IGNORED

2009 TaylorMade Tour Preferred Irons

Note: This thread is 3630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm curious if anyone has had these in their bag recently?

I remember hitting these when they first came out, and liking them quite a bit.  I'm thinking of picking up a set as an alternative to the AP2s, which are still very expensive.

Any Sand Trap experience?

taylormade_0808_tour_preferred_iron_composite.jpg

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I've been playing them since the end of 2009 and am very happy with them. I started out with the Burners for a few months but switched to the TPs when I got fitted. I'm a big fan from both an aesthetic (looks like a players iron with a thin topline) and functional (cavity back) standpoint. What I like is that I can feel the difference between hitting it flush and catching it a little thin (couldn't do that with the Burners), yet the TPs are still forgiving enough for an intermediate and improving player like me. I got mine new on eBay for either $425 or $450, which was an absolute steal.

That is a steal INDEED!!! I've wanted to try these out for a while, and I'm trying to find one on ebay to try out, 6 or 5 iron hopefully. If you know or see one, let me know!

That is a steal INDEED!!! I've wanted to try these out for a while, and I'm trying to find one on ebay to try out, 6 or 5 iron hopefully. If you know or see one, let me know!

6-iron: http://cgi.ebay.com/TaylorMade-Tour-Preferred-2009-6-Iron-Stiff-Project-X-/170667462245?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash;=item27bc92ce65

6-iron: http://cgi.ebay.com/TaylorMade-Tour-Preferred-2009-Single-6-Iron-KBS-Stiff-/140459142056?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash;=item20b4046ba8

5-iron: http://cgi.ebay.com/TaylorMade-Tour-Preferred-2009-5-Iron-Stiff-Project-X-/170667461981?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash;=item27bc92cd5d

Unfortunately, I don't think you're likely to find a new set of these since the model is almost three years old. What about trying out the new MCs? They're basically an updated version of the TPs, except the MCs are forged. You can get them on eBay for $600 right now.

One of the better TM irons imo. Very consistent distances and not freakishly long. I give them about a 7.5 out of 10. Hope this helps!

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need." 
Will Rogers 

Thanks for the replies.  I've read a few good threads from when they were introduced, and it looks like sets can be found on eBay for around $300 in good condition.  I've hit the new MCs and like the feel, but wasn't wild about them enough to spend $800.

In addition, new grips (midsize) and shaft upcharges push the price of anything new a bit too high for my liking, and I'm a big believer in the value of lightly-used golf equipment.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this thread since the purchase.

I wanted to move from the PX 6.5 to a TTx100, and I found a set that seemed to fit well.  This set was +1/4" with Tour Issue TT x100 shafts and a new set of midsize Golf Pride New Decades.  These sticks were supposedly built by the tour department (had the tour ferrule) and played by a mini tour player in AZ.  Irons were in great shape and I picked them up for $265.

After a few range sessions and 2 after-work nines, I'd have to say I love these irons.  The shafts feel wonderful compared to the PX, and these irons are quite a bit more forgiving than my musclebacks without constraining shot shaping too much.  This set plays about a club longer for me, and the feel for a cast head is excellent.  I can't flight the ball as easily as I could before, but that may come with time and I get used to the new set.

For those looking for a great value in a players cavity, these sticks are very solid.

• 2 years later...

I have these in my bag right now. I bought them used last year, well I swapped a set of diablos for them straight up. I really like them. i never liked the look of gi or sgi irons and when I took them to the range I had no problems hitting them. I also used to own a set of AP2's and found them much harder to hit then these ones. All in all these are a great set of irons that don't just fit in the "player" category. high cappers like myself can hit them with ease.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

Note: This thread is 3630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!