IGNORED

Course with the best value

Note: This thread is 4786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The wife always has me on a budget so finding great courses for a great value is important. What is the course that you have played that provided the best experience for the published fee that is accessible to anyone that walks up in the last 5 years. Please provide the details as well. I don't want to hear about playing pebble in the 60's for 10 bucks and I don't want to hear about the value you get at the course where you get on free because your wife’s brother works there or the sweet hookups you got/get as a junior golfer.

Golf Digest in the 2009 top 100 public ranked their courses in order of price and the course that had the highest rank/average cost was Old Works in Montana. This year after Golf Digest released their list they had an article in the June issue called The Price of Greatness in the article they mentioned that you can play the number 55 ranked World Woods at twilight in the summer for 30 dollars and similarly you can play Pumpkin Ridge in the winter after 1pm for 20 dollars. I'm guessing FL in the summer after 3pm is pretty hot and humid and Pumpkin Ridge in the winter is cold and rainy and if the weather is unusually nice it's probably packed to the point where you finish 18 in the dark, so the experience is likely diminished.

For me it was probably when I played Circling Raven on Labor Day 2010. The cost was $80 (I'm sure the twilight rate is lower) and included cart and range. The course was beautiful, I liked the contrast that was provided by the browned corn fields and I played well. My wife rode along as well and really liked the free hot chocolate. She says she liked the course more than Pebble or any of the Bandon Courses and swears it wasn't because of the free hot chocolate.

The close second is anytime I play Rustic Canyon on a weekday at twilight for 24 bucks.  I'm usually able to get the first twilight tee time, the greens (unless just aerated) are true and a good pace, I enjoy the layout and it's reasonably close to where I live.

just returned from Alabama playing a couple of the Robert Trent Jones courses.  This year's trail guide reports that 22 of the 26 courses can be played for $60 bucks or less.  I'm sure there are other hidden gems that are affordable, but for my money the RTJ courses in 'Bama are a no-brainer.  Typically, 2 or 3 courses are huddled in an area.   there were 3 around Birmingham, Oxmoor Ridge, Oxmoor Valley and Ross Bridge, plus the "short" course par 3 course - which is anything but short as most holes are around 200 yds.   Amazing courses and I was equally amazed to learn that most could be played so affordably.

The RTJ trail and Santa Fe [URL]http://www.golfonthesantafetrail.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=661&page;=36454[URL] Trails are the two best values I can think of.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Do you ever make it out to Los Verdes? I'm from your area, and you can't beat the views for $50 riding on the weekend, but the pace of play is slower than molasses then. But if you're able to play during the week ...

I do go down towards Los Verdes as the twilight on the county courses is a little earlier than the city courses so I'll head out right after some classes during the week.  The first time I played it was a shock to play as a fivesome and yeah the round was slow.  15 (I think that's the hole) is really a good hole.  In terms of LA it's one of the better values but that's not saying all that much.

I've eyed the Santa Fe trail as a pretty good guys trip but have held off because it's very likely I'll end up living in Albuquerque in the future.

Wildhorse in Nebraska. I try and stop whenever I drive on I-80 through Nebraska. Awesome track in perfect condition every time I've been there and great value. Pinon Hills in New Mexico is a great value too. In addition to cheap greens fees, even lunch is a bargain -- years ago the best Southwest burger, hotdog, fries and two drinks was something like $7.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by act0fgod

The close second is anytime I play Rustic Canyon on a weekday at twilight for 24 bucks.  I'm usually able to get the first twilight tee time, the greens (unless just aerated) are true and a good pace, I enjoy the layout and it's reasonably close to where I live.

Seeing that you're from L.A. I was wondering if you were going to mention Rustic. Kickass deal for being on GolfDigest's Top 100 courses. I really like Rustic as well!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a 4some to Machrihanish in Scotland for 40 pound. Or about $75 bucks.  I went with just my Brother-in-law.  We played sunday afternoon. 2some. We arrived monday morning to play again and I had the 120 pound in my hand to pay the secretary.  She said You gave me a voucher for a 4some yesterday and we'll allow you to use the other two today. So $400 of golf for $75. And it was the linchpin that made me set up the week in Scotland....But that's another story.

• 2 weeks later...

Mount Pleasant in Baltimore is 38 dollars on the weekend and a great course.  It has been found on the greatest courses you can play list and was the host of the Eastern Open a PGA stop back in the 1950's.

Stephen T.

FLOG4 - How did you get the deal?

Fairwayguy2 - Like the advice also looked at their website and liked their play another participating course same day at replay rate of $5-$15.

Act0fgod-

There is eBay teetimes where people sell rainchecks and certificates....Bought it there. Not many know of eBay selling teetimes.  I have bought many thru them and some at elite private courses without need to be joined by a member.....At good deals.

You can't beat the RTJ trail. I love it, around forty dollars you can play a 8100 yard course like fighting joe. Can't beat it.

If you are ever in the Memphis area please go and play MIRIMICHI. a course that Justin Timberlake rebuilt. A great course and a great value, around $60

taylormade burner TP 9.5 proforce V2 X

sonortec NP-99 13* V2 X

tayormade TP Rescue 16* V2 X

taylormade TP MB forged 3-PW X100

titliest vokey 54 and 60

Scotty Cameron studio select 1.5 

Note: This thread is 4786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!