IGNORED

Got HDTV?

iacas
Note: This thread is 5718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you have HDTV? (see first post for clarification)

• Yes, I have HDTV programming.
    • Nope, no HDTV here.

I bought an HD TV a little over a year ago, but didn't have programming until about 4 months ago.

Wow. I have yet to see any golf in HD, but the football is spectacular!

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When is the golf channel going to get with it and start broadcasting in HD??

I've got HD...and a 55" Sony to watch it on...but watching golf in standard format is terrible...on a screen that size...I'd rather watch it on my 32" CRT!!!

C'mon Golf Channel!!!!

Driver: Titleist 905S/9.5/Fujikura Speeder Stiff
3W: Titleist 906FT
Irons: Ping i10/Red dot
Wedges: Cleveland CG12/54/60
Putter: Odyssey XG RossieBall: TaylorMade TP Red

My fiance's parents had it (HDTV and Programming) no one was much of a fan of it. A lot of it had to due with all the format issues that it had, they have a rear projection standard screen TV and a rear projection wide screen TV and every show had some sort of formatting bars (the black bars on the top and bottom) some even had black bars top and bottom and on the sides to make it a "square" format. For some reason the shows formated for wide screen would not fit them to the wide screen tv (it wouldn't put the picture from top to bottom on the screen) and when it was formatted for the traditional "square TV's" they would not be fitted to the square screened TV they had and turned a 52" TV into about a 37" TV when it was all said and done. Also the colors didn't look right, I'm sure it's better now but I went to a Colts game one weekend and then was watching it on TV the next weekend and flipping back and fourth between the HD broadcast and the non-HD broadcast and the non HD broadcast had the colors more accurate by an extreme ammount over the HD broadcast. So I will be rather sad if/when every one broadcasts in HD only.

I also bought a widescreen LCD TV that is obviously HDTV ready and had analog cable running to it and the picture was absolutley TERRIBLE. I let it go at first because I bought it pretty much for the sole purpose of watching movies and playing video games on it. So I decided to put a DVD in and was blown away by how poor the picture was, I gave it one more chance and put in a video game in my XBOX 360 and started playing (It was baseball) with very high expectations. This TV had an 8ms transfer time or what ever term they use and it was by far the most delayed TV I have ever played on and when you put this on top of the fact that the picture on my 15 year old rebuilt RCA tube was easily 5 times clearer I was more than just a little mad and extremely disappointed. I for one will never even consider an LCD TV again.

Just out of curiosity has anyone had a similar experience with LCD as I have or did I just get a lemon?

Zebra

Titleist 910 D2 10.5 Aldila RIP Phenom

Callaway RAZR fit 3 wood Avixcore 69 series

Mizuno MP650 19* hybrid

Scratch SB-1 DS 4-PW R+ C-Taper

Scratch 1018 DS 53 & 60

Low Tide Fin 

3UP 3F12

When is the golf channel going to get with it and start broadcasting in HD??

They have been. Comcast has a new HD network that splits time between The Golf Channel and Versus. You may already have it if you have Comcast.

• 2 weeks later...
I have HD on a 50'' and a 62'' TV. Love it.
In my bag
Driver: Burner 460 9.5°
Fairway: V-Steel 15°
Utility: Rescue Dual 16°, 22°
Irons: 755 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey 50°, SM 56°, SM 64°Putter: Newport 2 Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
Right before Christmas I treated myself to a new 56inch JVC 1080p HD. I'm in love. I watched the buick in HD 2 weeks ago and was just blown away. I dvr'd the event, I'll try and take a screenshot and put it up.

Screenshots never reveal very good quality. Even a 1080p image is only about 2 megapixels. TVs are meant to view a moving image.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
Yup. Finally broke down and got my HDTV. It's a 42 inch Panny Plasma - perfect for our small viewing area. I almost bought a Sony LCD but even with Sony's high quality, the Panny picture (especially in SD) was noticeably better. I've had no issues with burn in and couldn't be happier.

I have noticed though, that watching golf in HD on NBC is a mixed bag. Some camera angles have an absolutely perfect HD picture but when they switch to other cameras, the image appears to be ordinary SD. Does anyone else notice this? I don't notice this when watching other sports in HD but maybe the shear number of cameras required for a golf tournament means that some of them will be in SD??

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

I'm a bit of a videophile and I have a 72" Toshiba DLP (1080P) projection in the basement and a 52" Sony LCD (also 1080P) in the family room. Comcast service currently provides a decent selection and includes all Golf HD coverage, which is phenomenal. I will probably make the switch to DirecTV at some point as they will eventually offer far more HD programming options than any cable provider.
In the bag

909D3 8.5 Matrix Ozik XCon 7 X
Burner TP 14.5 Fujikura RE*AX SF TP 75 X
Idea Pro 20 RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour (2005) 4-PW RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour Chrome Wedges 50 and 54 RP Project X 5.5 X-Tour Vintage 60 w/ PM grind Teryllium Ten Newport 2 34" ProV1X

• Administrator
I have noticed though, that watching golf in HD on NBC is a mixed bag. Some camera angles have an absolutely perfect HD picture but when they switch to other cameras, the image appears to be ordinary SD. Does anyone else notice this? I don't notice this when watching other sports in HD but maybe the shear number of cameras required for a golf tournament means that some of them will be in SD??

Yeah, it's a combination of two things, as I understand it.

First, the number of cameras. Even an NFL game will only have about 20 cameras. In golf coverage, that number can sometimes triple. Second, the weight. The HD cameras are bigger and heavier, and thus tougher to lug around. On the NFL sidelines, that means the person carrying it only walks about 60 yards back and forth at the most. In a golf tournament, the camera guy may walk six or seven miles following Tiger around. Consequently, most carried camera signals are uprezzed SD, and most tower shots are in HD where the camera is mounted and stationary.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, it's a combination of two things, as I understand it.

Great explanation...I was wondering the same thing. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

Hi all, I work with GOLF CHANNEL, and wanted to make sure you were aware it may no longer be available on Charter after April 4. With so many PGA TOUR events on the network, we could miss it all! To voice your concerns, call Charter (888) 438-2427 and be heard!

No HD TV at the moment, but my mum just told me we are getting one for christmas this year, no idea on how big though, I'm just glad we are getting a HD, I've seen them in the shops. They look great. Can't wait to see golf on it.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

Leaving aside the brutal conditions at Augusta this past weekend, I want to report that I watched the Masters in HD this weekend and the CBS covereage was, in my opinion, spectacular. I don't think I saw a standard def picture from any angle. You could actually see the minute particles of dirt flying off the divots when the shot was made. The level of detail made it a truly beautiful show. It'll be a shame when we all get used to the fabulous picture quality.

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

Leaving aside the brutal conditions at Augusta this past weekend, I want to report that I watched the Masters in HD this weekend and the CBS covereage was, in my opinion, spectacular. I don't think I saw a standard def picture from any angle. You could actually see the minute particles of dirt flying off the divots when the shot was made. The level of detail made it a truly beautiful show. It'll be a shame when we all get used to the fabulous picture quality.

I concur....good job CBS. I also notice some NBC(not cbs) HD golf isn't producing sound....anyone else experienced this in a couple of the tourney's before the masters?

What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

The Masters was awesome in HD. 50 inch plasma FTW!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

YES - have it and LOVE it. I was unaware that HD service was required (in the Philadelphia area you need an HD cable box)...once I got it, watching football and golf on TV has never been better.

Camilo Vargas's pants never looked so blinding...

In my bag...
DRIVER: TaylorMade R5, 9.5
HYBRID: Halo 2i
IRONS: FTX
WEDGES: 52, 56, Izett 60PUTTER: Cameron Circa 62 #3

• 3 weeks later...
I get digital cable, and I could get the HD channels if I wanted, but there's no point. My TV is about 10 years old and weighs about 1,000lbs, and it's definitely not HD-capable. When my current TV dies, though, I'm going to shell out the bucks for one of those nice plasma's. Then, I'll move into the 21st century. Until then, I need to be content with fuzzy pictures.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Note: This thread is 5718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!