IGNORED

Miura Small Blade Irons

Note: This thread is 1083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Folks,

I love my small blade Miura,'s irons, it is the purest thing in my opinion.  People always say that it is difficult but I have own a set for a year now and do not have any problems with hitting them.

However, when I use the Miura's my elbows hurt pretty bad after a few rounds, when that happens it forces me to rest for a month and switch to my Ping.

The Miuras have Project X 5.5 shafts.  My questions if anybody has the same experience are:

1.  Is this problem common with the Miuras or Muscle back?

2.  Will it be a lot less vibration if I switch the shafts to graphites?  any recommendation which shafts?

The Ping S56s are NOT bad at all, but the Miuras are even better.  Can somebody help me out with a suggestion since I love the Miuras (they look WOA too)

Any ides will be highly appreciated.

• Upvote 1

What is in my Audi golf bag:
1. Ping I15 8 degree with Fubuki

2. Miura 15 degree with Fubuki

3. Titleist 18.5 degree with Tour AD

4. Ping G15 21 degree wood

5. Ping G15 23 degree Hybrid

6. Ping S56 P-5 iron with Project X 5.5

7. Miura Wedges with Project X5.5

8. Scotty Cameron Circa 62

9. Titleist Prov1 or Z-Star

Do you have the same shaft in the S56's?

Originally Posted by Laurentius

Folks,

I love my small blade Miura,'s irons, it is the purest thing in my opinion.  People always say that it is difficult but I have own a set for a year now and do not have any problems with hitting them.

However, when I use the Miura's my elbows hurt pretty bad after a few rounds, when that happens it forces me to rest for a month and switch to my Ping.

The Miuras have Project X 5.5 shafts.  My questions if anybody has the same experience are:

1.  Is this problem common with the Miuras or Muscle back?

2.  Will it be a lot less vibration if I switch the shafts to graphites?  any recommendation which shafts?

The Ping S56s are NOT bad at all, but the Miuras are even better.  Can somebody help me out with a suggestion since I love the Miuras (they look WOA too)

Any ides will be highly appreciated.

Yeah, what shafts do you have in the S56's? Also, what is this vibration that you speak of? I have 2 set of baby blades and experience no such thing. The Miura's a butter soft, best feeling iron made. ETA: According to your sig, you game PX 5.5 in both sets of irons. Now I'm really confused... How consistent is your impact?

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Originally Posted by shades9323

Do you have the same shaft in the S56's?

PX 5.5 the same as the Miuras

the S56 also has PX 5.5 with exact specs.  To be honest, once or twice around I skull it that's when it stings my elbows.

Originally Posted by rebby

Yeah, what shafts do you have in the S56's? Also, what is this vibration that you speak of? I have 2 set of baby blades and experience no such thing. The Miura's a butter soft, best feeling iron made.

ETA: According to your sig, you game PX 5.5 in both sets of irons. Now I'm really confused... How consistent is your impact?

No doubt they are beautiful clubs, but the thing I don't understand is why do you prefer clubs with a sweet spot the size of a dime when you can play clubs with a larger sweet spot. Both legal to play. Just curious.

Bag: SunMountain KG:3 Cart Bag
Driver: Titleist 913 D3

Fairway: Nike VR_S Covert Tour 3

Hybrid: Nike VR_S Covert 3
Wedges: 51° ,55°, 59° Trusty Rusty

Irons: Adams CMB
Putter: TM Ghost Spider

Glove: LeviTee Golf Glove

Shoe: True LinksWear Sensei, Proto

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

No doubt they are beautiful clubs, but the thing I don't understand is why do you prefer clubs with a sweet spot the size of a dime when you can play clubs with a larger sweet spot. Both legal to play. Just curious.

Consistency - The consistency shot to shot from an iron like this is unbelievable. If you do your part, one shot will seemingly drop right on top of another if you hit the same club twice in a row. No other iron that I've ever hit has had consistency anywhere near this. Workability - With a blade this small, working the ball is simple. Minor adjustments is all that is required to move the ball one direction or another. On top of that, the club head is very "active." You can really feel the club head and you don't have to fight it when attempting to work the ball. I find larger irons more difficult to feel and not nearly as "active." Control - The 1957 is a very dense blade and controlling ballflight is stupid simple. Again minor adjustments are all that is required to flight the ball high or low. Confidence - The small size of the baby blade really inspires confidence. Of course, this can work in the opposite direction as well. For me however, the small blade inspires a lot of confidence for me. I know that all I need to do is make solid contact and I will end up with a quality result. Confidence breeds success and success breeds confidence. Once you start making solid contact, the snowballing will commence. I really like the small size of the baby blade out of the rough as well. In thick rough, blades this small really really cut through the rough nicely.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

• Administrator

Originally Posted by LeviTee

And, purely scientifically, the sweet spot of any club (the projection of the center of gravity through the clubface) is exactly the same size: basically it's infinitely small.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And, purely scientifically, the sweet spot of any club (the projection of the center of gravity through the clubface) is exactly the same size: basically it's infinitely small.

That's a really good point that I neglected make myself. To illustrate Erik's point, picture the sweet spot as the point on a pin in the exact center of gravity of the iron. The sweet spot does not grow exponentially with the iron, it remains a constant size and simply moves as the iron changes size and shape.

Originally Posted by iacas

I guess what I meant to say was that your normal game improving irons are much more forgiving than the blades and baby blades. I am an 11 handicap like the OP. If every time I played with these clubs left me in pain, I would ditch them. For me, if I can have that legal advantage to hit a club that is easier to hit I would do it.

Bag: SunMountain KG:3 Cart Bag
Driver: Titleist 913 D3

Fairway: Nike VR_S Covert Tour 3

Hybrid: Nike VR_S Covert 3
Wedges: 51° ,55°, 59° Trusty Rusty

Irons: Adams CMB
Putter: TM Ghost Spider

Glove: LeviTee Golf Glove

Shoe: True LinksWear Sensei, Proto

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

From what the OP has been saying, it seems like the emotions that come with the Miura irons are just that much better than a forgiving club. If I could afford those babies, theyd be in the bag immediately. The feeling of puring a forged blade and sweet look at address and in the bag adds to the enjoyment of the game. Like me, it might not just be about where the ball is going, but also the "inspiration" that Rebby talks about. If I was going for easiest to hit, my bag would be a flowerpot of hybrids and those silly little chipper things. :)

Quote:

I guess what I meant to say was that your normal game improving irons are much more forgiving than the blades and baby blades. I am an 11 handicap like the OP. If every time I played with these clubs left me in pain, I would ditch them. For me, if I can have that legal advantage to hit a club that is easier to hit I would do it.

Driver 10.5 G10 Aldila NV Fairway:  15* Speedline Fast 10 Matrix Ozik

Hybrids 909H 19*,  SQ Machspeed 24*

Irons:  MP-53 5-PW PX5.5

Wedges Tw9 50.08  Rac Black 56.12,  Vokey 60.04

Putter Scotty Cameron Newport 2  Ball: One Tour

From what the OP has been saying, it seems like the emotions that come with the Miura irons are just that much better than a forgiving club. If I could afford those babies, theyd be in the bag immediately. The feeling of puring a forged blade and sweet look at address and in the bag adds to the enjoyment of the game. Like me, it might not just be about where the ball is going, but also [b]the "inspiration" that Rebby talks about[/b]. If I was going for easiest to hit, my bag would be a flowerpot of hybrids and those silly little chipper things. :)

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my baby blades but if you don't have the swing to play them, it's foolish to play them on a daily basis. Work on swing fundamentals in your swing and play them when you reach a level where a mishit doesn't physically hurt. If you/re seriously physically hurt after making a poor swing all that is going to do is cloud your mind and hurt your confidence. That is not good for your golf game. That said, hitting the baby blades will undoubtedly make you a better ball striker in the long run IF you're able to hit them repeatedly without ending up in pain. The feedback of these irons is phenomenal and, like an old school classic blade, feedback like that comes in more places than just the center of the clubface.

Rebby- I totally agree with you that is why I am torn! Love my baby blade Miuras and the wedges as well but don't want to play with pain.  Help!!!

Originally Posted by rebby

Consistency - The consistency shot to shot from an iron like this is unbelievable. If you do your part, one shot will seemingly drop right on top of another if you hit the same club twice in a row. No other iron that I've ever hit has had consistency anywhere near this.

Workability - With a blade this small, working the ball is simple. Minor adjustments is all that is required to move the ball one direction or another. On top of that, the club head is very "active." You can really feel the club head and you don't have to fight it when attempting to work the ball. I find larger irons more difficult to feel and not nearly as "active."

Control - The 1957 is a very dense blade and controlling ballflight is stupid simple. Again minor adjustments are all that is required to flight the ball high or low.

Confidence - The small size of the baby blade really inspires confidence. Of course, this can work in the opposite direction as well. For me however, the small blade inspires a lot of confidence for me. I know that all I need to do is make solid contact and I will end up with a quality result. Confidence breeds success and success breeds confidence. Once you start making solid contact, the snowballing will commence.

I really like the small size of the baby blade out of the rough as well. In thick rough, blades this small really really cut through the rough nicely.

What is the MSRP for the Baby Blades?

Way to many variables to even pose a guess. It really depends on a lot of factors (shafts, grips, fitter, builder, etc).

• 9 years later...

What graphite shaft loads the best with the 1957 Baby Blades. Major thumb and wrist injuries require a graphite shaft instead of kbs130 tour x to reduce vibration off our west Texas hard ground. My driver speed has also been reduced to 86mph and my hand surgeon said it would not improve much with my injuries. Any help would be appreciated as I would like to still play this game a few more years. Thank you

Note: This thread is 1083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!