IGNORED

free ball: any good + should i try and use the same ball all the time

Note: This thread is 4711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 Q's for you

Q1.

i've heard you should use the same ball all the time, which kinda makes sense, however i play to a 28 handicap would it make much of a difference?

Q2.

also my single handicapper friend gives me balls he wont use, usually 'cos if ever i get free ones (days out!) i give them to him, he recently gave me a bag of the below, could you let me have your opinions on them:

Srixon

• AD333 x 1
  • Distance x 3
  • Z-Star x x 1
  • Softfeel x 1
  • Z-UR-S x 1

Titleist

Pro v1 x 4 (but my mate gets those back)

Dunlop

• DDH x 1
  • Tour x 1
  • DDH II x 1
  • Double Ti x 1
  • Steelcore x 1

TaylorMade

• Penta Td x 1
  • TP RED LDP x 1

Molitar

• 422 x 3

Pinnacle

• Gold x 4
  • Gold Distance x 2
  • Platinum x 1
  • Exception x 1
  • Gold Lady x 1

TopFlight

• XL High Trajectory x 4
  • SD Balata x 1
  • Titanium x 2
  • XL 2000 High Trajectory x 2
  • X2 Regular Trajectory
  • XL 5000 Long
  • XL Titanium T x 1
  • Titanium x 1
  • Tour 7 Balata x 1
  • XL Distance x 1

PLus another 10-15 of randoms (nike, wilson, maxfli, wilson staff, inesis etc)

so what should i use, what should i whack down the driving range

thanks in advance,

A

2 Q's for you

Q1.

i've heard you should use the same ball all the time, which kinda makes sense, however i play to a 28 handicap would it make much of a difference?

No, not really. You may notice some differences in distance, depending on the ballstriking, but I don't think it will make or break your game. A way to get balls cheap is by buying them used online.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You got a good friend there .  He's giving you a lot of nice balls.   Play them all and enjoy.  Sooner than later you figure out what balls you truely prefer

• Upvote 1

Stephen T.

+1

Balls may make a difference when your ball striking becomes very consistent.  Use free and inexpensive balls and put money saved towards lessons (or other equipment).

Originally Posted by fairwayguy2

You got a good friend there .  He's giving you a lot of nice balls.   Play them all and enjoy.  Sooner than later you figure out what balls you truely prefer

• Upvote 1

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Ive switched to Srixons so Im throwing in a vote for the Srixon Ad333 also.  Its a great ball and they are really affordable and they are on sale right now everywhere for like $12 a dozen for new in box.  When you get better you can step up to Srixon trispeeds or Z-stars.  IMO you should throw away all the Top Flight and Pinnacle balls, they are junk.  Having said that, the golfer makes the ball, the ball doesnt make the golfer.  You're getting free balls, worry about what youre playing when you get better.

Anecdotal stuff, my buddy who ive never seen shoot under 100 only plays pro-vs or equivalent tour quality balls which are $45+ a dozen.  He makes too much money and so he just buys the most expensive because of course the best is the most expensive.  Meanwhile i'm playing used bought online balls and shooting 85.

Note: This thread is 4711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!