IGNORED

fairwaywood vs hybrid

bigbear43
Note: This thread is 4813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am assembling a set of clubs and am contemplating fairwaywoods over hybrids. Basically I will have a driver nd a 3 wood but am torn between getting a 5 wood or a hybrid with the same loft. any thoughts or comments

thanks

It all comes down to what you can play the best. I would suspect that you would play a hybrid better since it has a shorter shaft and should be hit like an iron.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

You might want to think about a driver, 4 wood, and hybrid. I find a 4 wood to be just as long as any of my 3 woods and the hybrid bridges the gap to my irons very well.

« Keith »

I am using Driver, 2 Rescue (17*) and 5 Rescue (25*). This combo works well for me.

Bag: SunMountain KG:3 Cart Bag
Driver: Titleist 913 D3

Fairway: Nike VR_S Covert Tour 3

Hybrid: Nike VR_S Covert 3
Wedges: 51° ,55°, 59° Trusty Rusty

Irons: Adams CMB
Putter: TM Ghost Spider

Glove: LeviTee Golf Glove

Shoe: True LinksWear Sensei, Proto

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Test them out and see which works best. Things to consider:

• If the 5W and the H have the same loft, chances are the 5W will go farther because of the longer shaft.
  • Also, if you make contact toward the toe or heel, the bulge and roll in the 5W face will tend to spin the ball back toward center. H has minimal B&R.;

Not sure about the "gnarly lie in rough" issue. Hybrid likely has a smaller head, less resistance... BUT,  5W would have Center of Gravity deeper in clubhead, increasing initial lift out of rough.

Again, test them out and see which works best. You're the one who has to play it.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Being 56, I'm playing old man's golf. ;)  I only carry 3 wedges so I have room for 3 woods and 2 hybrids. Works for me.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Note: This thread is 4813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!