IGNORED

Trap totally filled with water, where do you drop?

johnclayton1982
Note: This thread is 4657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is one of the most annoying things. It seems common place in a lot of courses for bunkers to be full of water

What is the rule about casual water? Free drop is it not? Same should apply here IMO.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

This is one of the most annoying things. It seems common place in a lot of courses for bunkers to be full of water

What is the rule about casual water? Free drop is it not? Same should apply here IMO.

It does, as long as you remain in the bunker.  There are several special rules which only apply to hazards.  Why shouldn't this?  It's written this way because otherwise players would always be dropping out of the bunker, whether they needed to or not.  That isn't fair to the other players who made better shots and avoided the bunker in the first place.  As mentioned above, it's the fault of the course for not properly assessing these situations and addressing them fairly.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It does, as long as you remain in the bunker.  There are several special rules which only apply to hazards.  Why shouldn't this?  It's written this way because otherwise players would always be dropping out of the bunker, whether they needed to or not.  That isn't fair to the other players who made better shots and avoided the bunker in the first place.  As mentioned above, it's the fault of the course for not properly assessing these situations and addressing them fairly.

Good point. It would be unfair to other players. Would the ruling remain if the bunker was full of water. ie. no sand to drop onto?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Would the ruling remain if the bunker was full of water. ie. no sand to drop onto?

Good question - see this thread for the answer: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/52046/trap-totally-filled-with-water-where-do-you-drop

Bill

Good point. It would be unfair to other players. Would the ruling remain if the bunker was full of water. ie. no sand to drop onto?

Yes, the only difference is that for your drop inside the bunker, you can drop at the point further from the hole that provides maximum relief (ie, where the water is shallowest).  Normally you only get a club length (IIRC, maybe not).

As Fourputt says, in the case that a bunker is totally submerged, the course management really has the responsibility for declaring it GUR to keep the course playable.  If they haven't done that, the players are stuck, just as they'd be stuck if the course failed to mow a green or otherwise maintained the course poorly.

If I were playing in a casual competition, I'd consider breaking this rule (with the assent of the rest of the players).  While the rules are the rules, if the course management has been derelict in their duties, I think it's reasonable to do their job for them.  I think you could make the case that the integrity of the competition is better served by breaking that rule than by forcing a player to take a penalty in a ridiculous situation.  In a real competition, you'd have the option of getting a ruling from the committee, so there you'd of course have to play as they rule.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by zeg

If I were playing in a casual competition, I'd consider breaking this rule (with the assent of the rest of the players).  While the rules are the rules, if the course management has been derelict in their duties, I think it's reasonable to do their job for them.  I think you could make the case that the integrity of the competition is better served by breaking that rule than by forcing a player to take a penalty in a ridiculous situation.  In a real competition, you'd have the option of getting a ruling from the committee, so there you'd of course have to play as they rule.

Agreed, and similarly, even if it's not competitive at all but you are posting a score for handicapping purposes, I'd consider breaking the rule as well. After all, your handicap is supposed to reflect your potential, and that potential is what you're capable of shooting IF the course is doing their job in maintaining the course properly such that the slope and rating are accurate. (I'm assuming of course that the bunkers weren't filled with water when the course was rated. )

Bill

Originally Posted by zeg

In a competition, if you come across something like this and can't immediately contact the organizer or committee for a ruling, you still have the option of invoking Rule 3-3 and playing the first ball from within the bunker but dropping where the water is shallowest (greatest possible relief) as allowed under Rule 25, then playing a second ball as if the bunker were ground under repair and dropping outside of the bunker.  Then you let the committee make the ruling before you return your card.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, I was way off.

I thought the question was....  Trap totally fillled with water, where do you drop could be answered by saying you should just drop em in the woods and pee there.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

Yikes.  So my 85 is actually an 88?

Thanks guys!  ;)

88 or 85.. the great thing about shooting a good round is that you know that you could have done much better and you can see where you lost strokes. Good job and let us know when you break into the 70's!

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

Rules are only rules when nothing else is stated.. Just keep in mind that if your group or organization, wishes to make adjustments to the rules PRIOR to play, it's all good..  In other words,, If it was agreed upon that certain traps are deemed unplayable due to water.. NO penalty is issues and relief is allowed..

Note: This thread is 4657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!