IGNORED

Meat Heads

LifeIsRuf
Note: This thread is 6258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I took a day off from work yesterday and played a local course. Well, I get paired up with another single and a 2some. Before the round the single is running his mouth about playing minor league ball and shooting in the low 80's and driving the 320 yard par 4's, while the other two break out a bottle of Patron and a bag of pipe tobacco and cigars.

All day long it was, "F*%& Dude" this and "F^$% Dude" that. Back in the day I understand I used to talk and walk like those guys but being a family man now I've grown and matured a lot. I don't enjoy my round when playing with guys like that any more.

The single was a pretty big boy and his swing looked like a hybrid of Furyk and Derek Jeter.

Does anyone else have stories of playing with "meat heads"?

P.S. It felt good to outdrive him most of the day.........
My Bag

Taylor Made: R580XD, Graffaloy Prototype Comp NT X
Callaway: Hawkeye VFT Pro 13*, Fujikura Vista Pro 70 S
Taylor Made: Rescue Mid TP 16*, Fujikura Vista Pro 90 STop Flite: Tour Grind 3-P, Rifle 5.0Cleveland: CG10 Black Pearl 54*Cleveland: Reg. 485 60*Heavy Putter: B1 malletT...

I took a day off from work yesterday and played a local course. Well, I get paired up with another single and a 2some. Before the round the single is running his mouth about playing minor league ball and shooting in the low 80's and driving the 320 yard par 4's, while the other two break out a bottle of Patron and a bag of pipe tobacco and cigars.

I usually keep my conversation light and hold back on any cursing if I hook up with someone. You just never know the sensibilities of another person...As far as a cigar, I will light one up but make sure the smoke isn't blasting them in their face if I'm riding in the cart.

If I come to guys like the ones you mentioned, I'd probably do as you did and keep my mouth shut and let my game do the talking. The only "meat head" story I have is about an old guy that I hooked up with at my local muni...I'm a fast player, but this guy was ridiculous. He would hit and take his pullcart and start walking before the rest of our foursome would tee off...he would leave the green after his putt and head to the next tee box before we were done on the green...he hit his drive OVER a slower twosome in front of us to speed them up...at the turn we left him and played the front over again. I don't mind ready play but not at the expense of distracting someone else's shot...

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

I played with a guy one time who defined "meat head". He was all about hitting it long. The first hole at our club has water all down the left hand side and his ball trickles onto the edge of the water (the lake was low). He had to stand with his heels in the water and hit his approach onto the back fringe of the green, but he is not happy with that. Makes a par which anyone would be happy with considering where he was shooting from. Birdies the next hole and we come to the par 5 third. He thinks that since he is so long (in his own mind), he is getting home in 2. Well he bogeys the hole instead and is absolutely livid. Slams his putter into his golf bag. Gets up to the next hole and proceeds to take out his driver which falls into 2 pieces since he broke it when he slammed his putter into the bag. He hits 3 wood instead but is obviously more mad than mad can be. He pushed his second shot to the right and quit right there. He was EVEN PAR but was not happy about it.

Most of the guys I have ever been paired up with over the years have been absolutely wonderful though.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

They were totally inconsiderate. I'm a pottymouth heathen, but I hold my tongue when I get paired up with other folks until I feel them out a little. Two weeks ago I hooked up with a guy on the first tee and it turned out he was a minister that had served in Vietnam as a Chaplain. I'd have felt lower than low had I first spouted the F-word all over the place.

My meathead story includes a couple of rednecks, nephew and uncle I believe. The nephew had a BB gun and was trying to kill squirrels the entire round. He claimed to work at the course and the uncle was a Member so I didn't say anything, but geez... Golf is a gentlemen's game but this is still West Virginia.

They were totally inconsiderate. I'm a pottymouth heathen, but I hold my tongue when I get paired up with other folks until I feel them out a little. Two weeks ago I hooked up with a guy on the first tee and it turned out he was a minister that had served in Vietnam as a Chaplain. I'd have felt lower than low had I first spouted the F-word all over the place.

LOL!!!! Just thinking about it makes me laugh!

Da Bag:

TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

The only "meat head" story I have is about an old guy that I hooked up with at my local muni...I'm a fast player, but this guy was ridiculous. He would hit and take his pullcart and start walking before the rest of our foursome would tee off...he would leave the green after his putt and head to the next tee box before we were done on the green...he hit his drive OVER a slower twosome in front of us to speed them up...at the turn we left him and played the front over again.

Yikes man. If someone hit *over* me in this fashion -- purposely hitting even though he knew I wasn't out of his range -- I'd have the ranger over pronto. That's reckless endangerment in my mind.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OK, my story.

This happened last Easter at a muni. Par-3/Pitch-n-Putt course, the type where you hit off of mats for the tee shot. Two of my friends and I had just finished our first quarter of group lessons at campus recreation at school and were eager to play something. We were paired with an older man with very shiny clubs. He introduced himself and immediately started pitching how great his clubs were, what a great deal he got on them, and how we could go to the pro shop right now and get ourselves an identical pair if we wanted.

Well, I had been fit for clubs a few weeks before and the three of us were still in school (two of us still are), so we weren't about to go spend hundreds on a whim.

After we kindly decline, he invites us to take honors on the first hole. I prepare to hit, remembering 8 weeks' worth of group lessons (2 hours per week, maybe 15 person class, hitting balls on a field at school). I had hit very well at the range that morning, so I was set. I hadn't even started by backswing before he starts correcting me and steps close to show me "the right way to swing." I was too shocked by this to say anything, but my friends knew that I wasn't about to follow what he did. One of them gripped his club backwards (right-handed, right hand top) and got the guy's attention. While he was distracted, I hit my shot onto the fringe. Not bad.

I held his attention while my friends hit. One hit just outside of me, just outside of for-sure putting range. The other hit the green, maybe ten feet from the pin (he would two-putt for par).

Then this guys hits. He takes about four practice swings, tops the ball, calls a mulligan, and misses his mulligan. He picks it up and says "nevermind."

He doesn't bug us again for the rest of the hole, and at this point, a friend of mine made the only par in the group and had honors. He set up to hit and, sure enough, our friend here decides to correct him again. My friend reminds him that he [my friend] hit the green last hole, while this other guy topped it then missed his mulligan. The man shut up and we weren't bothered again.

But man, I didn't want to go alone - or even in a group less than four - again. I finally got over it and have had many great, random playing partners over the last year. And it taught me early on that, even if I think I know what's wrong with someone else's swing, I never tell them unless asked.

[I've only been asked once what was wrong with someone's swing, and it was a friend of mine asking. I told him that he had never taken lessons and maybe should take a half hour lesson sometime from someone who can teach properly]

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

No kidding...I had to apologize for him. The rest of the group was in total disbelief when he did that...

It's a muni and the ranger(s) aren't very visible and when they are they don't do much...in this case not much at all.

Da Bag:

TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)

These are exactly the reasons that I don't just roll up to the golf course as a single. But I am about to be forced into that situation as I am getting married and moving to central Ohio for the next couple of years. I would like to think that I won't run into any of these "meat heads" up there but I am sure that is wishful thinking.

Driver:TaylorMade R580 XD Stiff
3 Wood:Wilson FY-brid 15*
Hybrid:Adams A3 Boxer # 3
Irons:Titleist Square Toe 4
Irons:Callaway X-20 5-PWWedges:Adams Tight Lies GT SWPutter: Ping Anser 2Ball: Wilson Ultra or Precept Lady IQ180 or Bridgestone e6+

These are exactly the reasons that I don't just roll up to the golf course as a single. But I am about to be forced into that situation as I am getting married and moving to central Ohio for the next couple of years. I would like to think that I won't run into any of these "meat heads" up there but I am sure that is wishful thinking.

My experience kept me away for a while, other than with friends. Since then I've had many good experiences with random partners, so I'm no longer worried.

-- Michael | My swing! 

My meathead story includes a couple of rednecks, nephew and uncle I believe. The nephew had a BB gun and was trying to kill squirrels the entire round.

Thats too classic. I was laughing my a$$ off.
My Bag

Taylor Made: Rescue Mid TP 16*, Fujikura Vista Pro 90 STop Flite: Tour Grind 3-P, Rifle 5.0Cleveland: CG10 Black Pearl 54*Cleveland: Reg. 485 60*Heavy Putter: B1 malletT...

man this topic should be a "sticky" you can find a "meat head" almost every trip to the course. It makes for some good stories.
My Bag

man this topic should be a "sticky" you can find a "meat head" almost every trip to the course. It makes for some good stories.

I don't even understand what a "sticky" is. :(

I'm more concerned with worrying if I'm a meathead. But I pretty much keep to myself, other than saying "Nice shot!" to everyone else when they hit good shots.

-- Michael | My swing! 

I don't even understand what a "sticky" is. :(

A "sticky" is a thread that is on the board permanently. Notice the threads at the top of each forum page.

My Bag

There's a big difference between Saturday morning tee time trash talk and just vulgar interaction where grown men are trying to appear 16 again. lol

You're on a beautiful course, enjoying nature, feeling your power with a swing and it kind of ruins it when meat heads stink up the joint.

I am blogging about golf etiquette right now on one of my ••••••• lenses to try to teach people how to act right and not spoil it for others on the course. I think it's fine if that's how you want to be in your own foursome, but they should be more respectful when playing with others.

I guess when a sport becomes popular to the masses, and golf is becoming more mainstream than ever, you get a few rotten apples.
Tiff :)

There's a big difference between Saturday morning tee time trash talk and just vulgar interaction where grown men are trying to appear 16 again. lol

I like the etiquette article you posted. I hadn't known about the shoes thing before; I used to wear sneakers regularly before getting golf shoes. I thought they were preferable, too, for a while! I guess I've done the meathead then once, then. At least I didn't step in anyone's line with them.

-- Michael | My swing! 

I don't personally think uninformed people are meatheads. The only ones who bug me are those who know and don't care. It's humiliating to find out you've been doing something that is against proper etiquette. That ••••••• lens is just for fun to inform people. Hopefully it's entertaining and not degrading - I sure don't want to make people feel bad.
tiff

He would hit and take his pullcart and start walking before the rest of our foursome would tee off...he would leave the green after his putt and head to the next tee box before we were done on the green...he hit his drive OVER a slower twosome in front of us to speed them up...at the turn we left him and played the front over again.

Oh my! Sounds like a grouch. I'm putting some of these meathead stories on my ••••••• lens - these are too too funny. Love sharing stories like this.

Note: This thread is 6258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!