IGNORED

Best of the New Drivers???

Note: This thread is 6194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone have any comments on comparing the original R7, the 425 and the Superquad? I had the original, hit it well - went to the 425 and never felt as confident nor hit it as long and now thinking about the Superquad. Also hearing good things about the FT5, but continue to be a Taylormade fan - any thoughts!?

In the Bag -

425 Stiff
Rapture 3W
Rescue 16 D X18 Irons 50 & 56 Putter ProV1

I'm a titleist fan, I would go with the Titleist 907 D2.

Carlos Garza
My Bag:
OGIO T-ZONE Stand Bag
Driver Titleist 907D1 9.5° Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Wood Titleist 906F2, 15°, UST ProForce V2 StiffHybrid Titleist 585.H 21° Proforce V2 100 Stiff FlexIrons Titleist 735 CM Project X 6.0 ShaftsGap Wedge Titleist 200 series 252.08Sand Wedge...

I recently played 18 holes with the new Callaway FT-i and I am definantly looking to buy one. This post is not a joke and I don't work for Callaway. I usually shoot around 86. My first shot with the driver... keep in mind it was the first time swinging the new driver and the first swing of the day... was sliced pretty far right, but lucked out and had a good approach to the green. Every drive after that was 280-315 straight down the middle. The 280 shots were 3/4swing... just trying to keep it in the middle of the smaller fairways. I did something I hadn't done in 4-5 years... I broke 80 and shot a 78. I should of had a 76, but I three putted two greens. Of course I go into the clubhouse determined to buy that exact demo driver. (I was the 1st to demo it) They guy told me he could NOT sell the demo, but he had another one for $499.99. What? $499.99?? I do a lot phone work for this course and they offered the club to me for $404.00 out the door. I'm now finding out that wasn't a bad deal. Either way... It's out of my range. My max is at $199.99. lol I'll wait 6 months and get it for around $199.99. I know this doesn't help with yur question, but just thought I'd brag about my 78 a little... lol

Anyone have any comments on comparing the original R7, the 425 and the Superquad? I had the original, hit it well - went to the 425 and never felt as confident nor hit it as long and now thinking about the Superquad. Also hearing good things about the FT5, but continue to be a Taylormade fan - any thoughts!?

I also love the R7 and naturally went to the 425. I did not like the 425 as much as the R7. It seems to me the 425 has more offset, and it messed with my mind at address. I have recently purchased a Callaway FT-3 and have been hitting it pretty well.

Taylor Made R7 Quad 9.5
Cleveland Comp 3 wood
Taylor Made 3 and 4 hybrids
Mizuno MP-30 Irons 4-PW
Taylor Made RAC TP wedgesOdyssey Putter

I have an older R7 from a friend of mine and hitting it decent in terms of staying in play, just not getting the yardage - probably 99.9% mental. Anyway, I'm about to take the plunge and get the Superquad - Does anyone know if the difference between the Superquad and the Superquad TP? More weights?

In the Bag -

425 Stiff
Rapture 3W

I just tried several new drivers including the SUMO2 and the Callaway FTI and my favorite was the Taylor Made R7 Superquad. I now have it in my bag and I haven't gained any distance over my Nike SQ Tour but I am hitting twice as many fairways with the nice high draw the club produces. You should at least give this club a try.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

I have the regular model. I'm not sure the exact difference in the Taylormade. But the Nike SQ Tour I was playing with was a lot different than the normal SQ. It didn't have nearly as elongated head so it was easier to work the ball and it had a lower launch angel. This did make the club much easier to work but I realized I'm not that good of a golfer and would rather just hit the same high draw off every tee, so this time I just bought the standard R7 Superquad. If you play a course that requires you to hit draws AND fades off the tee the Tour driver might be best for you. I could be totally wrong on that. But that's how the club fitter described it to me when he sold me the SQ Tour.

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

well - you convinced me - I just ordered it. I also saw this morning in the last Golf Digest that they rated it over the FTi and the Sumo. I guess I'll find out!

Thanks for your responses.

In the Bag -

425 Stiff
Rapture 3W

well - you convinced me - I just ordered it. I also saw this morning in the last Golf Digest that they rated it over the FTi and the Sumo. I guess I'll find out!

Hope it works as well for you as it does for me. Evey time I play, I'm happier with this driver. It's far and away the best driver I've ever owned, and only the second one I've ever liked. Yesterday I played in brutal conditions, with 45° temperature and 30+ mph wind. My normal swing with the Callaway is a high draw, which would have been relatively useless into that wind. So I played a knockdown swing and I was astonished. I hit a low draw that bored into the wind and managed some 240-250 yards. Then in a hurting left to right crosswind which has always been my nemesis, I hit the same shot and the ball hugged down the left side of the fairway, just turning back to the center with the wind at the end. I used to hit a 3 county slice in that sort of wind.

Yeah... I love this driver.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Which one did you order?

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel

the Superquad (not the TP). It's an American Express Rewards deal and I'm waiting for the voucher - what I'm trying to decide is regular or stiff. I had the stiff on the 425 - never hit it as well as the original r7 (which had regular), but my swing speed is about 105-110. What do you have?

In the Bag -

425 Stiff
Rapture 3W

My swing speed is around 120. I play with extra stiff shafts. I hit my 3 and 5 woods better with steel shafts and seriously considered putting a steel shaft on my driver but decided for the extra stiff graphite. I think with a speed of 110 you should at least have stiff. Go to www.golfsmith.com and check out the custom fitting page. It will ask a few questions about your swing and reccomend a shaft.

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel

R7 Superquad vs Titleist 907 vs Callaway FT5 vs Nike SUMO

What I would buy and what you SHOULD buy might be two different drivers. It kind of depends on a lot of variables, such as swing speed...ball speed...consistency...accuracy...distance...tempo and transition speed...trajectory, etc. They will all give different results. Some will be better for certain players, and others will be better for a different group of players. The shaft in any of them will also play a big role.

Btw, I hit all of the drivers that you mentioned on demo day at the golf course during the PGA Show and heard comments from others hitting all of those drivers while I was there. Each one had favorable ratings as they were being hit. Personally, I didn't like the Nike or Callaway AT ALL. Yet, other guys did like them. My choice would be the TM quad or the TM BURNER ( verrrry long and straight hitting driver). If you guys are looking for the ultimate driver...why are you not studying what the men in the Re/Max world long drive championship use for heads and shafts? Their whole gig and business is to hit it long and straight. PGA tour players get PAID to play a driver and everything is custom made for their swing, including internal weighting changes within the head to alter flight. This is something you'll NEVER get off the rack. What are you looking for in a driver and how do you play?

My swing speed is anywhere from 95 to 105, my hdcp is 7 although depending ont he course, I can play to a 4 or a 15, you know - find it, lose it, find it again. I know my biggest hurdle is mental. However, being in play off the tee (with reasonable distance) seems to drive my scoring. I'm getting the Superquad - I'm just confused about shafts - you read articles all the way from grip and rip to swing only 80%. Too much info.

In the Bag -

425 Stiff
Rapture 3W

If you don't at least try the Ping Rapture you've made a big mistake.

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

Note: This thread is 6194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!