IGNORED

7 iron for 145 yards. Am I too short?

very handicap
Note: This thread is 4626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dude, I'm 6'7" 350 lbs, and I'm 89 Yrs old, and I can hit an 7i 900 yards.....OK as absurd as that sounds...who cares!!!!

As long as you control your game and know your distances you are good.  I would rather know that I had a consistent 145 7i, than my typical adjustment.  I play a 7i anywhere from 140 to 160, depending on how well I am hitting that day.  It usually takes about 3 to 4 holes to gage accurately the distance, and often costs me a few extra shots.

A few months ago I played a friend that took me to school.  This guy played the entire round with and 8i, a sand wedge, and a putter and beat me by 4 strokes.  He wanted to prove to a buddy of our (and even me) that his course management skills and strategy was more important than the set that you have, or think you need.  In full disclosure he is 44, 5'9" and maybe 180 lbs....but he was playing with my wive cheap, no name, and "I wouldn't get caught dead playing with these" clubs.

So go out there and enjoy your game....don't worry about distance too much!

It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

You are absolutely fine.  An "average" 7 iron for a recreational player is only 5-10 more yards than what you are delivering.   If it is accurate, stick with it.

RBZ 9.5 Stiff

R11 14.0 Stiff

Superfast 18.0 3 hybrid Stiff

MP-52 4-PW - Stiff, full cord Golf Pride grips

Studio Select, Newport 2.5

ProV1x #5-8

I hit my 7 iron 165, usually pretty straight, usually a normal amount of height, but when I swing about 85% max power I find I add a significant amount of accuracy to my irons and sacrafice a miniscule amount of distance (about 150 to be exact).  So it doesn't matter how far you hit a specific club because you always have another club to hit it a little further, if you are having problems hitting a hybrid as far as on of your longer irons, you should just practice using that club more often instead of shying away from it when you think you should hit it (like I was with hitting a 3 wood off the ground, now its my favorite shot after lots of practice).

Well eventually you do run out of clubs. The real question though isn't what is more accurate between a 7 iron at 100% or 85%. It is what is more accurate between a 7 iron at 100% or a 6 at 85%?  For most people I would go with the 6 but some people have some pretty sharp drop offs as you get to the longer irons.

Originally Posted by Littlebigman

I hit my 7 iron 165, usually pretty straight, usually a normal amount of height, but when I swing about 85% max power I find I add a significant amount of accuracy to my irons and sacrafice a miniscule amount of distance (about 150 to be exact).  So it doesn't matter how far you hit a specific club because you always have another club to hit it a little further, if you are having problems hitting a hybrid as far as on of your longer irons, you should just practice using that club more often instead of shying away from it when you think you should hit it (like I was with hitting a 3 wood off the ground, now its my favorite shot after lots of practice).

Way to short...should be hitting a 7 about 300 at least on this forum

Whats in my bagboy.gifcallaway.gif FT-9 I-Mix Head on UST V2, callaway.gif Diablo 3 Wood, adams.gif A7 #3 and #4 Hybrid, adams.gif A7 5 - PW, cleveland.gif CG15 - 52, 56, 60, rife.gif Abaco

145 for a 7-irons isnt too bad.  Your ballflight would tell whether its just the distance that you hit that club or if theres something youre doing that is causing it.  Everyone hits the ball a different difference with a given club, so there really isnt a standard distance that you should hit each club.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 4626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!