IGNORED

3 Shaft questions

Note: This thread is 6967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am getting close to exchanging my T-40 three wood and upgrading to the T-60 13*. I have the 5-wood and hit it fine, but would like a better shaft in both of them. I was thinking of going with something like the NV75, I have no trouble getting the ball up in the air, so I figured that would be a good shaft. Are there any other recommended shafts for fairway woods, perhaps some that have the same playing characteristics of the Aldila NV75, but are cheaper...I don't have the money to spend on two Alidila's, probably not even one. Any suggestions for shafts that aren't like the Aldila that you just like would be nice too.

I am also looking at reshafting my Irons to Rifles (obviously this won't be happening to soon considering the money factor) and I don't really know the shaft flexes. I imagine I need a 5.5 or 6.0....Driver swing speed is usually between 110-115, never really tested 5 iron speed. How much stiffer is the 6.0?

Lastly, right now I have the Aldila NV65 in my driver and would like to cut an inch off it to 44"...I just feel more comfortable with a shaft a little shorter. What would be the best way to go about doing this? If I cut an inch off the butt end doesn't it mess up how the shaft plays...or does it just make it a bit stiffer? If it played a bit stiffer I think I could handle it, but if it would do anything else that would be detrimental to my driving, I would like to know....thanks!

I am getting close to exchanging my T-40 three wood and upgrading to the T-60 13*. I have the 5-wood and hit it fine, but would like a better shaft in both of them. I was thinking of going with something like the NV75, I have no trouble getting the ball up in the air, so I figured that would be a good shaft. Are there any other recommended shafts for fairway woods, perhaps some that have the same playing characteristics of the Aldila NV75, but are cheaper...I don't have the money to spend on two Alidila's, probably not even one. Any suggestions for shafts that aren't like the Aldila that you just like would be nice too.

1. Ok here goes........I might be able to help you out. I've got a NV75 in stiff flex sitting here. Its in nice shape and has prolly seen 30 balls. Its a .335 tip shaft and i'm not sure if your heads are .335 or .350. Even if they're .350, you can take it to a club builder and he can shim it to fit. I'll let you have the shaft for $30.00 plus shipping. If you want.....you can send the club to me and i'll do all the work for a fair price as i do this for a living. If you're not interested in that.....I would recommend checking out SK Fiber's website and Mercury shafts website. Very nice offerings with a very nice price. The aldila 75 has a firm tip and is considered a mid to high kick shaft with a weight of about 78 grams i believe. Look around and if you find a shaft that matches these specs you would be in the ball park.

2. Go to royal precisions web site and take the royal tour. You will find a lot of info there. Dont even think about reshafting your irons without getting your swing speed checked with your 5 or 6 iron first. There can be a lot of difference between your driver ss and your 5 iron ss. Also it would be nice to know if you have a late release or early release. 3. Go ahead and cut an inch off if you want to. An inch of the but end, usually has an affect of about 5-6 cpm's wich is about 1/2 of a flex. However, since its coming from the butt end, it wont change the shafts over all playability. If your really into the swing weight thing, you might want to add a little weight to head or the shaft to get it back up. I play all my drivers at 44" now, and have found better contact with no loss of distance, and improved accuracy. In fact i'm actually longer now. 4. I hope all of this has helped you out!

• Administrator
Why trim an inch? Isn't it possible to grip down an inch and avoid the hassle? I realize the grip's a little big smaller an inch down (easily corrected with an extra tape), but... what other reason could there be? 5-6 CPM doesn't seem worth it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why trim an inch? Isn't it possible to grip down an inch and avoid the hassle? I realize the grip's a little big smaller an inch down (easily corrected with an extra tape), but... what other reason could there be? 5-6 CPM doesn't seem worth it.

A lot of people grip down on their drivers to find out what the right length is for their swing. However......once the decision is made about what feels right, Its a much more consistant feeling having it cut to that length and not worrying about gripping down all the time. Its easier to get on a tee and take your normal grip, than worrying about choking down all the time. What if i choke down 1/2" one time and then 1" the next time. If you're trying to groove your swing with the longest club in the bag....1/2" can make all the difference in the world.

Note: This thread is 6967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!