IGNORED

Odyssey Marxman Chipper

Note: This thread is 4664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK, I know, so don;'t even say it.  They're not cool, they're limited in their application, they're a waste of a space, they're for hacks -  yada, yada, yada.   But I have to say - THEY WORK!!!

I bought an Odyssey Marxman chipper a few yrs back, I used it for about 3 - 9 hole rounds.  I took it out becuase of the stigma around it and I need the 14 clubs I have.  But I have to say that I chipped it close many times, in the short time I used it during a round.  I had 2 or 3 near misses and I holed out from 25ft once.  I think ichipped in maybe 2 other times in my life.  Now, I consider myself a good wedge player and I practice all kinds of shots in my backyard all yr round with wedghes.  Moreover, I can play a similiar Chip-shot with any iron in my bag, but there is just something about these chippers, that makes it soo much easier.   I don't know what it is but they are literally fool-proof1   IMO, they provide a significantly improved chance of getting it tight.  Becuase of this, I really want to put it back in the bag.  I don't care if people snicker, the thing works and it's a SCORING club so if it performs for you, I think it can save strokes, seriously.

I know some people say - you can do the same thing with any of your clubs.  Well, I don't agree with that.  Yes you can chip with any iron in the bag but there is much more inconsistency, predictability, etc.  On several occasions I have done a head-to-head test with the chipper vs other irons and wedges in my bag.  One thing I can say for sure, is that equally lofted irons do not produce a similiar result.  For example, lets say you have a 37* chipper and a 37* 8 iron, which I do and have tested head to head.  The chipper seems to lift the ball quicker, higher, lands and rolls in a much more predictable pattern.  The 8iron barely lifted the ball off the ground and rolled much father.   I went thru my clubs to find what club (loft) would acheive a similiar trajectory and run out, with the same swing and I found it was not the eaually lofted 8 iron it was a GW @ 50*.  However, like I said, the GW was more incosistent, sometimes i checked a little, sometimes not, it was much harder to hit precisely and much harder to get the same roll-out.  But it was interesting that the GW provided a similiar trajectory, not an 8iron.  Same stroke, same length swing etc.  For some reason, the 37* 8 iron chip produced a much lower trajectory and rolls much more and was more incosistent and harder to predict the end result.

My question is I am putting this club back in the bag, however, I am wondering why it comes stock with a standard cound Iron grip and why not a putter grip.  Afterall, I think most people would agree that these are putting wedges and you use a putting stroke when using them,.  they are not full, half, quarter swing clubs, even though I heard that some people do use them that way, but do you think I should put a putting grip on it.  Do you think that would be a good idea or reduce some of the versatility of the club?  Personally, I have never used the chipper with anyother stroke other than a typical putting stroke.

Any thoughts about my experience in genral or getting mine re-gripped with a putter grip?

Also, I see Oddyssey has since come out with a higher lofted 46* chipper.  I am curious if anyone has hit both and what your thoughts are.

I have a nice chipper (niblick), but just don't have the room in the bag ... wish I could carry 18 clubs !!!!!!!!!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jwalker497

My question is I am putting this club back in the bag, however, I am wondering why it comes stock with a standard cound Iron grip and why not a putter grip.  Afterall, I think most people would agree that these are putting wedges and you use a putting stroke when using them,.  they are not full, half, quarter swing clubs, even though I heard that some people do use them that way, but do you think I should put a putting grip on it.  Do you think that would be a good idea or reduce some of the versatility of the club?  Personally, I have never used the chipper with anyother stroke other than a typical putting stroke.

Never used a chipper before. Don't really see the need as you can use a normal wedge with a putting stroke but still have the versatility to use the wedge for full shots, pitches, chips, bump and runs etc.

Regarding a square grip on it I'm 99% sure it's against the rules of golf:

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-on-Clubs-and-Balls/The-Grip/

b. Cross-section

Appendix II, 3(i) through (iv) provide more specific parameters for the grip and states that:

(i) For clubs other than putters the grip must be circular in cross-section, except that a continuous, straight, slightly raised rib may be incorporated along the full length of the grip, and a slightly indented spiral is permitted on a wrapped grip or replica of one.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Who cares about a silly stigma.  If the club works good for you put that puppy back in your bag and shoot lower scores. Let them laugh at you before the round.  You will get the last laugh when they are paying you.

Originally Posted by jwalker497

OK, I know, so don;'t even say it.  They're not cool, they're limited in their application, they're a waste of a space, they're for hacks -  yada, yada, yada.   But I have to say - THEY WORK!!!

I bought an Odyssey Marxman chipper a few yrs back, I used it for about 3 - 9 hole rounds.  I took it out becuase of the stigma around it and I need the 14 clubs I have.  But I have to say that I chipped it close many times, in the short time I used it during a round.  I had 2 or 3 near misses and I holed out from 25ft once.  I think ichipped in maybe 2 other times in my life.  Now, I consider myself a good wedge player and I practice all kinds of shots in my backyard all yr round with wedghes.  Moreover, I can play a similiar Chip-shot with any iron in my bag, but there is just something about these chippers, that makes it soo much easier.   I don't know what it is but they are literally fool-proof1   IMO, they provide a significantly improved chance of getting it tight.  Becuase of this, I really want to put it back in the bag.  I don't care if people snicker, the thing works and it's a SCORING club so if it performs for you, I think it can save strokes, seriously.

I know some people say - you can do the same thing with any of your clubs.  Well, I don't agree with that.  Yes you can chip with any iron in the bag but there is much more inconsistency, predictability, etc.  On several occasions I have done a head-to-head test with the chipper vs other irons and wedges in my bag.  One thing I can say for sure, is that equally lofted irons do not produce a similiar result.  For example, lets say you have a 37* chipper and a 37* 8 iron, which I do and have tested head to head.  The chipper seems to lift the ball quicker, higher, lands and rolls in a much more predictable pattern.  The 8iron barely lifted the ball off the ground and rolled much father.   I went thru my clubs to find what club (loft) would acheive a similiar trajectory and run out, with the same swing and I found it was not the eaually lofted 8 iron it was a GW @ 50*.  However, like I said, the GW was more incosistent, sometimes i checked a little, sometimes not, it was much harder to hit precisely and much harder to get the same roll-out.  But it was interesting that the GW provided a similiar trajectory, not an 8iron.  Same stroke, same length swing etc.  For some reason, the 37* 8 iron chip produced a much lower trajectory and rolls much more and was more incosistent and harder to predict the end result.

Any thoughts about my experience in genral or getting mine re-gripped with a putter grip?

Also, I see Oddyssey has since come out with a higher lofted 46* chipper.  I am curious if anyone has hit both and what your thoughts are.

Thanks MiniBlue, I wasnt aware of that rule, glad you brought that to my attention - that answers that questions.

Has anyone else have any experience with these?  Anyone have the 46* I wonder how it compares to the 37*

Note: This thread is 4664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!