IGNORED

Which hybrid do you use?

hypergolf
Note: This thread is 5662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which brand do you use when it comes to hybrids? Pros and Cons.

• Callaway
    • Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • Mizuno
    • Cleveland
    • Nike
    • Bridgestone
    • Srixon
    • Ping
    • Cobra
    • Others (Please specify)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 19 deg Cleveland Halo but am thinking of switching. I got the Cleveland because I heard good things and well, everything else was Cleveland in my bag. I'm thinking of switching to the Callaway X or Cobra Baffler.

Hey shortgame85 how far do you hit that 23 degree Baffler? How does that measure against a 3 iron?

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I've got a 19 deg Cleveland Halo but am thinking of switching. I got the Cleveland because I heard good things and well, everything else was Cleveland in my bag. I'm thinking of switching to the Callaway X or Cobra Baffler.

I find the Cobra Baffler one of the easiest clubs to hit I've ever swung. I purchased my 23 degree club a couple of years ago and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The 23 degree hybrid replaced my 4 iron, not a 3 iron.

Two days ago, I acquired the 26 degree new DWS Baffler, which replaces my 5 iron. It has the same Aldila shaft as the older model, but the head design incorporates two back, perimeter weights which are supposed to increase the MOI of the club. Frankly, I can't tell the difference between the clubs, which is a good thing. I couldn't be happier with my hybrids and I highly recommend you give them a try. While certainly not for everybody ( after all, there are those for whom a pured 3 iron is as close to heaven as they may get on this earth ), they have absolutely given me much more confidence on approach shots, as well as tee shots on some par 3s.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Anyone who is looking for a hybrid, try several, not just one or two brands because it has been recommended by somebody on a forum. What works for one isn't always the best choice for the next guy. That said, I see more TaylorMade hybrids on the course than all others combined, and I haven't yet met anyone who uses them who doesn't love the club. All 3 of mine are the 2005 version of the TM Mid Rescue. They can be found new for under $100 these days, even less than that used. I just glanced at Ebay... a #3 and a #4 new with stiff shafts for $98 each, shipped.

But don't buy it because I recommend it, buy it because it suits you.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
Currently I use a Cleveland Halo 3i (21 deg), which I actually used to replace a 5-wood because I found the hybrid more accurate (however I do realise that hybrids are meant to be iron replacements). Marvellous club - accurate & long, but not great into the wind as it can climb some. Currently looking at getting another hybrid, to replace 4-iron (will also drop 3-iron out & get another wedge). Considering another Halo, or may switch to both Hi-Bore or both Callaway X or Fusion. Would be keen on some recommendations regarding Halo vs Hi-Bore vs Callaway X or Fusion.

Currently I use a Cleveland Halo 3i (21 deg), which I actually used to replace a 5-wood because I found the hybrid more accurate (however I do realise that hybrids are meant to be iron replacements). Marvellous club - accurate & long, but not great into the wind as it can climb some. Currently looking at getting another hybrid, to replace 4-iron (will also drop 3-iron out & get another wedge). Considering another Halo, or may switch to both Hi-Bore or both Callaway X or Fusion. Would be keen on some recommendations regarding Halo vs Hi-Bore vs Callaway X or Fusion.

I'm currently in the process of deciding on a new hybrid currently playing a first gen Nike CPR. I've hit the hibore and i find that it get up a little too easily id only reccomend this club if you have some trouble getting it in the air. the callaway x however is my favorite so far a very hot face and i hit this the longest, i'm going to try some TM ones at the TM van fitting today but currently my mind is set on the Callaway X.

driver: Burner TP 9.5 S
FWY Wood: 906F2 15.5*
hybrid: Idea Pro 18*
irons: MP-57 3-W
Wedges: X-Forged 56, 60 Putter: Anser Redwood Putter Black Series i #9

I have 2 Taylor Made Rescue Dual Hybrids, 25 and 19 deg. The only reason I don't have the 22 deg also is that it overlaps with my 7 wood, which has been a favorite club of mine for many years. I'll eventually get the 22 deg and retire my 7 wood. Last time I played I did so without my 3 iron, 4 iron, 5 wood and 3 wood and I was happy. I know the 19 deg isn't as long as my 3 wood but I don't hit a 3 wood well enough to warrant having in the bag anyway, I'd rather lay up with the hybrid. I'm what you guys call a "high handicapper" and these hybrids are just amazing. If I have a somewhat short drive and have to take out the 25 deg hybrid on a par 4, I'm not unhappy. The club is just so easy to hit. If you are shopping for a hybrid, you'd be wise to try the TM Rescue Dual and see if it works for you.

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

I'm currently in the process of deciding on a new hybrid currently playing a first gen Nike CPR. I've hit the hibore and i find that it get up a little too easily id only reccomend this club if you have some trouble getting it in the air. the callaway x however is my favorite so far a very hot face and i hit this the longest, i'm going to try some TM ones at the TM van fitting today but currently my mind is set on the Callaway X.

Cheers BigBoom, will give the X a try this weekend.

I use both an Adams Idea Pro and a TM Rescue Dual. I like them both but the TM is easier to hit.

In My Bag:
Driver: R9 TP 9.5°
Hybrids: Idea Pro, 16°, 20°, VS Proto
Irons: TP MB 4-P
Wedges: Vokey SM 50.08 54°, 60°Putter: NP2

Cheers BigBoom, will give the X a try this weekend.

Give the new burner hybrid a hit too...had a chance to hit it yesterday and liked that just not as much as the X.

driver: Burner TP 9.5 S
FWY Wood: 906F2 15.5*
hybrid: Idea Pro 18*
irons: MP-57 3-W
Wedges: X-Forged 56, 60 Putter: Anser Redwood Putter Black Series i #9

Nike Ignite

Driver : Nike Sasquatch 460
3 wood : Nike Sasquatch
5 wood : Nike Sasquatch
Hybrid: Nike Ignite
4I-PW: Nike Ignite
SW: Nike Ignite
LW: Wilson Harmonized
Putter: Nike Ignite 001

Im looking for a hybrid to replace my three iron. Mizuno fli hi clk, Cobra Baffler dws and callway x any input or suggestions

In my bag
R7 Draw 9
rescue mid 16
Nds 3-pw(no nine iron)
50 racspin milled 56 black nickel 60 2 ball srt ad333/Zurc

Im looking for a hybrid to replace my three iron. Mizuno fli hi clk, Cobra Baffler dws and callway x any input or suggestions

I have not played the Callaway X ( although, I have hit the Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood hybrids a year ago and liked them ), but I own two Cobra Baffler DWS clubs and 1 Baffler ( last year's model - they have the same shaft and I really don't notice much difference between them, FWIW ). The Cobra hybrids are among the easiest clubs I've ever hit. The shaft is the Aldila NV-HL, which, in my opinion, is superb. I started with a 23 degree as a substitute for my 4 iron. I swapped a 26 degree for my 5 iron a month ago and, last week, I replaced my 3 wood with a 16 degree. I'm very pleased with these clubs. I have no complaints about them, only kudos. Give them a try. Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Has anyone ever hit the Hi-Bore hybrid irons?
When this season ends (I live in a temperate region), I'm
thinking of getting a new set of clubs. I wanted to know
if anyone plays with them or has hit them.

Thanks,

Complete

I just got back into golf after a 13 year absence so all the new technology is pretty overwhelming. I picked up the Adams Idea set of irons which comes with a hybrid 3 & 4 iron. I haven't swung any other hybrids but I've been pretty happy with the Adams hybrids. Probably the most comfortable clubs in my bag.

Given that, I just picked up their Idea A2OS hybrid 5 iron to replace the standard 5 iron (haven't got it yet, though)..

My local proshop just had a Demo day weekend. I won't go so far as to say that I hit everything, but I did hit a good number of hybrids. Obviously my preferences are bound to differ greatly from everyone else, but that being said, here's my 2 cents...

I absolutely loved both the Cleveland HiBore and the Titleist 585H. They have very different feels, but I didn't want to stop hitting either one. Granted I was hitting off the mat, but I didn't find the 585 the least bit difficult to hit. The HiBore was straight every time. Within the next couple of weeks, one or the other is going to find its way into my bag.

I liked the Callaway FT-Fusion, the Callaway X-hybrid (although not as much as the Fusion), and the Cobra baffler (which would be my third choice behind the Cleveland and the Titleist).

I didn't care for the TaylorMade R7 Draw hybrid. Inexplicably the TaylorMade rep didn't have any other hybrids in his van for me to try, so that was my only look at TM. I didn't like the Nickent 3DX DC either, but that may have more to do with a rep who was too busy giving me swing advice to try and sell me on his product.

Finally, although I really really wanted to love the Adams Idea Pro, I didn't. I liked the feel and the trajectory produced by the VS Proto shaft, but the club itself is overly boxy and felt dead on impact.

The Nike rep didn't have a single hybrid with him. It seems like everyone is blowing out their Slingshot hybrid stock. Does anyone know if Nike has a new hybrid on the way, preferably something as yellow as everything else they're putting out these days.

My Website: Qwowi Golf

In my Atlas Bag:
Driver: R7 SuperQuad 9.5° VS Proto 65-S
3+ Wood: G10 4 Wood: G10 Hybrid: 585H VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PWGap Wedge: Vokey 200 Series 52°Sand Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56°Lob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Bettinardi BC1

I have a Nickent 3DX, which is supposed to replace my three-iron. However , the most I seem to be able to get out of it is 160 yards, if it isn't a severe push-slice or some other mishit. Seeing as I hit my 3 iron 180, you might as well say I'm hitting a much less accurate five iron.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Note: This thread is 5662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!