IGNORED

My Swing (brightonrock)

brightonrock
Note: This thread is 4715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys.

I am fairly new to golf, have only been playing a couple of years, and have in that time managed to drag my handicap down from shooting 120 regularly to the low-mid 90s, which I'm pleased with, but want to take the next step. I have broken into the 80s three times, but looking for that golden tip that makes it all 'click' in your head and suddenly things become a little easier. I seem to have rounds of entirely 10/10 shots or 1/10 - absolutely pure and flush out the middle of the clubface or just the more dire slices and tops and thins which make the end result approx 90-100 no matter how well or how badly I putt.

I have previously had a big problem with over-swinging leading to every awful result possible, so I have made a conscious effort over the last few months to shorten my swing a little to gain a bit more control. I tend to hit a (relatively) controllable fade with my longer clubs, but a draw (or push when it goes a bit wrong) with my shorter irons and wedges.

Right now my two main faults as I can see with my pretty newbie eye, are that my wrist breaks far too early, and this combined with an inside takeaway is leading to some inconsistent ball-striking as I have to work my hands quite hard in the downswing to square the clubface. Secondly I have noticed that through the downswing my left foot turns to open my hips (obviously something I want to erradicate) and through impact I don't rotate my shoulders enough so my follow-through position looks pretty cramped and untidy. This may be due to the fact I have quite weak ankles from old sporting injuries in my early teenage years, as I have tried to keep my ankle a lot more parallel but it is quite uncomfortable to do this under the torque of a full swing.

Can anyone lead my the way of some tips to help the wrist break/inside takeaway, or anything else to maybe get me to a place of my swing being a little more repeatable and consistent? Thanks very much.

DRIVER

HYBRID

7 IRON

You have a really nice swing, especially considering that you've only been playing a few years. You have somehow avoided some of the most common problems with beginner golf swings--you don't bring the clubhead in too early and don't come over the top. You have a good steep shoulder and hip turn that is parallel to your swing plane--usually takes most golfers many years to get to that point. On all the recorded swings, you are approaching the ball from an inside path. Please post a face on view--I think your issues will be better seen face on (caddy view) I suspect that you lack forward hip movement and extension of the arms, legs, and spine going into impact---all these issues are best seen face on.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Quote:

You have a really nice swing, especially considering that you've only been playing a few years. You have somehow avoided some of the most common problems with beginner golf swings--you don't bring the clubhead in too early and don't come over the top. You have a good steep shoulder and hip turn that is parallel to your swing plane--usually takes most golfers many years to get to that point. On all the recorded swings, you are approaching the ball from an inside path.

Please post a face on view--I think your issues will be better seen face on (caddy view)

I suspect that you lack forward hip movement and extension of the arms, legs, and spine going into impact---all these issues are best seen face on.

Thanks for your comment. I think I have a half-decent set-up for my standard as I've played cricket since I was a kid and it's quite similar posture-wise. I will get myself down the range this week with the camera and film some face-on shots.

looking forward to the face on videos.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

he comes over the top with his driver swing..  I would almost bet that shot was a pull or a pull fade/slice.  Its a very good swing for someone so new to the game, though.  It gets better with the hybrid and then pretty much right on with the 7 iron swing.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Agree, just slightly OTT with the driver. Moving the hips forward first before swinging with the arms is the key here. Brightonrock has a significant shoulder/arm hitting movement toward the ball to initiate the down swing instead of legs first--gets away with it with the hybrid and iron due to pretty good elbow connection and arm connection to torso. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_6M_xZvq0[/VIDEO]

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

Note: This thread is 4715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!