IGNORED

Fore!

teal
Note: This thread is 6264 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

My name is Andrew. I am new to the game. I have about 9 rounds under my belt. I currently play a set of 199.00 specials from Dick's Sporting goods.

I would like to upgrade this spring but am a bit confused as to just what would be a good set. Looking to go irons first and am concerned about getting a set that are above my ability.

I have played mostly in TX - San Antonio area - used to go almost every weekend when I was stationed there in the military. I either drove the cart (passed out the beverages ) or played. Best course I played there was Golf Club of Texas Very nice!

I used to live in Monterey California - and I credit that with planing the seed for golf. My great-grandmother was an avid golfer and sunday was Jack day on the TV. She golfed all over the country and did 38 holes a day into her 70's IIRC. Those are the reasons I think I was initialy drawn to the game. Now it's about everything else - love being out with the fellas on a Sat morning and hitting a decent shot every 4 holes or so. I admit yesterday I watched LPGA, PGA, th Champions tour and then more LPGA on TV. Kinda makes me a crazy.....

Here to learn and look forward to talking with many of you!

Andrew

It might help if you told a little more about your current clubs, age and ability, and what you want from golf. If your desire is to get as good as possible as quickly as possible, take a few lessons first, somewhere between 3 and 6, and then ask around for a good clubfitter or chain that employs a good fitter. If you have only played 9 rounds you probably will improve qicker from lessons than equipment changes.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Hi Andrew,

I agree with the above about getting a good club fitting done. I recently had this done, and ended up buying a set of irons that I never would have picked up in the golf store. Sadly, I have not hit them yet, but am confident that this very qualified fitter has done the job. I think finding a driver and a putter are also key to your success. Much of this will be about what you like, what looks good you you etc. I once went to a golf store to buy a new putter and thought it would take me 5 minutes. After hitting $20 to $200 putters for 45 minutes, I finally had what I wanted. Drivers it is the same thing (except the cost). I guess the other thing I will say is find a teacher that you will really like. Some of them use all the gadgets, and some just watch..that again is up to you.

What's in my bag:
Driver : R7, 10.5 degree, stock stiff shaft
16 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler DWS, with stiff stock shaft
20 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler, with Accra Shaft, Stiff
26 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler, with Accra Shaft, Stiff6 - PW - Bridgestone CG Mid, Dynamic Gold LiteWedges : TBA...

My take is that after only nine rounds you don't really know what your handicap index is and you haven't developed your swing to the point where it's worth buying new clubs. If you take a series of lessons there is a good chance your swing characteristics will change significantly in a month or so. Another idea is, if you do take lessons, ask the pro's advice on your current equipment and when he/she recommends you change equipment. The pro might have want you to develop some kind of consistent swing, preferably a good, consistent swing before you throw a lot of money at new equipment. Best of luck to you. You picked out a great game to take up.

Age - 30

My goals are short term - break 100 - long term scratch.

As to upgrading equipment -- I am willing to move slow - 9 rounds of golf is probably a low number - I simply guessed as I never really took notice. Surely no more than 15. My last 2 scores were 105 and 107. I played 2 rounds with a set of PING G5 irons - really liked them as I seemed to play much better - were it not for 2 holes I really think I woulda broke 100.

I have no problems with taking lessons.

Thanks for the advice...

Andrew

Then again - those shoes probably wouldn't slow me down either ;)

Never saw anyone hurt by having good stuff.

Andrew

Note: This thread is 6264 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!