IGNORED

My Swing (mobsocomin)

mobosecomin
Note: This thread is 4701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone. Looking for some help with my takeaway / backswing .

Sorry video is not great sorry. But hopefully it will give some idea of my problems. My head dips a lot and i'm finding it hard to correct. That is amongst other problems.  Any help/drills would be appreciated.

Also as an Irishman would just like to congratulate Rory McIlroy on the US Open. Awesome performance.

G15 9* stiff
MP-60 s400
CG15 52* 56* 60*
COLT Eyeline Lefthanded
Z-star or Pro V1

Your right knee needs to straighten more so you don't buckle onto your right side at the top. Also, you need to turn your hips more. Watch Rory here--see how his right leg is almost straight at the top, then almost straight again at impact--great power move: [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cBOZcb3Ovo[/VIDEO] face on [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX_ksI7j63c&feature;=related[/VIDEO]

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Thanks uttexas

I took this post from a thread called right knee flex. Do you think this would apply to me and be a probable source of my problem. I must say it dose feel like I take a stance with a decent bit of knee flex and then hold it during my swing. Thus restricting hip turn and causing my body to drop during the backswing.??

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
None

Right - you have to straighten it a little. It's physiological and common sense.

(And, you're probably doing your spine angle wrong - but there will be a video in a few days that will address that...)
None

You should find a new instructor.

None

It doesn't depend - every good golfer straightens his right knee a little, and trying to maintain the same flex in the right knee causes all sorts of problems.

None

Except that's exactly the opposite of how your body works...

Everyone who answered "maintains the same flex" or whatever the first choice is, try this: squat down almost like you're a catcher (but leave both of your feet on the ground). Get your butt two feet or so off the ground or less. Try to turn your hips. It's physically impossible to turn your hips without losing flex in the knee. If you want to think of it in terms of bones, tendons, whatever: your right hip goes back and up. Your right foot is fixed in place on the ground. Thus, the radius from right hip to foot gets longer - your knee has to straighten to accommodate that. People who try to maintain the flex in their right knee will often slide their hips back, and nobody's ever recommended a swing with that move. Here's some visual proof: regardless of the way you swing, your right knee straightens out and loses its flex. P.S. I tried to word the question and answers in such a way that it made sense, but if you answered "incorrectly" because you thought "straighten" meant to go 100% perfectly straight, there's no need to explain yourself. It's not like you get an A or an F or something. If you knew what the question was asking and still answered "maintain the same flex" then hopefully you've learned something. P.P.S. The deterioration of Adam Scott's Golf Swing is telling.

G15 9* stiff
MP-60 s400
CG15 52* 56* 60*
COLT Eyeline Lefthanded
Z-star or Pro V1

• Administrator

Originally Posted by mobosecomin

I took this post from a thread called right knee flex. Do you think this would apply to me and be a probable source of my problem. I must say it dose feel like I take a stance with a decent bit of knee flex and then hold it during my swing. Thus restricting hip turn and causing my body to drop during the backswing.??

Your right knee does straighten. I wouldn't worry about that right now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks iacas. Ok I won't go changing stuff until I'm sure of what I need to do. Still not sure what I need to do to sort it though.

G15 9* stiff
MP-60 s400
CG15 52* 56* 60*
COLT Eyeline Lefthanded
Z-star or Pro V1

What I would work on first--getting your hips further forward at impact. In your backswing, you sway back onto your rear leg considerably. Then, you don't get enough forward at impact.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

impo, you really need to work on your swing sequencing, or rhythm. right now you're throwing your momentum at the ball and into the proverbial ground. you want to throw it out at your target.

Ok so guys been working hard for the last 3 days hitting heaps of balls. Been using a array of different drills but mostly feet together drill to try stop swaying. It's been working quite well with a focus on starting the take away with my arms and not by throwing my weight (by swaying) to my right side. Also I have been paying particular attention to my setup to get some decent side tilt in their and keeping my cheek behind the ball during the swing. All this had been working great to get rid of the sway but I'm still struggling with my head dipping during the backswing . My head dipping is actually counteracting all my effort to stay behind the ball, stop swaying etc... Can't really pin point what exactly I have to do, or the real root cause of the problem. I'm struggling

I'm thinking that if I don't get my address position correct and properly load onto my back foot without my head dipping it would be silly to move onto other aspects of the swing that need work. Any more opinions would be appreciated.

G15 9* stiff
MP-60 s400
CG15 52* 56* 60*
COLT Eyeline Lefthanded
Z-star or Pro V1

"the real root cause of the problem "

In the videos above, you are swinging with your arms and hands, Rory is swinging with his body and hands.  What Rory and most other pros do is called a body powered golf swing.

Thanks Jack . Your probably right but it sure dose feel like I am swinging with my body, but more so with my down swing than my back swing. The reason I mentioned my left elbow is since i was looking at some swing sequences of some pros and I did notice that none of them collapsed it as early as I do mine.

G15 9* stiff
MP-60 s400
CG15 52* 56* 60*
COLT Eyeline Lefthanded
Z-star or Pro V1

Your right elbow---it goes out and up at the top of the backswing, it also over flexes. These moves with the right elbow lead to over the top move. Make backswings feeling that you turn your shoulders down (not around)--turn your left shoulder down toward your right toes. Feel as if your arms stay straight attached to your torso (your right elbow will naturally fold). At the top of the backswing feel as if your right palm is pushing the handle of your club away from your body. These maneuvers will result in better connection of your arms to torso in the backswing, which results in approaching the ball from the inside on the downswing.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

Note: This thread is 4701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!