IGNORED

Backyard putting green...

SuaSponteMn
Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes, looks nice. My guess would be around 6k. Prices for artificial green run between $7 to $10 per ft. when having it installed.

A quick search shows that a compactor runs at $35 a day.

If I was going to do it, I would do artificial for sure unless you are loaded.  To have a real grass green that is pretty descent will be a ridiculous amount of money spent in time and maintenance!!!  It's just not worth the effort there.

Now I would be all for an artificial green if it's something you can afford and will use.  Just look at the one above...that's is NICE!!

For me personally, I would rather go to the course and do it there and maybe work on stoke issues at home. But getting to the course for me is no big deal like it is for some.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

200 square feet? That's not very big. Assuming a one-foot margin and a 10 x 20 foot rectangle, the longest putt you could make corner to corner would only be 21 feet. If that's as big as you can make it just practice inside and save the cash.

Hmm. The longest putt would be 26 ft and chipping would be worthwhile, too.

Would you consider 7.5 x 28 feet plus 2 feet fringe at the small ends be too short? What would be the minimum length you'd recommend?

Originally Posted by Hollister

Would you consider 7.5 x 28 feet plus 2 feet fringe at the small ends be too short? What would be the minimum length you'd recommend?

In my opinion , 26ft is plenty sufficient. You want your main focus to be on putts within 15ft. Anything beyond 20ft should always be considered a lay-up putt with regard to putting it within 2ft diameter from the center of the hole. This is what my instructor (when I had one) used to teach and it helped me drastically. A 25ft putt is not "uncommon" but it is definitely not something you should be upset about if you don't drop it. Therefore, it should not be a main concern in your repetitions for putting.

( EDIT : Working on 15 footers actually helped me with touch. Once I knew what 15 ft off the putter actually looked like and felt like, I was able to level out the swing in my mind as "okay, so I'm around 20 ft.. bring the putter back an extra few inches". 30 ft, double the 15ft stroke, etc.)

Again - this is only my opinion and it worked for me . I'm not preaching guarantees or the way it is . Anyway, feel free to call me over to try out your green LOL. I'll bring the buds

I found a picture that would represent the green I plan to build. My putting surface would be a bit longer (28 ft) and I would have up to 30 ft chipping distance to reach the beginning of the green.

Before I invite you over, I have to think about cup placements and ondulations.

(example of what my green could/should/would look like)

Putting Green

• Administrator

Yeah, no, it wouldn't. Not if it's 10 x 20 with a one-foot margin. That's a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where a = 9, b = 19, and thus c^2 = 442, so c = 21 feet. Plus you wouldn't be standing on the green and you'd easily roll the ball off the green if you miss since it's not far from the corner or the edges.

Originally Posted by Hollister

If you can build that green (out of synthetic turf), do it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Would your answer be: get more turf?

If so, how much to make sense for your perspective?

That was in response to your math. 21 feet.

If you can get some 25 feet or more putts - because it's not 10 x 20 - go for it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

that is a really nice green bro... good job! i am fairly jealous...

although it does seem you need to spend more time on there, as theres 3 golf balls no where near the hole LOL haha jk

Originally Posted by TD22057

DO IT!  I convinced the wife that we should get rid of the grass in our back yard and just have an artificial (sand filled) putting green several years ago.  It always looks great and requires almost no upkeep.

I use it 4-5 times a week and it has made a HUGE difference in my putting.  Could I have improved my putting even more with the same amount of time at a real putting green at the course?  Absolutely.  The course has more variation in putts, longer putts, and a better roll.  But the closest course to me is a 45 min round trip which means I never go there just to putt.  Having the green in my back yard has been great because it's so convenient. I have a small (4'x5') area of fringe at one end that I use to hit chips as well.  Basically the same length chip over and over but I vary the trajectory, spin, etc and I'm a better chipper than the 2 roughly scratch players I play with all the time.

This is about 700 sq ft:

Yes, looks nice. My guess would be around 6k. Prices for artificial green run between $7 to $10 per ft. when having it installed.

A quick search shows that a compactor runs at $35 a day.

That's pretty close - I think it was in the $8.50-$9/sq ft range when everything was said and done.  A bit pricey up front, but with no more watering, mowing, and weeding, plus a putting green to practice on it was well worth it to me.

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

Probably the best argument for your significant other is that it looks like real grass yet it stays green year round and never has to be mowed. Do the whole yard!

:whistle:

Actually - we just re-did our front yard with fake grass (we basically live in a desert so it's nice to avoid watering).  It's a fairly new product and looks incredible.  Each of the blades are different shades of green,  reflect light differently, have slightly different lengths, and there is tan thatch woven into the base so it looks extremely real.  People think our front yard looks fake from far away because it looks too good.  Then we they get close and look at the turf, they think it's real - that's how good the stuff looks up close.  We've had a lot people walking buy bend down and poke at the yard to try to figure out if it's fake or not.

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

• 1 year later...

Tell her that one guy on the sand trap siad that his wife suprised him with one on his 40th buirthday and he says their marriage has never been better ;-)

As it turns out my backyard tournament is one of her favorite days of the summer - Because we get the gardens all weeded and in good shape.

Next you'll want a fish pond for a "water hole".

you can see some pix here:

http://www.facebook.com/golfmats#!/media/set/?set=a.229458777079975.75955.133617603330760&type;=3

That reminds me I better get this years pictures up!

jay

Your picts are priceless - I saw them a while ago.

Due to injury I pushed digging to this fall. Sad, I know.

Been thinking about a possible 6 hole course the last months. Two straight par 3s, two par five round-the-house-dog-leg hole (could be a par 6 hole, too) and two par four. Aha, gotta have something to do in the Winter... Well, my green will be behind the house. "Better put a bush there, it will hide your playground nicely." Yep, dear, whatever you say...

Did you try to use foam balls? Those rings (BirdieBall, right?) look a little strange and I never saw them in stores here in Europe. I bought yellow foam balls and they play nicely.

Furthermore, I am still not sure on how to shape the green - slopes, hole locations. Gotta draft it and up it here soon. Winter is coming, time is running!

PS: Thanks for unearthing this thread - good reminder that I am not the only crazy guy out there  :D

PPS: Here is the most read backyard green thread I stumbled upon so far. Epic. And this green is just great, too. Mine will be a small one like in post #24

I've got a backyard that has some slopes and flat spots. This thread has me thinking about seeing how close my mower can cut it now...

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

If I had enough money to build a real putting green, I think I'd have enough money to hire someone from a nearby course to maintain it.

With that said, I doubt I'll ever have that kind of money, so should I ever build anything, it's likely going to be artificial.

Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!