IGNORED

New Putter

Dent
Note: This thread is 6219 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

okay so im about to get a new putter and spend a good sum of money for one. But what i really want to know is..will it actually give me better putting? Better roll? better accuracy? If i spend 179 dollars on a putter will it actually give me better results than a 38 dollar putter I can buy? whats the difference? If i spend more money will i get better results?

BTW, here are my choices:

Yes Victoria II
Yes Sophia
Yes Marilyn
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I don't think so--I frankly don't understand why people are willing to spend a small fortune on a putter. If it his the ball square, gives me a good line of sight, and picks up the ball off the ground without me having to bend over, it's a good putter.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I bought the Yes Sophia last year & I really like it. (I noticed this weekend Jerry Kelly uses one). You have to try them out. It's a feel thing. If buying an expensive putter would improved your game, we'd all have Scotty Cameron's? I'm from the 'Peg too, so go to Golf Town and try a few putters on their putting greens... I personally don't like the big, colourfull, Star Trekki looking kind, I prefer the small blade style.

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22°

Ping G2 steel 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PW 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60° or Nike SV Tour 50°

Yes! Sophia blade

thanks alot. Do you notice if it improves your putting at all?
In My Bag

5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I just purchased a two bar putter ( http://www.guerinrife.com ) and it is the best thing I have ever used. Every time I stand over a putt my only thoughts are of the ball going in the back of the cup.

The putter might not be the prettiest on the market but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I suggest you head out to your local dealer and try it.

It rocks (and no I am not in any way affiliated with two bar!)

Jase

"He has put some hurt on that ball Jack!"

Driver: R7 (BIGDOG)
3 wood: Ovation Tight Lies 630 VCG-RB
Hybrid: Staff 21 degreeIrons: 690 CB forged (4-PW)Wedges: 54 degreePutter: Guerin Rife Two Bar MalletBall: Bridgestone tour 330Home Course: http://gailesgolf.com.au

I think that your confidence in your putter makes a heck of a lot more difference than the actual brand a price. I recently changed because I just didn't feel good standing over putts with my old $20 hippo putter. It wasn't the putters fault, I just needed a change of scenery. I upgraded to a Yes! Tiffany putter, and have hit some putts with it that even surprised me, so my confidence with the club is great right now. If you can find a $10 putter that instills confidence in your when you line it up, by all means go for it. When it's time to change you won't feel it in the wallet as much. There are lots of stories from around the Tour where guys change putters in the middle of tournaments, and even barrow them. Like I said. It's all about feel.

What's in my Edge stand bag
G10 10.5*
Z-Steel 3 wood 14.5* 403-AD 18* & 21* Hybrids Burner 09 4-pw DGS300 Z TP 52* & RAC TP Black 56* White Steel 2 Ball SRT 35" Tour B330s

[QUOTE=Dent;46087] If i spend 179 dollars on a putter will it actually give me better results than a 38 dollar putter I can buy? whats the difference? If i spend more money will i get better results?
QUOTE]

It may give you better results than the $38 buck putter...but the next question is, will the $179 putter give you the results of a $220 putter?
(A few pros have won PGA events with $5 putters out of the used bin)

As others have said, it's all about feel and roll. A $39 putter probably isn't going to have the same level of engineering as a $179 putter, but then again, there are plenty of people successfully using basic blade models without any sort of advanced face technology.

When I picked out my new putter it came down to the Rife mallet, the Yes! Tiffany, and the Nike Unitized. Don't get me wrong, the Nike felt great, but at close to $300 I just couldn't justify it. The feel of the Yes lineup and the Rife series is nearly identical - at least I thought so (the technology in the face is very similar). On the day I bought, I just happened to sink more putts with the Yes, so that's what I bought. There is no substitute for knocking a few hundred balls around the shop.

Since you'll take more strokes per round with your putter than any of your other clubs (and in some cases as many as all your other clubs combined), I'd argue that the putter should be the club you really spend the most on. That being said, I'll drop $500 on a new driver in a heartbeat, but still struggle to part with $150 for a putter.

My Website: Qwowi Golf

In my Atlas Bag:
Driver: R7 SuperQuad 9.5° VS Proto 65-S
3+ Wood: G10 4 Wood: G10 Hybrid: 585H VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PWGap Wedge: Vokey 200 Series 52°Sand Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56°Lob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Bettinardi BC1

I think there should be some difference but I agree that it's all about confidence and feel. If you are confident with a $20 putter then by all means keep it. But let's be honest, if you drop down some $ on a putter you are going to be happier with it and probably more confident. I think it's very important to get the putter fitted. I see so many people buy standard 35" putters and they can't line their eyes up over the ball because the putter is too long.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

It's a great question for sure...I recently bought a Scotty Cameron Circa 62, which is BY FAR the most I've ever spent on a putter. 4 degrees of loft supposedly provides the best roll, and they really are works of art. HOWEVER, I have to heep reminding myself that Bobby Jones rolled 'em pretty well in 1930 with his wooden-shafted, old-world putter "Calamity Jane" when he won the first Grand Slam.

In my opinion, it's all about confidence. Confidence = smooth, consistant stroke. If you can get this confidence for $38, do it!

In my bag...
DRIVER: TaylorMade R5, 9.5
HYBRID: Halo 2i
IRONS: FTX
WEDGES: 52, 56, Izett 60PUTTER: Cameron Circa 62 #3

thanks all, i guess best thing to do is actually try them all. Right now i can tel you i do not have confidence when it comes to putting. Its probably my mental game but it also could be that my old putter is chipped and full of scratches. Ill try an expensive putter and a less expensive and see if i notice any difference.
In My Bag

Your putter is a very personal thing. Price is really not, or shouldn't be a consideration. That being said, quality of the club is important, although you can find a quality clubs for as little as $30. The most important thing is how it feels in your hands and your comfort putting with it. Putting is a very mental game. When you look at your putter, you need to have confidence in your club that you can make the putt. Once you lose that confidence you might as well pull that putter from you bag and find a new one.

David
Discount Clone Golf Clubs

thanks all, i guess best thing to do is actually try them all. Right now i can tel you i do not have confidence when it comes to putting. Its probably my mental game but it also could be that my old putter is chipped and full of scratches. Ill try an expensive putter and a less expensive and see if i notice any difference.

Yeah, just try em all. Make sure you get the right length though. I think that's very important. So many people get the standard 35" and it's too long. I had an old putter and I wasn't making anything, then got this Milled Series putter last summer and the very next round started making putts. Probably had nothing to do with the actual putter but rather me

thinking I had a better putter. Of course, so far this year I haven't made anything.... perhaps time for a new putter.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I would have to agree with gunmetal! I thing I would say is that you can tell when you first swing a putter if you'll like it or not. I found that my putter felt great when just having a practice with it, this in turn led to me being confident when standing over a putt. You can definitely tell a well balanced and weighted putter when you hold one!

Be prepared to try them all - even those strange looking ones!

BigDog!

"He has put some hurt on that ball Jack!"

Driver: R7 (BIGDOG)
3 wood: Ovation Tight Lies 630 VCG-RB
Hybrid: Staff 21 degreeIrons: 690 CB forged (4-PW)Wedges: 54 degreePutter: Guerin Rife Two Bar MalletBall: Bridgestone tour 330Home Course: http://gailesgolf.com.au

thanks alot. Do you notice if it improves your putting at all?

Putting has always been the best part of my game, but i really like the Sophia. Jerry Kelly used one on the weekend. Its small, heavy, and rolls very nice. I replaced the grip (nice, but i didn't like yellow) so i bought the new Winn extra wide. Used it for 2 hours on a putting green today. When u hit the sweet spot it sounds REAL nice! Putting is such a personal thing. It's tough to walk into a place like Golf Town & see all those putters. Try a ton of them and see what feels good. The 2-ball White Steel last year felt right for me until i tried the Sophia ( i wasn't even looking for a putter, damn you Golf Town

). My son has my 2-ball now.

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22°

Ping G2 steel 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PW 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60° or Nike SV Tour 50°

Yes! Sophia blade

i feel most scottys are balanced and can help you roll out a nice putt if your fundamentals are already correct. just make sure its properly fitted as others have stated.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Note: This thread is 6219 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!