IGNORED

Overhearing a lesson never ceases to amaze me

deronsizemore
Note: This thread is 4682 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

I can "do it." Better yet, I can demonstrate the motions required and work with them on finding the appropriate means for them to hit the shot. But I'm young and a pretty good player. Playing and instructing aren't the same. Could Harvey Penick demonstrate the shot? Could a gifted instructor who has arthritis do it? What if I had a brace on my hand - would I be less of an instructor?

I was referring to an instructor who was not proficient enough to hit the shot, not one who was limited due to age, injury, infirmity, etc.  You know what I mean.

There's no time like the present! It's copy and paste.

Hey, that wasn't too hard!

Just got back from a few days off. It has become a useful thread.

When I have a lesson with my current teaching pro, I tell him, "I want to learn how to do this with the golf ball," and he teaches me how.

I'm not there to see if the pro can do it. I'm there for him to teach me how to do it. If he can, what other test counts?

Judging an instructor by his playing ability isn't a great way to go.

Agreed.  As the saying goes those who cant do, teach. :) Even Ben Hogan talks about it in his book.  He said you can either be a great player or a great teacher, theres not enough time for both.  I believe my first golf instructor knows a lot about the golf swing and how to get people to be able to perform it.  I also believe he couldnt hit a drive over 200 yards or get a shoulder turn of more than 90 degrees.  He is almost 80 years old though, and still shoots below his age.  He will be the first to admit he is not even a scratch golfer anymore and never played on the PGA tour, but his price reflects that.  He really enjoys teaching and wants people to be better, and hes being doing it for over 30 years.  He is not in it for the money.  He doesnt try to make you swing exactly like a pro, he tries to get you to understand why what they do works, and how you can best duplicate the results.

Can he hit 5 "perfect" drives in a row on the spot? No.  Can he make me a better golfer for a reasonable price? Yes.

I think my initial take on this was much more limited than the discussion has taken it.  The question I was answering was if you have nothing else to go by, neither recommendations from knowledgeable friends nor reputation. (And the more I think about it, this doesn't come up much, does it?)  I even mentioned Harvey Penick as an example of a person who would pass muster.  I was thinking "Beginner Lessons", too.  Clearly, winners of major championships don't seek out people who hit the ball better than they do in general, so the "Good Shot Test" hardly applies in their case.  Left with nothing to go by, say picking up a teacher at the range, it would seem to me that the ability to hit shots themselves is the only measure that even exists. In the back of my mind, I was thinking of some club pros I've seen or known over the years who couldn't teach worth beans OR hit the ball worth beans, yet whose docket was filled with lessons.  My reaction/solution to this situation is no doubt a bit extreme. . a1_smile.gif

The Recreational Golfer said, When I have a lesson with my current teaching pro, I tell him, "I want to learn how to do this with the golf ball," and he teaches me how.

I'm not there to see if the pro can do it. I'm there for him to teach me how to do it. If he can, what other test counts?

Exactly right.  I'm betting he can hit the ball, though.  . a1_smile.gif

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

Note: This thread is 4682 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!