IGNORED

Rule 7

Will
Note: This thread is 6257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Interesting. During televised match play, you'll see the pros practicing their putting on the green after the hole is decided. You never see this during stroke play.

But under rule 7.2, which covers play during a round, there is no distinction made between match and stroke play. Practice is allowed. You can chip and putt between holes.

A tournament committee may prohibit such practice, and perhaps that's routinely done in pro competition in the interests of time. Anyone know?
Ping G10 9° driver
Taylormade Burner 3-wood
Taylormade Rescue 16°
Taylormade Rac OS 5-PW
Ping G2 3-4Titleist Vokey SM54.14, SM60.08Odyssey Marxman putterTitleist Pro-V1 balls

You are correct that practicing chipping or putting on the green of the last hole played, or on the tee of the next hole, is permitted in stroke play.

You are also correct that the Committee may, as a Condition of the Competition, put in place a rule prohibiting such practice during the tournament. Such a prohibition is almost universal, and is recommended in order to speed up play.

See Appendix 1(C)(6), pages 109-110 in the 2006-2007 Rules of Golf.

Clay

Interesting. During televised match play, you'll see the pros practicing their putting on the green after the hole is decided. You never see this during stroke play.

It's standard policy on the PGA Tour that practice putting is prohibited. But you will sometimes see it at the US Open, which is under the direction of the USGA, and they try to follow the Rules closely. The USGA depends on the wording of the basic rule, that practice putting is allowed "as long as it doesn't unduly delay play" for the group following.

You arent likely to see the USGA invoke the local rule allowing relief for an imbedded ball in the rough either, unless abnormal conditions warrant it. The PGA Tour uses that modification as a standard for normal play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

...You arent likely to see the USGA invoke the local rule allowing relief for an imbedded ball in the rough either, unless abnormal conditions warrant it. The PGA Tour uses that modification as a standard for normal play.

The PGA Tour calls it "lift, clean, and place".

The USGA calls it "lift, clean, and cheat". You're right, we'll see it in the US Open when we see hell hip deep in snowballs!

• Administrator
It's standard policy on the PGA Tour that practice putting is prohibited. But you will sometimes see it at the US Open, which is under the direction of the USGA, and they try to follow the Rules closely. The USGA depends on the wording of the basic rule, that practice putting is allowed "as long as it doesn't unduly delay play" for the group following.

I think the condition of competition is in effect for the U.S. Open too. I've never seen a prop practice putting. Of course, there is almost always a group behind, so they'd always be "delaying play."

In match play, I believe you're explicitly allowed to putt out after being conceded (without affecting or changing the outcome, as I don't think you can decline a concession).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

...In match play, I

Absolutely correct. Once the next stroke is conceded, the hole is over, and the concession may neither be withdrawn nor declined.

Also, any strokes played in the completion of a hole whose outcome has already been decided are NOT considered "practice" under Rule 7. So, even if you're in a fairway bunker 200 yards from the hole, and either you or your opponent concedes the hole, you can play it in from there.

I think the condition of competition is in effect for the U.S. Open too. I've never seen a prop practice putting. Of course, there is almost always a group behind, so they'd always be "delaying play."

The prohibition against practicing on the green of the hole just finished can be extended to cover either a stroke play or a match play competition. It must be stated in the conditions of the competition if practice putting is to be disallowed . If it is so stated then playing a practice putt (other than in finishing the play of the hole) would be a breach. Keep in mind that this condition does not prohibit practice putting or chipping on the next tee box while waiting for the fairway to clear. I never see a pro do that either, but I also don't see a prohibition against it that is supported by the Rules. If no such prohibition is stipulated, then practice putting on the green of the hole just finished is allowed under Rule 7-2.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 6257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!