IGNORED

Myrtle Beach in July

Note: This thread is 4623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hate to be redundant, but I'm gonna start a new thread anyway. I'm heading down to Myrtle for the first time ever in early July. It's a family vacation with some friends, but me, my buddy, and his father in law will probably break away for up to 3 rounds.  The only definite is we will be playing Barefoot Fazio or Love. I need suggestions for two more, other than Caledonia or True Blue. Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------
taylormade.gif R7 Limited 10.5*
taylormade.gif V Steel 15*
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual Hybrid 19*
taylormade.gif Burner 08 Hybrid 22*cleveland.gif CG4 4-PWvokey.gif 52*, SM 56*cameron.gif 35" Studio Select Newport 2

Given, and I've done that.  Recently there have been a couple good threads, but some of the better ones date back to 2008 as a start date.  Things have obviously changed since then, and with the rough summer and wet winter, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for some recent suggestions.  To me, a large majority seem pretty spectacular.  And since I don't have a set itinerary, I can't really ask for proper feedback on the courses I've selected.

I was hoping someone would be able to give me some honest suggestions since I don't know anything down there (if you go by pictures alone they all look nice); maybe offer a unique perspective, preferences, or some definite advice on courses to avoid.

taylormade.gif Burner 08 Hybrid 22*cleveland.gif CG4 4-PWvokey.gif 52*, SM 56*cameron.gif 35" Studio Select Newport 2

depends where you want to play, where you are staying and how much you want to travel. off the top of my head courses i have played

down south - TPC is the best of these 3 but Paulies plantation and Heritage are good. Heritage was a little rundown for a while and we dropped them off the list but i am told standards are back to normal. great visual course on old plantation.

Center - kings North is the big dog for my money, Dunes club very good and world tour is solid, if you go there be sure to request the International 9 it is the best of the 3 sets and gets the least play.

North - Oyster bay, tidewater are both very good, i prefer tidewater but neither will disappoint you.

i am told lepards chase and tiger eye are both good but i haven't gotten to them yet.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Thx for the great info! We're staying at the Carribean Resort, which I assume is Center. We'll probably try to keep travel times at a minimum, but you never know.

I was ther last July and will be there again this july, if I  had to pick 2 more courses to round out the trip it would be The Dunes and TPC Myrtle. Trust me you WON'T be disappointed. I could go on and on about the courses down there, but from what you said, these should be your choices.

Thanks, both of those look outstanding.  I do have a question about three different courses that have piqued my interest as well.  Does anyone have any experience with the following: Legends Heathland, Moorland, and Prestwick.  All those seem very aesthetically pleasing, and I'm a sucker for links style layouts.

Originally Posted by villegolfer

Thanks, both of those look outstanding.  I do have a question about three different courses that have piqued my interest as well.  Does anyone have any experience with the following: Legends Heathland, Moorland, and Prestwick.  All those seem very aesthetically pleasing, and I'm a sucker for links style layouts.

Heathland and Moreland i have played. nothing special about either one. I have Prestwick scheuled for this years trip the end of april but i haven't played it yet. it was spoken well of by guy i booked the trip with.

3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Lefty and Judge, thanks again for the insight.  I can hardly wait to get down there.  I'm interested to hear what you guys think about Prestwick after playing.  I don't know if you've been to the website, but the chirping birds and etherial background music kind of cracks me up.  Course looks great though.

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

North - Oyster bay, tidewater are both very good, i prefer tidewater but neither will disappoint you.

I've never played Tidewater, but I respectfully disagree about Oyster Bay.  It's the worst course I've played in Myrtle Beach, in my opinion.  Last year I was on a trip there with 7 other guys.  Handicaps ranging from 4 - 40.  We all thought it was the worst of the 5 courses we played.

Just a tip - call the courses you're going to play and ask what kind of shape they're in and ask specific questions.  I played Tiger's Eye (part of the Big Cats) last year.  When I got there, I found out they had lost their greens.  They were the worst greens I've EVER played on - including winter greens.  They were nothing but dirt in most spots.  I was so disappointed.. of course they didn't bother to tell me that when I made the tee time.  The starter didn't even mention it.  You just found out when you got to the first green!

As others have said, TPC Myrtle is outstanding. You can't go wrong there! Heritage club is very nice, too. I played both last year. Another one that I personally like is Shaftesbury Glen. Not too far from the central MB area either. Always is terrific condition. I played Oyster Bay in November and it was in very good condition as well.

Have a great time, and honestly, you really can't go wrong in MB!!! Enjoy it!

--- Rebel Golfer ---

I think we'll be booking in the next couple weeks.  Right now we are targeting Barefoot Love and TPC as 2 of our 3.  I'm assuming these two are pretty different.

• 4 months later...

Headed down next week with the wife and in laws and I'm bringing the clubs along with to try and sneak a round or two in.  Going to have to play it by ear, but thanks for starting this thread and for all the info.  Hopefully there will be an open tee time or two on late notice.

S9-1 10.5 Driver
S9-1 3 Wood
FT Hybrid 18 degree
X-14 Pro Series 3-PW
54.10 and 60.4 wedges Whitehot XG #9 Putter

Originally Posted by villegolfer

Lefty and Judge, thanks again for the insight.  I can hardly wait to get down there.  I'm interested to hear what you guys think about Prestwick after playing.  I don't know if you've been to the website, but the chirping birds and etherial background music kind of cracks me up.  Course looks great though.

liked it a whole lot...as in it was already added to the rotation for next april. Front 9 is your typical good golf course with fast fairways and very fast greens. Some very nice holes and some soso. Then you hit number 9, par 5, lake on left the whole way, lake wrapped around left part of the green and a bunker of death behind the green. LOL i thought we were gonna lose a buddy of mine in that damn thing! The back 9 is better with several very real elevation changes, several ponds that come into play and an old canal or some kind the winds its way through 16 and 17.

all in all a very nice course, this is not an easy course to play, the greens are fast and firm...liked it very much.

3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

The best deal I found on a better than average course last winter was at The Witch - unfortunately, we got rained out so I didn't get to play ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've played all of the courses mentioned on this thread several times. TPC is nice but not  in my top five favorites. I'm suprised by the negative comments about Oyster Bay, Tigers Eye and the Legends courses.  My only complaint about the Legends is the slow pace of play beacuse they are crowded. But I think the layouts are terrfific, particularly the Moorland and Heathland courses.

If you are already set to play at Barefoot, I would suggest you play all of your rounds there. The Fazio, Love and Dye courses are all worth playing. The Dye is under  appreciated IMO.

If you are looking to play elsewhere, I highly recommend the Dunes Club.

Prestwick is also worth playing. It has a wide variety of holes.

A nice set of courses close to Barefoot that has not been mentioned are the two courses at Grande Dunes.

Here are links to photos of the courses mentioned in this thread:

http://sports.webshots.com/album/579929091bMBhQR - The Dunes Club

http://sports.webshots.com/album/579929363toaSyb - Barefoot Dye

http://sports.webshots.com/album/579936865HFFysQ TPC of MB

http://sports.webshots.com/album/579932561zdfHun - Heritage

http://sports.webshots.com/album/576993989KVzOhh - Grande Dunes (Memebrs and Resort Courses)

http://sports.webshots.com/album/569810167XSKWDw - Prestwick

http://sports.webshots.com/album/570513900QVSgqT?start=24 -Barefoot Fazio

http://sports.webshots.com/album/570513900QVSgqT?start=84 - Legends Moorland & Heathland

http://sports.webshots.com/album/562767212CyJfgZ - Barefoot Love, Oyster Bay, Tigers Eye, Leopards Chase

http://sports.webshots.com/album/577006994exOuRE - Tidewater

Note: This thread is 4623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!