IGNORED

Bubba says Tiger is going the "wrong way"

SpacklersEdge
Note: This thread is 4734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger to Bubba: "Win a major. Or two. Or 14. Then we'll talk."

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

Tiger to Bubba: "Win a major. Or two. Or 14. Then we'll talk."

You seem pretty critical of, well, everything. How many PGA Tour events have you won?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

You seem pretty critical of, well, everything. How many PGA Tour events have you won?

And you're the King of Snark.

To answer your question: enough to know that Bubba should worry about himself and not Tiger, which is the only point I'm making. I'm not commenting on Tiger's swing, Bubba's game, etc. - I'm just sayin' Bubba shouldn't either. That the only person who is really capable of understanding Tiger is Tiger and maybe Jack, Henny Bogan, and a few others.

Snark snark. Lighten up. Have a beer.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

And you're the King of Snark.

To answer your question: enough to know that Bubba should worry about himself and not Tiger, which is the only point I'm making. I'm not commenting on Tiger's swing, Bubba's game, etc. - I'm just sayin' Bubba shouldn't either. That the only person who is really capable of understanding Tiger is Tiger and maybe Jack, Henny Bogan, and a few others.

Snark snark. Lighten up. Have a beer.

Hey I was on board with Watson having a big glass of shut up right from the start, but I also don't think someone has to be a professional to comment on an athlete's career and career decisions.

I ALSO think the best comebacks are always related to championships won - e.g. Patrick Roy telling the reporters he hadn't heard Jermey Roenick's comments because his ears were plugged with Stanley Cup rings (Roenick never did win a Cup).

For everyone!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Tiger has always been a very technical guy, he is doing nothing different then he has done his whole career. He just isn't playing to his potential so everyone is just trying to find a reason why. Let me see he has just gotten divorced, his personal life is now in the open and he has just totally reconstructed his swing,i think that is the reason. His issue is trusting himself and feeling confident over the ball. For all of us golfers we know the importance of really feeling good over the ball and commiting to the shot that you have chosen. He will get it soon then all of these questions will all be on the back burner.

It always interests me when a player with no majors, no instructor, and few wins believes he's qualified to speculate on where another player is with their swing changes. If memory serves, Tiger played pretty darn well at Augusta, and Bubba, well, he finished 11 shots behind Tiger and 15 shots off the lead. Perhaps Bubba should spend more time preparing for majors and less time worrying about Tiger. Just saying.

Originally Posted by henniebogan1966

It always interests me when a player with no majors, no instructor, and few wins believes he's qualified to speculate on where another player is with their swing changes. If memory serves, Tiger played pretty darn well at Augusta, and Bubba, well, he finished 11 shots behind Tiger and 15 shots off the lead. Perhaps Bubba should spend more time preparing for majors and less time worrying about Tiger. Just saying.

Maybe Bubba was "just saying".  Just saying.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

To me Tiger's best attribute has always been his mental game. He hit the biggest shots of his career the same way he hit the most routine and that is what made him great. Only he can attest to what goes through his head before each stroke but that ability to remain consistent with his play style and routines even when they are not working and bounce back like nothing bad has ever happened to him doesn't appear to be there anymore. He was always and still is a very good golfer he just now appears to me at least unable to rise above the pack of other very good golfers out there with that tenacious attacking always confident attitude that had been his trademark.

As for the remarks from Bubba Watson, everyone is entitled to an opinion and he didn't go up and offer Tiger advice to his face. In all likelihood he was asked a question and he answered with his true opinion and I dont see anything wrong with that. He could be right, he could be wrong but everyone is entitled to an opinion. The only real difference here is no one at the golf channel gives a hoot what I or anyone else who isn't somewhat famous thinks. Can we really fault a guy for having an opinion on something just because he happens to be someone slightly famous?

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Maybe Bubba was "just saying".  Just saying.

Perhaps he was.  But were I advising him in any capacity, or were I the player being questioned, I'd simply state that I'm focused on my own game, this tournament, the sponsors and fans, and my thoughts on my chances to win. Instead, whether prompted or not, some of these guys just can't help themselves but to make some negative comment about Tiger.  My guess is they've spent so much time getting spanked by him over the years, that it makes them feel good to have 'one up' on him so to speak, so each of those who do so, love to take advantage of the role reversals in a sense.

Best thing they can all do is to avoid it altogether, focus on their own games, and start winning.

Perhaps he was.  But were I advising him in any capacity, or were I the player being questioned, I'd simply state that I'm focused on my own game, this tournament, the sponsors and fans, and my thoughts on my chances to win. Instead, whether prompted or not, some of these guys just can't help themselves but to make some negative comment about Tiger.  My guess is they've spent so much time getting spanked by him over the years, that it makes them feel good to have 'one up' on him so to speak, so each of those who do so, love to take advantage of the role reversals in a sense.

Best thing they can all do is to avoid it altogether, focus on their own games, and start winning.

The impression I have of Bubba Watson is that advising him would be like politely asking your child to please get off the helicopter ride at the mall. To keep him from commenting on Tiger's game (a player he surely and truly respects and admires) would probably involve duct tape.

First off let me tell you the power of editing Watson certainly said “I’ll just go ahead and say it. I think Tiger’s going the wrong way, I think he’s so mental right now with his swing. Just go ahead and play golf. He used to hit shots, he used to bomb it, he used to do all that stuff." But he could have followed this by saying something like "Hes not doing that anymore and I really think if he got back to just playing he could be the number 1 again. Hes still got his game he just needs the time to find it and I really think hes got a shot at being the best in the world again." Then some smart editor over at the golf channel lopped off all the compliments and praise and completely changed the way Watson words are interpreted. In doing so he got all the Tiger haters and Tiger Lovers alike to lite up their twitter pages, Blogs, Facebook Statuses and favorite forum sites with links to this article saying "Look what Bubba Said!" and made himself a bunch of money... we will never know but it is my practice to try to never interpret a quote unless I'm given context or a block quoted interview.

Second the art of dodging a question while making the reporter feel like you actually answered it is one mastered by few pro athletes. Most either dodge the question blatantly then get berated by people like you and I as question dodgers afraid to say what they really think or state their opinion and then get berated by people like you and I for not dodging the question. Either way it is silly to debate over out of context highly editorialized quotes when we may never know what they actually mean.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Originally Posted by LankyLefty

First off let me tell you the power of editing Watson certainly said “I’ll just go ahead and say it. I think Tiger’s going the wrong way, I think he’s so mental right now with his swing. Just go ahead and play golf. He used to hit shots, he used to bomb it, he used to do all that stuff." But he could have followed this by saying something like "Hes not doing that anymore and I really think if he got back to just playing he could be the number 1 again. Hes still got his game he just needs the time to find it and I really think hes got a shot at being the best in the world again." Then some smart editor over at the golf channel lopped off all the compliments and praise and completely changed the way Watson words are interpreted. In doing so he got all the Tiger haters and Tiger Lovers alike to lite up their twitter pages, Blogs, Facebook Statuses and favorite forum sites with links to this article saying "Look what Bubba Said!" and made himself a bunch of money... we will never know but it is my practice to try to never interpret a quote unless I'm given context or a block quoted interview.

Second the art of dodging a question while making the reporter feel like you actually answered it is one mastered by few pro athletes. Most either dodge the question blatantly then get berated by people like you and I as question dodgers afraid to say what they really think or state their opinion and then get berated by people like you and I for not dodging the question. Either way it is silly to debate over out of context highly editorialized quotes when we may never know what they actually mean.

Clearly he was offering his unvarnished opinion of Tiger and as I understand it, unprompted by the media. When a player makes the choice to make comments, he is going to suffer the criticism when his own record is brought up if his choice is to tell people what HE thinks is wrong with Tiger.

Clearly he was offering his unvarnished opinion of Tiger and as I understand it, unprompted by the media. When a player makes the choice to make comments, he is going to suffer the criticism when his own record is brought up if his choice is to tell people what HE thinks is wrong with Tiger.

The article says nothing about how the quote was obtained, in what context it was given, or what, if any, question was asked to illicit that response. So "Clearly" no one knows how "unvarnished" that opinion was or how "unprompted" it was although it is clear that is how the article's author presented it, it is not clear how it was actually intended.

Originally Posted by LankyLefty

The article says nothing about how the quote was obtained, in what context it was given, or what, if any, question was asked to illicit that response. So "Clearly" no one knows how "unvarnished" that opinion was or how "unprompted" it was although it is clear that is how the article's author presented it, it is not clear how it was actually intended.

Defend him all you like, Bubba Watson said what he said. Let him live with the consequences of his words, should there be any in the future. For now, he has no majors, no instructor, and as far as we know, isn't going thru any swing changes. So, Bubba really has no clue what he's talking about.

Defend him all you like, Bubba Watson said what he said. Let him live with the consequences of his words, should there be any in the future. For now, he has no majors, no instructor, and as far as we know, isn't going thru any swing changes. So, Bubba really has no clue what he's talking about.

Do you watch the Tour regularly? Bubba goes through swing changes mid-swing.

• Upvote 1

Exactly my point by saying he was probably "Just Saying".  There is no defense for him, he is Bubba and he is the first one to admit that.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Bubba both likes and respects Tiger a great deal......In my humble opinion, deep down Bubba is trying to tell Tiger something to help him....

The rest of the guys are taking digs at Tiger (i.e., not scared of Tiger anymore).....not the same vibe with Bubba's comments....he is legitimately trying to help IMO....that's the way I see it

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Originally Posted by BallStriker

Bubba both likes and respects Tiger a great deal......In my humble opinion, deep down Bubba is trying to tell Tiger something to help him....

The rest of the guys are taking digs at Tiger (i.e., not scared of Tiger anymore).....not the same vibe with Bubba's comments....he is legitimately trying to help IMO....that's the way I see it

I think you're right on the money. We can say whatever we want about Tiger's game and we can critique or applaud the state of his swing until the cows come home, but it will always be from a distance. Was Bubba wrong to speak his mind to reporters rather to Tiger directly? I'm strongly leaning toward "yes", since all it does is bring on the predictable backilash. But there's a good chance that whatever's going on Woods camp these days doesn't include one-on-one practice rounds with Bubba..

Maybe Bubba's feelings are hurt, but it's also very possible that Bubba has an understanding of Tiger on a level we can't possibly comprehend. It might be like seeing an old friend trapped in a toxic relationship. Maybe he just wants his old friend back. The old friend who'd love nothing more than be paired with Bubba in the final round at the The Players and kick his butt for 18 holes. I'd like to see that too, but not because I wish any ill will toward Bubba, but because it would be the only reason I'd spend time indoors watching guys splash balls into the drink on that overrated, overhyped, gravel pit. But that's an entirely different rant.

Note: This thread is 4734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!