Will upload another one shortly, but most of the pieces are still there. I used to have an extremely long backswing...to the extent that you could see the clubhead on the other side of my body from the behind view...so i worked very hard to keep my power/distance while utilizing a shorter backswing, however it looks more and more like it results in being flat up top. Question here is what does that cause? It definitely isnt pretty but im just curious.

alwayssssss working on getting "deep hands" and have read the thread. every time i go to a lesson and take my original swing, thats what i watch for and i am alwayssssss "outside the box". my coach draws a 1/2 box above/connecting to the swing plain and he wants my hands through this box...still working on it. not natural feeling YET

• 6 months later...

sooooooooo its really been some time since i have updated on here. have gone down to a single-digit handicap since posting my original swing...yay me!

but i recently got a digital camera to do the slow-mo 240fps swing captures. i got the casio ex-fh100 and its pretty darn cool.

i have a couple videos posted below ----down the line and front view. could really use some advice/hints/tips.

went back and read the previous comments....i have alignment rods...can anyone point me in the direction of a drill i can use with those to simulate deep hands? somewhere i can place one vertically maybe so i have to go "inside" of it. is a late wrist hinge bad? i feel more "whippy" if i just stay loose and natural

• Administrator

Originally Posted by MackJL06

went back and read the previous comments....i have alignment rods...can anyone point me in the direction of a drill i can use with those to simulate deep hands? somewhere i can place one vertically maybe so i have to go "inside" of it. is a late wrist hinge bad? i feel more "whippy" if i just stay loose and natural

But... do you need to feel deep hands?

Quite honestly, I didn't watch your videos, because I loaded one up, saw you making sticks vibrate by throwing them against the ground, and closed the tab in my browser. Could you post two videos showing a single swing each with a 6I from the two views?

And then tell us what your problem(s) are right now: shot shape (how?), quality of contact, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok sorry for the videos before, guys.

My standard shot is a push-draw with misses being a block to the right. contact is pretty solid now-a-days and miss-hits might be a bit more towards the toe. divots are pointed right of my target line. i guess my main issue is consistency. i feel like my hip-bump is too severe sometimes which causes me to flip.

also, when i look at my swing i cringe at where my hands go on the backswing...but it feels natural. wondering if this is causing any problems or as long as it is consistent if it is an ok move. same with the late wrist hinge. any help would be appreciated.

Hands more in on the backswing (deep hands). Hold the flying wedge longer on the forward swing. Overall really nice. Take a look at Yani's changes from 2008 to 2011 on backswing--hands more in. 2008/09 [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-6rWEPG_Ls[/VIDEO] 2010/11 [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84p4MnrRs8E[/VIDEO]

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

There's the wall drill--it's posted on the "deep hands thread" From Dave Wezik Here is a good drill you can do at home to teach yourself what the correct depth (much better than "width") feels like: 1. Without a club - mimic set up with your back foot about 6-8" from a wall and have the foot (from heel to toe) parallel to the wall itself (i.e., if you had a club and were hitting a shot you will now look like you are hitting it directly away from the wall..not parallel to the wall) 2. Make a backswing with your front arm maintaining connection with your chest at the bicep (PP #4) and the hands moving inward (again no club...but hands in grip position pretending a club is there). 3. Now just be sure the lead arm keeps moving inward, backward and upward and "feels" as if it is moving parallel to the wall (not going straight back and running into the wall). The hands may brush the wall slightly but only very little...if set up 6-8" or so from the wall they should begin getting their inward depth just before the hands reach the wall or right as they "brush" it. The drill is done far enough when the lead arm reaches parallel to the ground (should be angled inward about 35-40 degrees or so in relation to the stance line). Dave you can also try the single arm drill [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cCA7hPRATo&feature;=feedu[/VIDEO]

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

Note: This thread is 4658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!