IGNORED

The best brand for Irons?

Note: This thread is 4366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. The best brand for Irons?

• Nike
    • Titleist
    • Callaway
    • Taylormade
    • Mizuno
    • Cobra
    • Cleveland
    • Other

I'm still trying to figure out which iron they make that "stays true to the forged blade market". Since the MP-33 they'd stayed true to what exactly? Don't get me wrong, I love my Mizunos, but compared to an MP-11, I see nothing in their current lineup that looks like a true blade.

Originally Posted by max power

Nobody makes their irons in the U.S. anymore, I don't know that Mizuno ever has.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMikey

I'm surprised PING is not mentioned, and the only option I can check is 'Other'.  So 'Other' and specifically 'PING' would be my choice.  Mainly because they have contributed so much to golf and they are probably the most copied company out there.

First to really bring CB and game improvement clubs to the market. (Not to argue someone might have come out with it first, but PING really introduced it to the masses.)

Fitting for players of all shapes and sizes.  The ping color code was one of the first to really make custom lie angles available to the masses.

The blade 'anser' style putter.  Now that the pattent has expired there are nothing but copies out there.  Even though so many modifications can be made to make that style putter something different and newer. (I.E. Scotty Cameron with the customized weights and milling process, TaylorMade with the white ghost series, Nike with the method putter and poly face... at the end of the day they are all based on a perimeter weighted design orginally thought up and brought to market by Karsten Solheim.

That's why I play ping and will continue to do so.  I like Mizuno as a close second because the Mfr. in the USA in my home state and they stay true to the forged blade market.  More than anything I like to see companies find, support and drive a cause they believe makes the golf world better.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If you don't like the thread don't post, I mean, c'mon, give the guy a break. You guys complain then bump the thing.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I really love my AP2's

That being said, the best irons for one person will not be the best for someone else. It really is a matter of personal preference.  Hit a bunch of different sets and let the feel and results speak for themselves. Don't get caught up on the name of the club.

Originally Posted by LBlack14

If you don't like the thread don't post, I mean, c'mon, give the guy a break. You guys complain then bump the thing.

Hey man, it's making senseless comments in a senseless thread that helps us let off steam after reading the meaningful controversial threads. Let us have at least one place where we get along. Sure it's at the expense of the OP, but nobody's started a new "average driving distance" thread in over a month.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by ronaldkuntoro

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

The reality is all of these companies make some really good irons... plus you left out quite a few (Ping, Hogan, Miura, MacGregor... I'm sure there is more)...

somehow Nike and Taylormade that really came to mind when I made this poll.   Both manufactures sponsor a lot of PGA Tour Players.  When I  Think Phil, Callaway came to mind.  Think Martin Kaymer, Taylormade popped up.   Anthony Kim is a Nike Player.  And a lot of Titleist players.

I wonder if any PGA Tour player uses MacGregror anymore.

Mac Gregor just made a comeback last spring. The company folded for a few years....I think it was that long. I don't remember seeing anything around tour that wasn't back in the day.

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 -- Diamana A'hina X
titleist.gif 909 F3 15.0 --  Matrix Ozik X-Con
titleist.gif 910 CB 4-PW -- Project X 6.0
cleveland.gif CG10 52, 56, 60.
cameron.gif   Studio Design 1.0   titleist.gif Pro V1    c2_beer.gif It's a Wisconsin thing.

I don't think any pro has played MacGregor since Greg Norman used 'em back in 2008, I'm pretty sure I saw him with the MT Pro-M set in his bag during the British Open.  The MacGregor MT Pro-CMs are my main set, arrived after much trial and error, and there isn't a commercially available set of irons that would knock them permanently out of my bag (not saying I wouldn't take some Miura blades and put 'em in rotation).  Anyway, a company with a great history, the Don White designed MT Pro irons and DW wedges are considered by many to be some of the best MacGregor ever produced.  I've looked at MacGregor's current stuff at Golfsmith and it looks solid, just didn't see any pure blades like the MT Pros.

Originally Posted by BDMplayer910

Quote:

Quote:

The reality is all of these companies make some really good irons... plus you left out quite a few (Ping, Hogan, Miura, MacGregor... I'm sure there is more)...

somehow Nike and Taylormade that really came to mind when I made this poll.   Both manufactures sponsor a lot of PGA Tour Players.  When I  Think Phil, Callaway came to mind.  Think Martin Kaymer, Taylormade popped up.   Anthony Kim is a Nike Player.  And a lot of Titleist players.

I wonder if any PGA Tour player uses MacGregror anymore.

Mac Gregor just made a comeback last spring. The company folded for a few years....I think it was that long. I don't remember seeing anything around tour that wasn't back in the day.

I got a new Question for this Poll?

Which brand of FORGED irons feels the softest???   Anyone has experience with different brands?

Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

Which brand of FORGED irons feels the softest???   Anyone has experience with different brands?

Why just "FORGED"? Many cast clubs can feel just as soft as a forged.  Many people playing Pings would probably agree with that. As stated many times on here forged is merely a process and most people cant tell the difference.

But to answer your question, I love the feel of Mizuno's but I am not sure how much that has to do with the forging vs. quality of work and club head design.

Originally Posted by tws1098

Quote:

Why just "FORGED"? Many cast clubs can feel just as soft as a forged.  Many people playing Pings would probably agree with that. As stated many times on here forged is merely a process and most people cant tell the difference.

But to answer your question, I love the feel of Mizuno's but I am not sure how much that has to do with the forging vs. quality of work and club head design.

No offense to owners of soft feeling cast clubs, but there typically some technology involved in the form of vibration dampeners. Even new Mizunos have this feature. A truly valid comparison would be between cast blades and forged blades. Most cast blades I've hit feel like garbage and most forged ones don't. To get a real cast blade that has no added vibration dampeners one has to get something older that was directed at the mass market consumers like Wright & Ditson, Spalding, Burkes, or something like a TaylorMade ICW which looks like a Wilson Staff and feels like a rock lashed to a piece of rebar.

Oh god... here we go...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Oh god... here we go...

I hear you, especially coming from someone who insults others who try to give him advice. He's not even looking for clubs, this thread is useless.

How about instead of asking questions which you only ask out of boredom or curiosity, you actually go out and try them yourself!

BLABLABLA

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 -- Diamana A'hina X
titleist.gif 909 F3 15.0 --  Matrix Ozik X-Con
titleist.gif 910 CB 4-PW -- Project X 6.0
cleveland.gif CG10 52, 56, 60.
cameron.gif   Studio Design 1.0   titleist.gif Pro V1    c2_beer.gif It's a Wisconsin thing.

What color shirt is best?  What is the best brand of shoes?  New poll-crunchy or smooth peanut butter?

Dark brown (hides sweat and doesn't attract insects), Bostonian, neither - all natural without any of the peanut oil removed (replaced by second grade artery clogging oils) and no salt or sugar added.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

What color shirt is best?  What is the best brand of shoes?  New poll-crunchy or smooth peanut butter?

Dark brown (hides sweat and doesn't attract insects), Bostonian, neither - all natural without any of the peanut oil removed (replaced by second grade artery clogging oils) and no salt or sugar added.

See now this thread is going somewhere...Brown doesn't attract insects? never heard that, interesting.  I enjoy puma training shoes. And I agree the natural pb is the way to go.

I voted Mizuno as best iron overall but I've got sets of Callaways right now.  Times being what they are, I went with the best deals I could on 2 used iron sets via ebay (will be paring it down to 1 set prior to spring).  After hitting the Callaway X16 Pro Series & the X Tour Forged, I'm fine with where I'm at.  But, if I could pick any set of irons I wanted, regardless of price, I'm pretty sure I'd end up with a set of Mizuno's.  I hit the MX15's before I took my golf "respite" the past 4 years.  Loved those clubs - long, solid, forgiving.  Sold them regrettably.  Anyway....

l Driver l Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS Tour Driver 9.5*
l Hybrid l Ping G-15 Hybrid Iron 17.5*
l Irons l Callaway X Tour 4-PW
l Wedges l Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG+ 54* & 60* - Odyssey Marxman Chipper 37*
l Putter l Odyssey White Hot Tour #9 l Balls l Srixon AD333

I don't know, I like having more than 1 set of irons.  And the X16 Pro and X Tour Forged and 2 of the best Callaway iron sets.

Not that I don't like Mizunos.

Originally Posted by jeetaa6

I voted Mizuno as best iron overall but I've got sets of Callaways right now.  Times being what they are, I went with the best deals I could on 2 used iron sets via ebay (will be paring it down to 1 set prior to spring).  After hitting the Callaway X16 Pro Series & the X Tour Forged, I'm fine with where I'm at.  But, if I could pick any set of irons I wanted, regardless of price, I'm pretty sure I'd end up with a set of Mizuno's.  I hit the MX15's before I took my golf "respite" the past 4 years.  Loved those clubs - long, solid, forgiving.  Sold them regrettably.  Anyway....

Note: This thread is 4366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!