IGNORED

New to Sandtrap (Florida)

LaMaR-
Note: This thread is 4905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone, My name is Jon and I live in Jacksonville, Florida. Just joined this site to try to get some help with my golf game and improve as much as possible. A little about myself. I am 23 and I am Active duty US Navy.

My grandfather taught me to play golf when I was younger probably 13/14 years old and I played all through High School and took a couple years off when I joined the military in April 2008. This past year a good friend of mine asked me if I played and of course I took the chance to get back onto the course. My friend did decide to point out that im still using a old set of blades lol. My grandfather passed them down to me and ive always hit them clean so ive never really thought of upgrading.

Well fast forward to now, I am getting ready to upgrade, I did a little research and hit a few different clubs and I have decided to go and get fitted for a set of Taylormade Burner 2.0's. Not sure what drivers to get yet if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

GAME PLAY.

My game play has been on and off over the past few months. One hole I will kill the drive with a slight fade around 280yards. The next will be a horrible hook. Im really not sure what I am doing but im trying to fix it one thing at a time. My iron shots are usually nice and clean, I tend to float the ball higher then most guys I play with and still get the same distance. I.E. Everyone will hit a 6 or 5 iron, I will pull a 7, hit it high and still just as far. IDK If maybe my club head speed is just really fast and I cant control it or what.

My putting game isnt too bad usually tend to 2putt every hole. Thanks grandpa lol

Pitch and chipping is thet thing I am currently working on. Ive started using my Sandwedge outside of the sandtrap. Trying to zero in the distance I hit it and become better with it.

So thats all about me sorry about the long read but hey now you know me..

Thanks

Mande

Today I went and ordered my new irons. Deffinetly can not wait to get these in. I ordered the Taylormade Burner 2.0's. I got measured they did some figuring out for my swing and a few other things.

What we came up with was a set 5-pw with sw and gw, I guess with my iron clubspeed at 94mph I need a stiff shaft so we upgraded the shafts. I cant remember what they were but I will update when they come in along with photos. Also to get them even stiffer we are putting the shafts 1up from normal meaning 6iron has a 7iron shaft, 7 has a 8 so on and so on.

So deffinetly excited and now I just need to figure out which driver I want. Probably the R11. Anyone know somewhere to get a decent price on one?

Thanks

Mande

Originally Posted by LaMaR-

Today I went and ordered my new irons. Deffinetly can not wait to get these in. I ordered the Taylormade Burner 2.0's. I got measured they did some figuring out for my swing and a few other things.

What we came up with was a set 5-pw with sw and gw, I guess with my iron clubspeed at 94mph I need a stiff shaft so we upgraded the shafts. I cant remember what they were but I will update when they come in along with photos. Also to get them even stiffer we are putting the shafts 1up from normal meaning 6iron has a 7iron shaft, 7 has a 8 so on and so on.

So deffinetly excited and now I just need to figure out which driver I want. Probably the R11. Anyone know somewhere to get a decent price on one?

Thanks

Mande

Hey, welcome to the board, and congrats on the new irons.  In my opinion, the 2.0s were when TaylorMade finally achieved what they were trying to do.  The previous offerings were worse than many blades in terms of playability.

By the way, the thing you're describing with a shaft is called hard-stepping.  It makes your shafts play a third of a flex (or so) stiffer.  The next fractional up would be to take X-stiff and soft step them (7-iron shaft into 8-iron).  It's a very cool way to give you a much closer match than the old "R or S?" stepping.

As for drivers, if you like the TaylorMade one, go for it.  I'm not a big fan of their clubs, but there are many people (including one of my best friends) who swear by them.  Then again, I like Nike, and there are plenty of people who don't trust them.

As for a decent price... if you're custom ordering, they're more or less going to be the same price from any authorized retailer (and from other ones, you risk fake ones).  While with the iron choice I definitely advocate this year's model (as you've done), with a driver, I think you should be fine with the R9 (a previous model).  Hit a few variations on the launch monitor and see which you hit best, and you'll probably pay about a third of the R11 price.  Nice thing about TaylorMade:  if the driver is the newest, and you want it, wait a few weeks and a newer one will come out.

Assuming your CHS goes through your clubs, you probably want something about 6.0 in your driver shafts.  Consider hitting a Nike Victory Red driver;  one of the standard shaft options is Project X 6.0, which may be more to your liking, flex-wise.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congrats on the new irons. The R9/R11 is a tricky situation, because everybody likes having the newest things, but the only real changes are the color and the extra layer of adjustability that most people never touch. But hey, go with whatever you hit the best, that way you know you won't be sorry.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!